P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Price of demo tapes these days
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
la_ciudad_podrida

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcompton wrote:
under a funeral shroom wrote:
Heh, was just going to mention the noise scene and cassettes. Sometimes the packaging is worth it but then there are $40 Hospital Productions tapes sealed in a 50 cent white envelope that are dubbed as poorly as a Crepusculo Negro release. Not that I waste money on those.

yeah this def. hits on some of the issue with price/perception of BM tapes since this label deals in both genres...the politics of noise distro, ie limited overpriced tapes that are really more engaging to the buyer for what they are as a physical item and not what's on the tape seeps into BM... can't believe how much people eat up whatever hospital serves at whatever price, sorta seems like a joke Dom is playing on all these fanboys. seems like whatever is worthwhile he actually releases on other labels like Hydrahead, Blackest Ever Black, Modern Love, etc.

I used to follow hospital and the bone awl labels and all of that shit in the past few years... A lot of that shit was just not worth it. no longer into flavor of the week labels that hook in little dweebs like me and make them buy stupid stuff. I listen to more metal than noise now and my personal opinion is that labels like hospital should have never been meddling in that territory. Hardly buy noise anymore, In fact these cdrs i got recently of my own friends PE project have held me over for the past month or so and its way cooler than any of that shit i hyped in my head and paid actual money for. my girlfriend lives with 2 noise dudes so id rather just listen to their stuff or buy/trade with them for other shit
iron tyrant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haunt In The Dark wrote:
TheUnborn wrote:
Dubbing tapes takes forever, and is boring as fuck. I gladly pay a little extra to have them finished and ready to go. People simply had more time on their hands in the glory days of the tape-format it seems.

I think laziness, the Internet and €$£ are more to blame...

Look, we've all had our share in the past with tapes, now I hardly have the time to listen to tapes, let alone dub them. I wish I was still 17.

Professor Black wrote:
NWOBHM is not a style of music.
rauta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubbing tapes takes less time though as you just need to press the buttoms and leave the room.

Smile
gabalgabow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rauta wrote:
Dubbing tapes takes less time though as you just need to press the buttoms and leave the room.

Smile

When you have to dub 15 tapes for an order,
it gets a little more complicated Smile

I'm always amazed to see distros sell tapes for 5 Euros + postage...
I always was cheaper than that...
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of it (which seems untouched) is the buyers market. People are still willing to pay $7 + shipping for tapes = people will keep selling them for that.

I buy a lot less demos now because i no longer have interest in paying more than $4 for a tape. A dub tape costs about $1-1.50 to make, a pro tape is still $2 or less i believe, i don't see a reason to charge $6-8 a tape.
eighthplague

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$5 for a tape is reasonable. That's about all they should sell for.
under a funeral shroom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem paying $7-8 for a tape if it's a pro-tape that a someone had to trade/wholesale to distribute over here. Can't expect distros to eat the shipping cost, eh?
schoolslave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to buy a bunch of tapes at once to save on shipping, if they were 5-7$ a pop it was ok.
la_ciudad_podrida

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rauta wrote:

Smile

yeah well after about 25 or so you start to lose track, which ones are blank, which ones you dubbed, you listen to them and they don't sound similar enough, like the qualities are different, lots of confusion. probably has to do with the fact that the equipment is usually old or when im trying to make them Im usually drinking or something because what are you going to do while the tapes are dubbing?
little_raven

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

la_ciudad_podrida wrote:
rauta wrote:

Smile

yeah well after about 25 or so you start to lose track, which ones are blank, which ones you dubbed, you listen to them and they don't sound similar enough, like the qualities are different, lots of confusion. probably has to do with the fact that the equipment is usually old or when im trying to make them Im usually drinking or something because what are you going to do while the tapes are dubbing?

HAHAHAH JEEEZ, I thought I was the only one
VnholyCvntz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tapes need to die already.
Nyx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

little_raven wrote:
la_ciudad_podrida wrote:
rauta wrote:

Smile

HAHAHAH JEEEZ, I thought I was the only one

This. I'll never do releases on dubbed tape again.
rauta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

la_ciudad_podrida wrote:
rauta wrote:

Smile

I switched to changing diapers and whatnot for distraction activity at a certain point but yes, I concur with your comments and revert to my earlier points on the first page of the thread I think they were Smile Pro tapes are a must for the unorganized mind.
Valgrinder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowadays tapes are much more respected than they were some time ago. Of course there is countries like Poland who kept cassette-culture alive, but fex here in Finland tapes were so un-sexy over ten years ago. It was glorious times of self-made-cd-r demos

Little over ten years ago we made our demo as tape and copied them many as people asked. Though that if we get some good reviews on zines/webzines and advertise with flyers, orders start to come. But after dozen of sent promotapes, havent seen single one review. One of the biggest finnish metal medias told me that they dont have equipments for playing tapes (and that was from the reviewer who was/is specialized on raw and underground metal)

So not that we saw any reviews, we didnt got single one paying customer. So every copy we made were given away for free to comrades or to zines/webzines. Ironically nowadays that Förgjord demotape seems like really wanted item on many tradelist.
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

la_ciudad_podrida wrote:
rauta wrote:

Smile

Quite true. As for what to do while they're dubbing i usually do anything else.

One thing that bugs me more these days is how many demos are put onto vinyl, seems every band is doing it, and often the vinyl edition once out of print is even more demanded than the original tape, probably because vinyl is the eternal format. If the recordings made it to Eps and future releases, this reissue is pointless, and when bands do demo TAPE then vinyl but the songs are never recorded on another release, why did they just not do the vinyl EP or leave it as a tape only release?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: