P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

The Brilliance of King Dude
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me such fact itself that this topic appeared here says a lot
multicide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlzilla wrote:
Boring music is boring music, regardless of who makes it.

I enjoy plenty of "hipster" friendly bands, so it's not the hipster part that turns me off, it's the fact that he's using something that I happen to have a legitimate interest in in a completely disingenuous way to fit a certain image that gets eaten up by a large group of people right now, metal-head or not. That fact alone is enough to completely kill a band for me. When you couple that with the fact that there's about 3 neo-folk (or art-folk, or whatever the fuck) bands that I don't find to be boring, and you get a total lack of interest in this schmuck.

Image and style are more important nowadays and music seems to take a backseat. But since this band is relatively new and hip people will eat this up for about a few years until a new trend starts and they are quickly forgotten.
Dostojanstvenik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nileppez wrote:
Who the fuck is king dude?

he's a king, dude!
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like the name a lot. I wish it was a fun punk band instead of incredibly amateurish...well, whatever the fuck it is.

I also have no idea where the DI6 comparisons come from.
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clavicula_Nox wrote:
Personally I enjoy most of King Dude's work, much more than his metal projects. Of course he is influenced by the work of DiJ or even Of the Wand and the Moon. it is neo-folk after all and if you're a genuine fan of the genre then I do not understand how King Dude would not fit the bill, musically. Unfortunately any project from the US that makes any type of neo-folk, experimental, or dark-ambient music is now automatically associated with hipsterdom, which is ridiculous. Some people are so concerned with what hipsters eat, sleep, and breathe that it takes away from the probability that you might actually like something based on your own opinion.

This. Sometimes it feels like there's more preoccupation with what other people or hipsters are listening to than worrying about your own tastes with some people.
KŽjser ÷ccˇlt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:

I also have no idea where the DI6 comparisons come from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2is_AGmWkE8

But daymm, I'm actually quite stunned about American anti-folk-scene.

I'm a big fan of british cosy-fire-place-folk like Steeleye Span and scandinavian folk........ and some east-european stuff and neo-folk ofcourse and so on and so on and so on

BUT

I've always thought that the modern folk-music of USA mostly consists of endles legions of country-musicians (not saying that Johnny Cash ain't great, but overall the Country as a genre never did anything for me)

and now there's this whole anti-folk, freak-folk, don't-even-know-the-name-for-this-yet-folk-scene

Somedays I just wish I was living back in early 19th century when only records available were by Nargaroth...
la_ciudad_podrida

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its kind of catchy stuff i guess. I don't see the harm in any of it but to me there is much better stuff i could be listening to if I wanted to go this route.

No idea why any of you would have such strong opinions about this guy, positive or negative though. why be so paranoid over "falseness" and "posers"? If king douche is not your thing than pass, and if it is then all power to you.

The "hipsters" thing is such a cop-out. just because some wimps like something should not be enough reason to ruin it for you.
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think "folk" is one of the broadest possible music genres, maybe one of the hardest to define really. So much different music all over the world has been called "folk" that it's almost insane. This is actually why the term "neofolk" bugs me although admittedly it does tend to describe a more specific sound (but still a very diverse one).

Until I was about 18-20 years old I would hear the world "folk" and automatically think of Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan, etc. Not country so much as...I don't know, Americana?
wasteland

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this guy is American? Is it just me or does he sound like he sings with an accent?

morg wrote:
Fuck is end!
KŽjser ÷ccˇlt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:
I think "folk" is one of the broadest possible music genres, maybe one of the hardest to define really. So much different music all over the world has been called "folk" that it's almost insane. This is actually why the term "neofolk" bugs me although admittedly it does tend to describe a more specific sound (but still a very diverse one).

Until I was about 18-20 years old I would hear the world "folk" and automatically think of Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan, etc. Not country so much as...I don't know, Americana?

Yeah I totally agree with difficulty of terminology. With Neofolk I've usually, subconsciously maybe, referred in my mind to the excellent Looking for Europe-comp. It presents the variety of the genre quite nicely.

I really don't know what I was thinking with the country thing..For some reason I visioned the transition from early to modern-folk around the late 70's/early 80's.... Well that makes absolutely no sense. BTW Modern Times by Dylan is great, the best he has done since Highway 61 revisited.
salted

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has no one noticed yet that this retard RUNS A (so-called) FASHION LABEL

THIS GUY MAKES FAKE 'OCCULT' T-SHIRTS FOR HIPSTERS FOR A LIVING

this guy makes fake black metal gangsta hats for a living:

http://store.actualpain.org/collections/all-products/products/sixth-seal-cream-on-black-leather-and-duck-cloth-hat
GenericBlackMetalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

salted wrote:

http://store.actualpain.org/collections/all-products/products/sixth-seal-cream-on-black-leather-and-duck-cloth-hat

Laughing Laughing Laughing

There is nothing "brilliant" about this douchebag.
GenericBlackMetalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://store.actualpain.org/collections/all-products/products/lunatic-leggings-black

Haha! Laughing
Kojiri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KŽjser ÷ccˇlt wrote:
GoldenBull wrote:

Yeah I totally agree with difficulty of terminology. With Neofolk I've usually, subconsciously maybe, referred in my mind to the excellent Looking for Europe-comp. It presents the variety of the genre quite nicely.

I really don't know what I was thinking with the country thing..For some reason I visioned the transition from early to modern-folk around the late 70's/early 80's.... Well that makes absolutely no sense. BTW Modern Times by Dylan is great, the best he has done since Highway 61 revisited.

This is why I like NWN forums. Because people here legitametely enjoy MUSIC. Not just the latest goatcock die hards or occult rock bandwagon. It's kind of funny to see the clashes between the music fans and the people that are still living in 1993 and thinking that ug metal should be isolated and that other non heavy music is for fags.

Trade/Buy/Sell!: addo_of_nex, Black_Fire, bunyip, cannibal_riot, cursed blood, dawid, Deathammer, etdeath, wvrm
la_ciudad_podrida

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

salted wrote:

thats absolutely ridiculous looking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: