P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

The Brilliance of King Dude
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asmael LeBouc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a few tracks from King Dude. Enjoyable. But that´s it.

It rises from the hipster/indie/artsy realm so it couldnt be anything but hyped. Adding just a touch of soft occultism will suffice to excite the hipster crowd.

However... We shoudnt talk about King Dude in here if it wasnt for the coming split with Urfaust. King Dude is indeed something most people HERE will despise for the reasons given above.

The only thing that truly annoys me is that there is SO MUCH BETTER in the genre... No need to go with the old classics.
Has anyone heard about NEW WEIRD AMERICA? This is the "anti-folk" movement from the US which offers experiemental and dark folk bands. Some of which are EXCELLENT and better than King Dude. I'm thinking about
SIX ORGANS OF ADMITTANCE for instance.

The best of 'em all is European and has released über limited hand made tapes mostly. It has a genuine occult imagery (though these guys are as hipster as King Dude) And they started a few years ago in 2005 before the occult new wave. They belong to the smaaaaaall "Funeral Folk" subscene. It's also more experimental than King Dude -which is dark pop folk actually- ergo more interesting, and strangely enough that band/project has remained very much underground. One of their early album is called "Rape The Goat". you can't go wrong with a title like that now can you? Some here may know it:
the one and only SILVESTER ANFANG

www.funeralfolk.be

Hail Belgium

TRADE / WANT LIST ! ! ! :
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12006/
Good sellers/traders: ChapelOfDoom, thetrueevil/ GoldenBull, Hobophobic, NWN PROD
Holocaust

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't pollute your minds! Weak minds!
multicide

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of this band but cartoon satanism perfectly describes this new occult trend. Is it just me or do new bands lack the impact that yesteryears bands had? They just seem to come and go like pop acts.
Carlzilla

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the older bands that later admitted that satanism/the occult was a passing fancy/joke/gimmick have more legitimacy and feel less fake than some of the bands from today that pretend to really be into the occult.

I've heard exactly one King Dude song, and that's all I'll ever need to hear. It comes off to me as pretentious, yet easy to digest, bullshit made by and for fly-by-night trend hoppers.

And now we have fags complaining about other fags. A "fagoboros" if you will.

http://www.last.fm/user/carlzilla
VnholyCvntz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlzilla wrote:
Even the older bands that later admitted that satanism/the occult was a passing fancy/joke/gimmick have more legitimacy and feel less fake than some of the bands from today that pretend to really be into the occult.

I've heard exactly one King Dude song, and that's all I'll ever need to hear. It comes off to me as pretentious, yet easy to digest, bullshit made by and for fly-by-night trend hoppers.

THIS. ALL OF THIS. Exclamation

Nothing more but trendy, hipster, pseudo-Occult bullshit. Chelsea Wolfe can fuck off as well.

Seems like everyone and their grandmother is ''into'' the Occult nowadays. Laughing
VnholyCvntz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holocaust wrote:
Don't pollute your minds! Weak minds!
Ough

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VnholyCvntz wrote:
Carlzilla wrote:

Nothing more but trendy, hipster, pseudo-Occult bullshit. Chelsea Wolfe can fuck off as well.

Seems like everyone and their grandmother is ''into'' the Occult nowadays. Laughing

VnholyCvntz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ough wrote:
VnholyCvntz wrote:
Carlzilla wrote:

NCF

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like King Dude for adding an american touch to neofolk. Wish he'd gone further with that, as it was basically the only original thing with the music. Still, I enjoy it. Quite hit'n'miss though.
Clavicula_Nox

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I enjoy most of King Dude's work, much more than his metal projects. Of course he is influenced by the work of DiJ or even Of the Wand and the Moon. it is neo-folk after all and if you're a genuine fan of the genre then I do not understand how King Dude would not fit the bill, musically. Unfortunately any project from the US that makes any type of neo-folk, experimental, or dark-ambient music is now automatically associated with hipsterdom, which is ridiculous. Some people are so concerned with what hipsters eat, sleep, and breathe that it takes away from the probability that you might actually like something based on your own opinion.
Ough

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clavicula_Nox wrote:
Some people are so concerned with what hipsters eat, sleep, and breathe that it takes away from the probability that you might actually like something based on your own opinion.

DING DING DING
samsquanch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard the name in connection with the split with Urfaust.
Listened to a couple of tracks on Youtube.
Didn't like it.
The end.
VATRA I SUMPOR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just listened to "Love" on Bandcamp. Sounds perfect!

Support!
Kojiri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navght wrote:
The butthurt hipster whining goes on and on. Why do you goatfago sceneboys care about other subcultures? King Dude never amazed me btw, but I am getting tired of how black/death metal folks devoted to the music really care about other subcultures. *edit* and people in general...

I'm trying to break this down. Are you saying black/death kvlters should be singular minded neanderthals who never think of anything other than black/death metal or change their mind at all? I'm sure there's a couple people like this out there... the Temple of Beherit guy for example.

Or are you mad because you can't keep up with shifts in popular trends and feel like you're "out of the loop" and a "square"? E.G. Why the losers in high school that got shoved into gym lockers and never made it with a woman turned to black/death in the first place.

Trade/Buy/Sell!: addo_of_nex, Black_Fire, bunyip, cannibal_riot, cursed blood, dawid, Deathammer, etdeath, wvrm
Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never checked this out before due to the retarded name. Makes me think of Jeff Bridges , but that's just, you know, my opinion, man. I'm out of my element.

I have no issue with U.S neofolk, I like Blood Axis, Waldteufel, Changes,Cult of youth, Backworld, Michael Gira/Swans/angels of light etc.

On first listen, it's like someone reprised the last few Bain Wolfkind records with more guitars and less electronics. Maybe I'm a false, but I kinda like this on first listen.

My Flacktarn pants and DI6 shirt protect me from criticism!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: