P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

1993... were you DEATH or BLACK?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saevus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9 and listening to Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith and The Grateful Dead.
Subcide

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was Death, but that was mainly due to the confrontational (but very stratigic) "anti-Death Metal" tact the original 2nd wave of black metal bands were using to stamp there name on the world at the time i.e. you were forced to take sides and to me it felt like band wagon jumping to ditch one genre in favour of another.
By 1995 though, that tactic was in the past and black metal was the dominant extreme metal genre. It was then that a majority of my metal listening became black. Unfortunately it was also then that the barrage of band wagon jumping clone bands came through....
Downtuned & Morbid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subcide wrote:
I was Death, but that was mainly due to the confrontational (but very stratigic) "anti-Death Metal" tact the original 2nd wave of black metal bands were using to stamp there name on the world at the time i.e. you were forced to take sides and to me it felt like band wagon jumping to ditch one genre in favour of another.
By 1995 though, that tactic was in the past and black metal was the dominant extreme metal genre. It was then that a majority of my metal listening became black. Unfortunately it was also then that the barrage of band wagon jumping clone bands came through....

AT LAST... Was beginning to think I had imagined this!
Weltering in Blood

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of 1992 I was JUST hearing the "new" Black Metal bands after I got a tape with Sodomistic Rituals, Taog Eht Fo Htao Eht, beherit and some other shit on it. I'd leaned towards the more Satanic Death/Thrash/Speed bands before anyway but this was something really fucking nightmarish. I was young then, had just discovered the underground a year before and this new stuff just made DEICIDE (The most evil stuff I'd heard by then) sound fucking gay...killer. Gotta admit, I did become one of the "Black Metal Only" teenagers then, which was dumb in hingsight but given the atmosphere of the underground then, when it all got really polarised, I don't think I was alone. The "vibe" from that scene just felt a lot more genuine and serious and more evil than anything else. What teenage boy wouldn't think it was attractive? Today people would laugh at something like Mayhem but Europe seemed a different place back then, people were shocked by it all, maybe it was the tail end of a truly Christian Europe? Funny now looking at some of the bands I thought were ultra evil back then...today they're hilariously gay.

Last edited by Weltering in Blood on Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
mlotek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neither black nor death, was so sick of both. Turned to Stompin' Tom, and Hank Williams Sr.
JJ ASSHOLE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
I was 13.... I was into..... METALLICA!!!!

Ha! Same here,only replace Metallica with Danzig for me.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, ("mainstream") death metal didnt really start turning gay until well into the second wave of BM. Thats when melodeath and all the seeds of deathcore and shit got planted.

On topic.....Iwas 7 years old. Fast forward a two or three years and my big "thing" was going to the hospital to watch my mother die....now here I am. Confused

ONLY DEATH IS REAL
Iscariah

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were discovering death metal around 88 so around the time 92 I was listening to a local radio show which was run by Obtained Enslavement and also another one run by Tore Bratseth from Old Funeral and they played alot of Mayhem and the demos from Rotting Christ etc. The term Black metal was new to me (except from the Venom album). However, as much as we liked Black Metal, we were much more into old Death Metal sounds from Scandinavia up until end of the 90s. And of course the very early US Death Metal scene.

LABEL (MORBOSIDAD / NOMINON SPLIT OUT NOW + DEATHCULT NORWAY CASSETTES):
www.edgedcircleproductions.com
DrkKnight

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was getting into the black the year before and got really encompassed in the sound, so black for me. Death was always a constant, though.

Good deals: Travis N., xyosefx, Dark Descent, captainretardo
DSS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weltering in Blood wrote:
I did become one of the "Black Metal Only" teenagers then, which was dumb in hindsight but given the atmosphere of the underground then, when it all got really polarized, I don't think I was alone.

Things back then were different. I know for a fact that some people felt forced to take sides. Just like Euronymous VS Vikernes when the shit hit the fan. And how many people give a rats ass about it today? It all seems silly looking back on those days but for some it was serious business. Great memories. And I'm glad I was a teenager back then and not today.
scentofdeath

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 12

Still like them though Smile
Weltering in Blood

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSS wrote:
Weltering in Blood wrote:
I did become one of the "Black Metal Only" teenagers then, which was dumb in hindsight but given the atmosphere of the underground then, when it all got really polarized, I don't think I was alone.

Things back then were different. I know for a fact that some people felt forced to take sides. Just like Euronymous VS Vikernes when the shit hit the fan. And how many people give a rats ass about it today? It all seems silly looking back on those days but for some it was serious business. Great memories. And I'm glad I was a teenager back then and not today.

Yeah it's funny thinking back on it. It was dead serious and you weren't allowed to like bands like Pungent Stench, Obituary etc if you wanted to be "true" which everyone did Laughing

A trip to Sweden in 1993/4 showed me people were actually willing to get in fist fights over this stuff. The Marduk guys used go around Norrköping beating up "posers". When I got back to Scotland I thought it was all pretty fucking lame when the real people were kicking the shit out of the non believers Laughing

All seemed to fizzle out by 1995/6 when it just turned laughable...vampires, frilly new romantic shirts, fantasy looking spikes, photoshopped covers etc...
under a funeral shroom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 16 in 1993, I had been primarily a death metal listener up to that point (thrash as well obviously), but a lot of the bands that I really liked at the time were changing styles to something I didn't like at all, a prime example being Wolverine Blues. I started dabbling into black metal and really liked what I heard so I would say my purchasing definitely swayed in that direction. I didn't really abandon death metal, however, I still listed to all of the old stuff I had up to that point, and I would still buy albums from bands that didn't go to shit. I of course read about the death vs. black feud in zines at the time, which I always found more amusing than anything. I was also pretty much the only kid in my high school listening to any of this stuff, so I wasn't trying to impress anyone or whatever either.
N.W.D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Belvedere wrote:
I was into...

Tom Turbo. A bycicle that solved cold cases and hunted down criminals.

hell_krieger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was far too young to know the difference between black and death metal at the time. Death metal was my first extreme style of music. Thanks to gloprious days of power 30. Which got me into this music in the first place. Once got into my teens black metal done it for me. Only genre that made me aware of what is what and who is who. Most outstanding metal style to ever exist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: