P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Price of demo tapes these days
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheUnborn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubbing tapes takes forever, and is boring as fuck. I gladly pay a little extra to have them finished and ready to go. People simply had more time on their hands in the glory days of the tape-format it seems.
Haunt In The Dark

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUnborn wrote:
Dubbing tapes takes forever, and is boring as fuck. I gladly pay a little extra to have them finished and ready to go. People simply had more time on their hands in the glory days of the tape-format it seems.

I think laziness, the Internet and €$£ are more to blame...
eighthplague

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vega360 wrote:
and people just want to vomit out music mindlessly

The irony. Laughing
höll

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it should cost about the price of manufacturing and shipping. I also can't understand why new bands limit their first demo to small numbers and do special die hard versions of them or whatever.
teutonicsatan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it was never as much about the cost of the tapes as the cost of distribution. I never could have built up my inventory to what it is today if I had been paying to ship ready tapes rather than covers and masters.

$5 tapes are still abundant, you just have to look!
rauta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haunt In The Dark wrote:
TheUnborn wrote:

I think laziness, the Internet and €$£ are more to blame...

I made demos, dubs and what have you at home for years until I grew tired of the varying quality that my equipment churned out (used most of the common Technics, Yamaha etc. decks, almost all of which gradually started to give in, resulting in slow deterioration in sound quality) as well as making up for my own incompetence afterwards by shipping out replacements. Nowadays I always have my tapes dubbed & printed elsewhere and can still enjoy the painstaking cover cut-out & folding routines at home. The best of both worlds, eh?
throneofmight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. most of you can grab/manufacture your tapes locally and that is an advantage, I have to bring the blank tapes down to my country from the US Sad .

Still I'm able to sell each for $7 including postage everywhere. Friendly price in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
la_ciudad_podrida

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to release a friends noise tape once....

I was dubbing pro tapes at home on stupid set ups. It never worked out. there tapes would come out sounding different and it was just a big mess. I wasted lots of money on new tape decks to make it work but it never did. Dubbing them was so boring and testing them and re making them was a nightmare. If i ever make tapes now its because i dont have an ipod and i want to listen to something when i go outside for a smoke or im in school.

Whats a good U.S tape plant to get stuff done legit? I would have been much better off doing that in the first place but i wanted to be all diy and fuck
throneofmight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

la_ciudad_podrida wrote:

I was dubbing pro tapes at home on stupid set ups. It never worked out. there tapes would come out sounding different and it was just a big mess. I wasted lots of money on new tape decks to make it work but it never did. Dubbing them was so boring and testing them and re making them was a nightmare. If i ever make tapes now its because i dont have an ipod and i want to listen to something when i go outside for a smoke or im in school.

Whats a good U.S tape plant to get stuff done legit? I would have been much better off doing that in the first place but i wanted to be all diy and fuck

http://nactape.com/anablog/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blutkvlt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

throneofmight wrote:
la_ciudad_podrida wrote:

http://nactape.com/anablog/

NAC is great quality in my limited experience, but be prepared for a wait since the entire world is using them to press tapes. Also relatively cheap, cost about 64 bucks for 100 tapes and cases.

MY TRADELIST/WANTLIST:
http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21928
xyosefx

Location: We lived among the people. I think you say, convenience store. We lived above it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blutkvlt wrote:
NAC is great quality in my limited experience, but be prepared for a wait since the entire world is using them to press tapes. Also relatively cheap, cost about 64 bucks for 100 tapes and cases.

Inexpensive and reliable with a longer wait than they tell you has been my experience. Still, by far the best option.

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
passthetorch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: ?What? Reply with quote

Quote:
Making pro covers is actually a lot easier and nicer looking then just going to the copy place, plus it is much much less work.

!? How is making pro covers easier and evolve less work then going to a paper copy facility?I can however understand it coming out more presentable though. Or do you mean having pro covers made by someone else is easier?
rauta

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to a xerox shop for covers means cutting, folding and assembly. Ordering a run of tapes with covers usually means they come back, ready to fly out the door.[/list]
hevosrunkkari

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its really just a demo, not full lenght released on tape, i prefer cheap stuff. If band wants to make it "special", avoid glossy crap and such, just smear covers with your mothers vaginal blood or horsepiss et cetera. If its too much work to copy tapes and print covers, too expensive to print tapes, just spread your demos digitally.
mcompton

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

under a funeral shroom wrote:
Heh, was just going to mention the noise scene and cassettes. Sometimes the packaging is worth it but then there are $40 Hospital Productions tapes sealed in a 50 cent white envelope that are dubbed as poorly as a Crepusculo Negro release. Not that I waste money on those.

yeah this def. hits on some of the issue with price/perception of BM tapes since this label deals in both genres...the politics of noise distro, ie limited overpriced tapes that are really more engaging to the buyer for what they are as a physical item and not what's on the tape seeps into BM... can't believe how much people eat up whatever hospital serves at whatever price, sorta seems like a joke Dom is playing on all these fanboys. seems like whatever is worthwhile he actually releases on other labels like Hydrahead, Blackest Ever Black, Modern Love, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: