P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Selling on Discogs
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Transcendence

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Selling on Discogs Reply with quote

We've been selling our leftover mailorder stock on Discogs for the last year or so and I must say that generally speaking, I've been quite satisfied with the site. Despite the relatively high commission fee charged by Discogs, listing and selling items is quite straight forward.

On the hundreds of transactions that we've done over the last year, only two or three were problematic, but the one we encountered last week is of another kind, and I'd like to obtain feedback from Discogs users on this forum about the situation:

A while ago, we listed a Beastcraft CD on Discogs. When we initially listed the CD for sale, we made sure that it matched the appropriate version/catalog number, but we had overlooked the specifications pertaining to this item's CD Matrix Code. We sold a first copy of the album with no problem whatsoever, but a buyer who purchased a copy we re-listed sent us an e-mail complaining that the matrix code did not match the one listed on Discogs and opened a Paypal dispute, yet everything else concerning the CD matched the said version. In other words, the CD is completely legitimate (we obtained it directly from Black Seed Productions a few years ago) and perfectly fine, except the matrix number on the back of the CD.

Although I do recognize the fact that it is ultimately the seller's responsibility to verify everything matches with the version under which one is selling one's item, it seems to me that it isn't reasonable to ask sellers to verify matrix codes for all the CDs they are selling; Had this CD been a rare item, then I could understand this buyer's complaint, but we're talking about a commonplace $7 CD here. Why bother complaining if everything is the same except the matrix number?

Furthermore, I thought ultimately one purchased a CD for the music and aesthetics? Since when are matrix codes an important element to consider in the grand scheme of things? I've been purchasing CDs for years, and not once have I even bothered to look at matrix codes or such futile details. Perhaps I am naive and this is a collector's type of thing to do?

Has anyone else here (sellers especially) experienced this type of situation? I've encountered 'lost' packages issues in the past, but this matter is completely new to me.
lsid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold a copy of Rhapsody Of Fire's From Chaos To Eternity a year or so ago on ebay and the buyer wanted detailed information...catalog number, barcode, matrix etc. There are several pressings of this album on cd so I guess they wanted to be absolutely sure that what they were buying is the exact one they are looking for.

Maybe the person who purchased your cd already has the pressing that you sent him and was wanting the exact first press with the "correct" matrix. Maybe the person thought what you sold was a bootleg as it didn't have the matrix code listed on Discogs. Not saying your selling bootlegs or anything, just saying that some people are very particular about such things. Me, I don't care, unless it's a rarer cd...then again bootlegs are coming out with the correct matrix codes all the time which makes it more difficult to tell if it's genuine or not.
Carpathian Florist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he wanted the ultimate definite undisputed first press version to hoard for later ebay profit

NOBODY KNOWS IM A WEREWOLF
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post a disclaimer at the bottom of every listing.

NO FUCKING RETARDS PLEASE!

If the album plays and looks good, who fucking cares where it came from or who made it?

I fucking hate collectors. Should all be shot dead.

The world would be far better off with no bar codes, no matrix numbers, no bullshit tracking devices to monitor and file every single goddamned miniscule thing made.
Aaattaack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but this simply the risk when you offer paypal. They simply dont care for sellers, sooner or later you will experience a rip off.
TerrorFromBehind

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch wrote:
Post a disclaimer at the bottom of every listing.

NO FUCKING RETARDS PLEASE!

If the album plays and looks good, who fucking cares where it came from or who made it?

I fucking hate collectors. Should all be shot dead.

The world would be far better off with no bar codes, no matrix numbers, no bullshit tracking devices to monitor and file every single goddamned miniscule thing made.

+1
brutalman1488

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the difference of discogs from ebay that if you sell smth you must be sure that you sell exactly the same version as listed if you have another one - you must create your own release on discogs
if your cd have another matrix or another artwork - this is Your mistake

for me fo exmp it is not a problem if cd cost 5 eur
but i will ask my money back if you will send me repress of cd which cost 50 eur for exmp.

PS i prefer to buy cds on discogs
but last 2 months i am in shock from sellers
5 sellers cancelled orders with explanation - "I do not want to sell it now",
"I just want to check is anyone who want it fror such price", "I do not have it anymore"...((
The_Elite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately this is what happens with discogs far more than ebay. It's like an autists wet dream, matrix numbers galore... the product info on there isn't faultless as it's user designed so you just have to be wary, but one Beastcraft cd in 100 orders- fuck it.

I sort of wish labels would just do generic cd releases- no tape, no vinyl so people might (I say might!) start buying albums to actually listen to again.
captainretardo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like you want to reap the benefits of discogs (selling) while not complying with their method of doing so (listing specific presses of albums, rather than just selling 'some copy'). Your reason of not wanting to comply with their method seems to be simply that you 'have too much stuff and can't be bothered checking the info on each.'

That's lame.

Since your complaint/sale ratio is so low, you can probably get by with continuing to do what you've been doing. However, you should *absolutely* honor any complaint you get from a buyer if they received a different press than the one you listed.

I buy old records (60s/70s presses) fairly often, and am often interested in a very specific press, generally because it is considered to be the best-sounding. If I buy that specific press on discogs but receive a different one, I would definitely ask for a refund & mail the record back.

Most of these records I buy are cheap, and I don't understand why you think it's relevant to mention that this wasn't a high-dollar transaction. The amount of money spent is irrelevant; you listed a particular pressing of an album for sale, someone bought it, and you sent them a different press. Their reason(s) for wanting that exact press are also irrelevant.

You made an error, albeit an unintentional one, and should honor their refund request.
Descension

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captainretardo wrote:
It sounds to me like you want to reap the benefits of discogs (selling) while not complying with their method of doing so (listing specific presses of albums, rather than just selling 'some copy'). Your reason of not wanting to comply with their method seems to be simply that you 'have too much stuff and can't be bothered checking the info on each.'

That's lame.

Since your complaint/sale ratio is so low, you can probably get by with continuing to do what you've been doing. However, you should *absolutely* honor any complaint you get from a buyer if they received a different press than the one you listed.

I buy old records (60s/70s presses) fairly often, and am often interested in a very specific press, generally because it is considered to be the best-sounding. If I buy that specific press on discogs but receive a different one, I would definitely ask for a refund & mail the record back.

Most of these records I buy are cheap, and I don't understand why you think it's relevant to mention that this wasn't a high-dollar transaction. The amount of money spent is irrelevant; you listed a particular pressing of an album for sale, someone bought it, and you sent them a different press. Their reason(s) for wanting that exact press are also irrelevant.

You made an error, albeit an unintentional one, and should honor their refund request.

This is the unfortunate fact of the matter. discogs.com was created to be even more anti-social than eBay. Everything, including the matrix, is the foundation for the categorization that they are trying to document. Beware of that. And really, according to their database, the wrong release was sold. You could specify in your "about" section that you cannot check this, blah blah, and FOAD to anyone who does not understand that for future sales however.
Cursed Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really did nothing wrong, then tell him to shove it and blacklist him afterwards. Simple as that.
Humus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have been buying CD's for well over a decade before I first heard of a matrix code. And now it seems to be of the upmost importance, even for a 5 dollar CD.
I can imagine CD-collecting to be loads of fun now. Comparing numbers on the bottom of a CD, with the recent wave of (quasi-)identical bootlegs even comparing fonts.

If I ever sell my CD's and I have guys asking about matrix codes on 5 dollar CD's I'll strongly advice them to fuck off.
Transcendence

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was interesting to read the feedback expressed here. My sentiments echo most of the points brought up by quite a few people here, namely:

Quote:
Comparing numbers on the bottom of a CD, with the recent wave of (quasi-)identical bootlegs even comparing fonts.

However, I'd like to address your post captainretardo:

Quote:

That's lame.

I believe I wasn't precise enough in explaining the case at hand, so let me clarify something here, and this points to a flaw identified by The_Elite here, namely that 'the product info on there isn't faultless as it's user designed': The CD is the first one listed in the versions of this page: http://www.discogs.com/Beastcraft-Baptised-In-Blood-And-Goatsemen/master/20171. This isn't a case where there could be ambiguity with other versions as you can see from the list displayed there. And yes, there is certainly a difference to be made between the examples you bring up in your post (collectors items/looking for very specific pressings) and ours. Furthermore, suppose the CD is sealed (as it is the case for many of the items we have for sale) and I do not have access to the precious matrix code, how would you proceed then?

Again, I will reiterate what I said in my initial post: I certainly recognize that it is ultimately our fault for not having double-checked this detail (i.e. the matrix code) and I am willing to refund him. I do make sure that when list an album for sale that it matches the Discogs listing, but in this specific case, I find the buyer's complaint to be far-fetched (see explanation above) even though he is technically correct in the fact that the matrix code differs from the one submitted by a user for Discogs.

As I said previously, the vast majority of Discogs buyers aren't nerds who compulsively behave in such a way, so I certainly cannot generalize based on this case.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just say, by sheer coincidence, I bought a couple LPs from our friend Transcendence on Sunday afternoon, a province away. They arrived TODAY. Dude is rad at shipping, communicating, packing, pricing and listing. A fucking matrix number? Get fucking real....

Tell this fuckin' macaroon to go jump in the lake, and let him know your friend holy ghost said so....
captainretardo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, most of you guys can't seem to look past the "complaining about a matrix code on a $5 cd? Fuck that buyer" part about the topic. Yes, I agree that it is weird that someone would care about a matrix on a cheap album on cd format. Yes, I had no idea that cds even had such things until a coupla years ago (thanks, internet). Yes, I would be fucking annoyed if I were the seller here. etc

But none of that is relevant within discogs' marketplace, which is what I thought OP was asking about. The only relevant thing is that someone bought a specific press of an album, via discogs' highly-organized marketplace, but instead received a different pressing. For that reason, the buyer is within their rights to complain.

Reading the OP, I felt like Transcendence didn't fully grasp that, although the 2nd post indicates he/she does.

Transcendence wrote:
The CD is the first one listed in the versions of this page: http://www.discogs.com/Beastcraft-Baptised-In-Blood-And-Goatsemen/master/20171. This isn't a case where there could be ambiguity with other versions as you can see from the list displayed there..

From a 'discogs perspective,' this is not true; it's a different version. It's important to realize that not all versions of albums are on discogs. This case clearly indicates that, as you had a version with same catalog # as a listed entry, but a different matrix. While the fact that someone would care about that on a $5 cd from 2007 is mindboggling, it's still a different press from the discogs viewpoint.

In theory, if you want to fully comply with discogs' system, you should create a new page for your version, and list it for sale. Is it worth doing that? Quite likely not (I wouldn't). However, by refusing to do that, you leave yourself open to someone being pissed for getting a different press than what they ordered. While that won't happen often, it will sometimes.

You can either leave your listings as-is and expect the occasional complaint from an autistitard (which imo should be honored), or be more careful when listing stuff; it's just one of the disadvantages to selling on discogs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: