P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Translucent Quiex-virgin vinyl lp's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K-mart

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Translucent Quiex-virgin vinyl lp's Reply with quote

Seems a lot of Metal titles on Combat,Metal Blade,Roadracer were pressed on this type of vinyl in the 80's.I believe it's supposed to be a superior sounding pressing over just the regulation black.They are easy to spot,just hold the record up to a bright light it will appear translucent/light passing through.
I have a few:
Slayer-Hell Awaits
Celtic Frost-Morbid Tales/Mega Therion
Sepultura-Beneath the Remains
To those of you, if anyone that own copies of a black and a Quiex pressing of the same title,which one sounds better?
TarMorion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do own a copy of To Mega Therion from Combat Rec. and I think it's a really good pressing, not just because the sound is really crisp but there's almost no background noise coming from the groove itself. I do own some old MFSL pressings from the late 70s / early 80s and other half speed stuff using the same vinyl type, it's called TELDEC and was manufactured by the german Bayer AG 'til the late 80s.
The JVC pressing plant in Tokyo / Japan handled the pressing of all MFSL vinyl back then (unfortunately that plant was closed down long ago) and they always used the TELDEC material if you had special pressing demands. I read somewhere that it was quite pricy compared to "normal" vinyl granulate but had superior acoustic properties. Bayer somehow lowered the carbon percentage, making it more "soft". That's also the reason the vinyl appears translucent.
I wonder what pressing plant Combat, Metal Blade and Roadrace used in the 80s to get their albums made, would be interesting to know...
rauta

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the old vinyl allure & sound quality can be attributed to superior mastering compared to how things are handled nowadays but of course the vinyl quality plays a part too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: