P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

VOIVOD WORSHIP!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Favorite album/release?
War and Pain
21%
 21%  [ 22 ]
Rrröööaaarrr
17%
 17%  [ 18 ]
Killing Technology
22%
 22%  [ 23 ]
Dimension Hatröss
19%
 19%  [ 20 ]
Nothingface
13%
 13%  [ 14 ]
other
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 102

speedevilucifer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killing Technology is top 10 ever in thrash metal.
I consider them as the most influential band for black metal.Their cold chords and harmonies (for example s/t track from Killing..) helped a lot many bands of the second wave .
Almost all albums rule!
I haven't listened infini and the last one yet.
Mendicant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthplague wrote:
Nothingface, EASILY. That's a perfect album.

I agree. Dimension is an amazing album but they ascended to a new level with Nothingface
weaklingone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedevilucifer wrote:

I consider them as the most influential band for black metal.Their cold chords and harmonies (for example s/t track from Killing..) helped a lot many bands of the second wave.

this is an interesting point. you're definitely right, I think in Darkthrone particularly you get certain Voivod chords (s/t track on TH for instance). But I would say that their influence was hardly limited to BM. Piggy's warped sense of tonality totally reshaped metal forever. That alone makes me inclined to say that Voivod is the best thrash band along with Slayer and Megadeth.

edit: vis-a-vis the connection with black metal, to me early voivod sounds most like Venom, so obviously both BM and Voivod come from the same basic roots.
Wants/Trades: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=275935#275935
Good Traders: Golden Bull, Jalmym203, Kakarot SS5 (Sale), Mangled Torsos (Sale), bc, blashyrkh66, Hobophobic (Multiple), dangerass, thevampirictyrant
nileppez

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

War and Pain > Killling Technology > Rrroooaaarrr. Don't care about rest
LuiSlayer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Killing Technology" for me, but "RRRÖÖÖAAARRR" and "War and Pain" are just behind.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impossible to choose!! First 5 are easily some of the greatest fucking records ever and the new one sounds pretty good, it's just priced at $35 here so I need to get it from HHR or some shit....

Depending on my mood top choice could be any of them, but W&P is an easy favorite.....
mlotek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rrröööaaarrr , because when it came out sounded like the angriest and meanest thrash I ever heard. War And Pain had better songs, but Roar was more intense.

I liked Voi Vod until that "Clouds In My House"video and they laughed at fans who requested earlier material. They stopped playing thrash instead for Led Zeppelin-type riffs!
Good they they always did what they want, but doesn't mean old fans will always accept change.
Last three alums are back to what old fans like me expect/want - definitely check out Katorz (2006), Infini (2009), and Target Earth (2013).
eighthplague

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weaklingone wrote:
speedevilucifer wrote:

I consider them as the most influential band for black metal.Their cold chords and harmonies (for example s/t track from Killing..) helped a lot many bands of the second wave.

this is an interesting point. you're definitely right, I think in Darkthrone particularly you get certain Voivod chords (s/t track on TH for instance). But I would say that their influence was hardly limited to BM. Piggy's warped sense of tonality totally reshaped metal forever. That alone makes me inclined to say that Voivod is the best thrash band along with Slayer and Megadeth.

edit: vis-a-vis the connection with black metal, to me early voivod sounds most like Venom, so obviously both BM and Voivod come from the same basic roots.

The best example of black metal that's Voivod-inspired is clearly Thorns, in my opinion. Thorns perfectly blended Voivod and Hellhammer with a bit of schizophrenic weirdness.
ADK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthplague wrote:
Thorns perfectly blended Voivod and Hellhammer with a bit of schizophrenic weirdness.

What have you guys with all those Hellhammer-influences all the time? Thorns sounds absolutely NOTHING like HH!
ADK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Voivod being the "main inspiration" for BM: Yes, surely, dream on. Why not ELP or Euro-Dance? Most of them Norwegians probably don't even knew them.

weaklingone wrote:
vis-a-vis the connection with black metal, to me early voivod sounds most like Venom, so obviously both BM and Voivod come from the same basic roots.

NO REALLY????? Shocked
eighthplague

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADK wrote:
eighthplague wrote:
Thorns perfectly blended Voivod and Hellhammer with a bit of schizophrenic weirdness.

What have you guys with all those Hellhammer-influences all the time? Thorns sounds absolutely NOTHING like HH!

If you don't hear the primal aspects of Hellhammer in old Thorns, I don't know what to tell you. Besides, they always said their influences were Hellhammer and Voivod back then. Just read some old zine interviews.
ADK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they can say what they want, then they have not understood HH at all.

Old zines'??? You have PDF???? Crazy!!!
eighthplague

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADK wrote:
Well, they can say what they want, then they have not understood HH at all.

Old zines'??? You have PDF???? Crazy!!!

Look, we get it. You're old and obtuse, always go against the grain, we're all young and don't get it, etc etc etc. There are 3-4 of you guys on here who are obsessed with your ages on a level that borders on total autism and it's fucking obnoxious. Get over it, grow up, and cut it out.
The Krusher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a 17 year old tryhard is pathetic, imagine a 35+ yo one... Rolling Eyes
ADK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it just drives me fucking nuts that since years I hear bands like "blabla, Venom, blublbub, Hellhammer, blabla Bathory" and NONE OF THEM sounds even remotely like them.

As for age: Now you see what happens if you stick to that Heavy Metal crap for life! You will all also become assholes that have nothing else.

Last edited by ADK on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: