P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Morrisound style Death Metal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ihslahm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea about Morrisound and pillows, but people have been putting pillows/towels/foam inside kicks since the 80's to dampen the heads and give a more punchy quick hit and fast decay type sound. They are not filling the whole thing up with pillows, but using one, or maybe two at the bottom to help deaden the sound. It also gives a more 'round' sound you might associate with drum samples.

A lot of kicks in the 90's would create a sound with the same sort of consistency as a sampled kick instead by compressing the hell out of the kick, gating it to cut off the natural resonance, and adding a short reverb to create the semblance of a natural decay. Of course a lot of people were starting to use samples as well, but just because it sounds sterile doesn't necessarily it is a sample.
mlotek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alastor R. wrote:
Downtuned & Morbid wrote:
mlotek wrote:
The FACT is at Morrisound, that the bass drums were stuffed with PILLOWS if anybody that was there will be honest with you.
When mentioned recently to a band that recorded there back then, that recorded there that Morrisound albums had weak drum sounds compared to others, that it sounded like they were slapping pillows instead of playing real drums.
He laughed and confirmed it was true, and was amazed that any fans said this back in the day.

For example, "Harmony Corruption" is weak compared to "From Enslavement to Obliteration".

I seem to recall it being quite common for people to stuff sheets, towels etc in the bass drum back then... perhaps any drummers could confirm or deny?

I think this is bullshit. Morrisound Studios/Scott Burns productions were known for having triggered bass drums. I even read/saw some Scott comment about how time consuming was to "manually" replace every bass drum beat with a sampled sound (no pro-tools/recording software existed at the time).

Edit: the fact is that it still is common to use this on the bass drums, i used to do it to avoid the bass drum sound to "expand" too much. But it is bullshit the fact that Morrisound bassdrums sound like that because of pillows. It even sounds ridiculous eheh.

I could get a mp3 rip of the interview tape and upload what the guy said, but since it's "bullshit", then it's a good piece of info that will serve better for a fanzine or a radio podcast (than a doubting Thomas) Very Happy
Alastor R.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you can include Dementia 13 from Portugal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKuM6ZPpZYo

I was supposed to do vocals on this project, but then i moved to France. The guys made a pretty nice job though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: