P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

1993... were you DEATH or BLACK?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaybe729

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that was 20 yrs ago! i was fresh out of high school, on a diet of ramen noodles and malt liquor, listening to punk rock and hardcore..Those were the days...if anything, i knew very little of black metal, but my room mate's buddy would jam napalm death every so often..
nekromaniak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was listening to asian pop music during 93
VATRA I SUMPOR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In '93 I was into these:

IntoGloryRide

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chit019 wrote:
Was Michael Jackson in 1993 white or Black? now he's Death for sure though. But did he wear sweatpants or leather? Only the elite knows.

Winner!
Deviationist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1993 a year of misery. I can still remember My emotions so confused. My soul was seeking answers.
Downtuned & Morbid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1993... were you DEATH or BLACK? Reply with quote

Downtuned & Morbid wrote:
Self-explanatory question to all those who were there...

I should've defined "there" a bit more clearly, I think.

Were you involved in the scene in '93? Were you tape-trading, going to gigs, buying records, reading zines?

The question probably only applies to people aged 34/35+.

But then, I guess this thread's humorists probably knew that anyway... Smile
Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deviationist wrote:
1993 a year of misery. I can still remember My emotions so confused. My soul was seeking answers.
Laughing
Stalinorgel
banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please let's all share our private Summer-camp diaries and high-shool photo-albums together.

Seriously, 1993 was Mercyful Fate "In the Shadows" and Venom "In Memorium" (both on CD) for me. That was enough inspiration - but also enough money spent - for a whole year, back then.
karimlan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 17 at the time, a young Thrasher who was getting into Death and Doom Metal and getting increasingly annoyed by the rising number of friends who were ditching Metal for that grunge crap Very Happy (remember those times?)

I eventually heard stuff by Emperor, Mayhem etc. but the sound just wasn't what I was looking for at the time..... and I thought the make-up was silly.

In saying that though, I was already into Venom, Celtic Frost / Hellhammer and Mercyful Fate.

Fast forward to '96 and I get Bathory's "Blood Fire Death" but I'm still not into 90s Black Metal.

It was only in late 2000 that it eventually clicked with me.
asmael LeBouc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1993... Knee-deep in:

And crazy about:

TRADE / WANT LIST ! ! ! :
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12006/
Good sellers/traders: ChapelOfDoom, thetrueevil/ GoldenBull, Hobophobic, NWN PROD
LuiSlayer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1993, I was 14. I had just met the older Metalheads from my high-school and they lent me tapes that they were getting from their older brothers and/or friends at university. So, I started getting tapes with Death, Entombed, Morbid Angel, Nocturnus, Sarcóf ago, Bolt-Thrower and so on, besides the usual Thrash bands. I remember I got a dub tape with "Masters of Brutality" comp. It was filled with great bands like Loudblast, Unleashed and Grave that were more hard to find back then (at least for me and my friends).
On that year, I also went to my first gig to see WC Noise (Thrash) and Sacred Sin (Death) and, later on the same year, I also saw Decayed, which was the first time I heard the term Black Metal.
It was only in 1994 that I started listening to Black Metal bands. A friend of mine, who is Finnish, went there on vacation and brought back Darkthrone "UAFM", Emperor/Enslaved split and Beherit "DDTM".
I started listening more to Black and I even sold my dub tapes to make money to get BM records. I also traded some DM cds for BM ones, a thing that I regret today...
DSS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1993... were you DEATH or BLACK? Reply with quote

Self-explanatory question to all those who were there...

I should've defined "there" a bit more clearly, I think.

Were you involved in the scene in '93? Were you tape-trading, going to gigs, buying records, reading zines?

I think back then almost everyone was into tape trading. I still have a shit load of rehearsals, live shows and demos from those days. It was hard to find this stuff at your local store. Although by this time Death Metal CDs were being sold everywhere. Also the "imported" stuff was priced at $30 to $40.

Buying records? Of course! They were cheaper than CDs!! And the older people were replacing their records with CDs for some reason so you could find some great albums for cheap.

Gigs and zines went hand in hand. Lots of people did their own zines and if you didn't then you most likely thought about doing it. Locally the zines were sold at the gigs. You would also trade your zine for demo tapes with the band(s) playing at the gig. There always was a table/booth with lots of goodies for cheap. I don't know how it is like today. I think I stopped going to gigs in 1997/98.
Botmuyl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was listening to 2 Unlimited, and Turn up the Bass tapes with crap like James Brown is Dead on it haha. Also had the first Tour of Duty soundtrack tape that I played a lot. On the verge of checking out metal I think. In 1994 I got Youthanasia for my 14th birthday.

Excellent deals with: Ravn, Nemesis, R.J., madcow
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1993... were you DEATH or BLACK? Reply with quote

Post tabloid-style black metal reportage, black metal turned on death metal - there was a huge divide. Many jumped ship, denouncing bands that they'd previously worshipped, forgetting how many of them had made statements along the lines of "we hate fake death metal bands and we'll find out who the trendies are when they move on to the next big thing." Well, the next big thing was black metal and most of the said bands did indeed move on.

People used to rage about black metal, how incompetent the musicians were, how un-detuned it was, how bad the production was, etc.

I just put it into the playlist with the death metal and a few select speed metal bands. It was clearly true to the metal spirit and wasn't that much different from Swedish death metal, especially the At the Gates and Merciless varieties.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is fun, I mean it's cool to see our resident bunch of mid/late-20 morons -who obviously started with black metal in '98-'99- claim they got into it in 1993. Not as pathetic as nowadays people still taking seriously all the "rules" and anti-trend bullshit stated back then, but quite close.

As for myself, I kept listening to my Morrisound/Sunlight records without giving two shits what was popular and what wasn't. I liked Darkthrone and Cannibal Corpse equally and still do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 6 of 13

Jump to: