P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

The general hardcore punk appreciation thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthares

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haunt In The Dark wrote:
anthares wrote:
Varaus
MG15
Alamaailma
Sekunda
Protesti
Destrucktions
HIC Systeemi
Wretched
EU´s Arse
Armagedom
Olho Seco
Perikato
Kolmas Päivä

Are you Brazilian? In which case I might understand the Alamaailma and Kolmas Päivä recommendations but it's seriously so weird, like recommending a band that only released one obscure instrumental rehearsal in 1992 to someone, haha...
How? There is only 2 bands from Brasil in this list.
Haunt In The Dark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of your avatar and the Finnish/Brazil connection when it comes to 80's hardcore. I don't understand why one would recommend bands that are so obscure there never were proper official releases of their recordings and their "demos" barely made it to the online world otherwise.
obscureinfinity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finding their demos pretty easily online but yeah, prior to you mentioning them, I've never seen those bands so much as name-dropped anywhere.
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obscureinfinity wrote:
Start me off with Italian hardcore recommendations. I LOVE Cheetah Chrome Motherfuckers so I'm sure there's much more from the scene to appreciate.

early Fallout, early Wretched

hardcore is essentially the bubonic plague at this point, and really should just be roped into a new genre called trust fund punk for suburbanite scum. for the most part, a genre full of annoying youngsters and pointless ideals, typically coming from the mouths of folks who have never experienced anything they speak of, short of eating out of dumpsters simply for the experience, etc
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obscureinfinity wrote:
Start me off with Italian hardcore recommendations. I LOVE Cheetah Chrome Motherfuckers so I'm sure there's much more from the scene to appreciate.

There's an awesome classy bootleg of the Wretched/Indigesti split 7" at Havoc Records right now. And then you should get Screams From The Gutter by Raw Power asap!!!
obscureinfinity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ignore the idealism and avoid the really preachy bands. I don't currently live close to a city that has a hardcore/punk scene but I've heard they get pretty obnoxious.
Haunt In The Dark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordoftherim wrote:
for the most part, a genre full of annoying youngsters and pointless ideals, typically coming from the mouths of folks who have never experienced anything they speak of, short of eating out of dumpsters simply for the experience, etc

Yeah, because most of the musicians into the bands generally discussed on here do know from experience about breeding goats for the sole intent of necrosodomising nuns, panzerfisting Jewish babies and hanging out with Cthulu and their zombie friends every weekend.

Come on.
Haunt In The Dark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
obscureinfinity wrote:

There's an awesome classy bootleg of the Wretched/Indigesti split 7" at Havoc Records right now. And then you should get Screams From The Gutter by Raw Power asap!!!

If that's the recent boot 7" (and I'm 99% sure it is), the songs are pressed backwards on it, which is EXTREMELY annoying when you know them in the right order already...
Stalinorgel
banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haunt In The Dark wrote:
Come on.

One genre deals with fantasy and mythology for most part, the other one with social topics in reality. You can't compare that.
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

couple other randoms I can add in which I don't think I saw mentioned...

-Moderat Likvidation (swe)
-Scraps (fra) *though this is really almost fastcore, or pre grind for the hair splitters. talk about awesome off the hook drumming though...*
-Asocial (swe) *also slowly evolved into shitty ND grind, but the first few EPs are ESSENTIAL*
-Marionetti (fin)
-Bayonet (fin) *this might be getting a bit "obscure" but they had a couple demos which can be found on a bootleg EP that are great. I presume these guys fizzled out quickly though
-Bastards (fin) surprised this was not mentioned yet
-Ratos de Porao (bra) also surprised this has not been mentioned. another band that went to shit,but the first couple releases are ESSENTIAL south american hardcore

ADOLESCENTS (USA) if agent orange and black flag are added for USA bands, then surely adolescents need to be on here. TSOL too for that matter. classic so cal sounds there...

Last edited by lordoftherim on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
anthares

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordoftherim wrote:

-Bayonet (fin) *this might be getting a bit "obscure" but they had a couple demos which can be found on a bootleg EP that are great. I presume these guys fizzled out quickly though
Yeah! This is pretty obscure. Couldnt believe this existed until i got this boot. Great stuff!
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haunt In The Dark wrote:
Yeah, because most of the musicians into the bands generally discussed on here do know from experience about breeding goats for the sole intent of necrosodomising nuns, panzerfisting Jewish babies and hanging out with Cthulu and their zombie friends every weekend.

Come on.

I don't know a ton about breeding goats, but I can tell you if I had enough property I would own goats without question. such an awesome creature! (all metal inclinations aside)

and yes, modern hardcore kids are stupid as it gets. I stand behind this till the end. punk/hardcore is dead in the water, as with most metal too honestly. thank satan for reissues! Twisted Evil

anthares wrote:
Yeah! This is pretty obscure. Couldnt believe this existed until i got this boot. Great stuff!

honestly, I would have never known of them either had I not been randomly exposed through a Finnish pal of mine. he purchased the EP from someone in the states, then had it shipped to me to save on shipping initially, so I was able to check them out a bit before sending it along. cool shit indeed! I got ULTRA lucky and came across a copy @ Blackwater in Portland. was fairly surprised too as I had never been able to find it online previously either. great score though, and recommended if one ever has a change to snag one

Last edited by lordoftherim on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:52 am; edited 2 times in total
glwdrk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obscureinfinity wrote:
Haha I stand corrected. What album is that off of? I've heard most of their material but haven't heard that song.

it's on the first album, "step on it". classic start to finish! Smile
obscureinfinity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adolescents and Asocial fucking rule. I'll have to check out the others. You guys are killing me with all the Finnish recommendations.

Metal fans don't exist as a collective anymore (as in you won't find a group of metalheads walking around in the city) so it's definitely dead in terms of that. Most of us are just rabid vinyl collectors that don't know many people personally outside ourselves who are into metal. The occasional message board discussion/argument is sometimes in order but that's about it.

There's still definitely a subculture for punk/hardcore and with probably more variations than ever. It has pretty much become nothing but a scatter-brained mess of idealism at this point though.

But who really gives a fuck about the subcultures surrounding the music anyway? I'm still going to listen to metal and hardcore even though the fanbases suck. The music is what I give a shit about.
obscureinfinity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glwdrk wrote:
obscureinfinity wrote:
Haha I stand corrected. What album is that off of? I've heard most of their material but haven't heard that song.

it's on the first album, "step on it". classic start to finish! Smile

It must be a bonus track on a reissue I don't have because I've listened to that album numerous times and haven't heard that song.

Agreed though. It's a great album but I think Back on the Map has to be my favorite release by Slapshot. I always thought the songwriting on that album was pretty unique for hardcore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 3 of 17

Jump to: