P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Give us money to record a new record: Obituary
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weltering in Blood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Give us money to record a new record: Obituary Reply with quote

What does everyone make of this? I have ZERO interest in anything Obituary made after the first two (maybe three) records and at this stage I'd be more likely to give them money NOT to make a new record, but howsever..they're going down the road of cap in hand to their fans. To bypass labels or just what I dunno, maybe couldn't get a lucrative deal for themselves. Looks like they've already raised 16,000USD for themselves from just 304 people!

Quote:

Florida Death Metal behemoths Obituary are going back to the studio to record a brand new album, and they need your help!

Listen guys, we have been creating Death Metal music since 1984 - it's who we are...it's in our blood. If there's one thing that we've learned touring all these years, it's that Obituary fans are among the most loyal and supportive motherf***ers in the world!

We have been trying to find better ways to engage with and give back to our fans. Over the past couple of years we have streamed concerts live from around the globe, given away tons of merchandise packages and dozens of all-access backstage passes to future shows. It's inspiring to see and share in your excitement about Obituary, and the inspiration that provides keeps us going.

The music industry is funny, and it's changed so much throughout our career that it's hard to even believe sometimes. We have made the decision to partner with record labels in the past, and we know that we wouldn't be where we are without their help....but at the end of every single day - the fans are death metal - not some label.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/unation/help-fund-a-new-obituary-album

Blood and Thunder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amanda Palmer of Dresden Dolls fame raised over a million dollars for the last record she made thru a kickstarter listing. If ppl care about what you do they will throw in for it.
Then the devil must...

http://www.blackmetalrevolution.com/preview.html
http://www.blackmetalrevolution.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/bmrevolution
Tireheb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blood and Thunder wrote:
If ppl care about what you do they will throw in for it.

And apparently some do care for Obituary as they raised the needed money in less than 24 hours.

"You can't hide the hook!"
TacoBell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tireheb wrote:
Blood and Thunder wrote:
If ppl care about what you do they will throw in for it.

And apparently some do care for Obituary as they raised the needed money in less than 24 hours.

Goddamn! haha!

Won't be surprised if more bands start doing this Razz
Nebel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it's to bypass labels and get a more lucrative deal for themselves.
M8FOX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
plus the shirt, hat, sticker, death metal coozie and guitar pick

I can imagine a salesman saying this after every sales-pitch now.
Deviationist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this reminded me of this woman who was affiliated with a band or something in 80s and asked for money for live gear, outfit and recordings. i can't remember her name but it was pathetic.

Last edited by Deviationist on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Weltering in Blood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deviationist wrote:
this reminded me of this woman who was affiliated with a band or something in 80s and asked for money for live gear, outfit and recordings. i can't remember her name but it was pathetic.

It can definitely back fire with a good dose of public humiliation if it goes pear shped, but Obituary seemed to have pulled it off, albeit with only a little more 300 people. Not sure what I'd make of that if I was in the band...I made the money I needed but only 300 people cared enough to hand over some cash.
Werewolf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Give us money to record a new record: Obituary Reply with quote

TacoBell wrote:
Won't be surprised if more bands start doing this Razz
Obituary is surely not the first (metal) band who use this kickstarter thing.

Deviationist wrote:
Yeah, that was really pathetic. That was the vocalist of Vixen.

Weltering in Blood wrote:
Not sure what I'd make of that if I was in the band...I made the money I needed but only 300 people cared enough to hand over some cash.
Oh really? Ask the people who run labels here how often they get 300 copies of a not-even-recorded-yet release (worth an average of circa 50 bucks a copy - no less!) pre-ordered within 24-48 hours from the moment they announce it...
Weltering in Blood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Give us money to record a new record: Obituary Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:
Oh really?

Really. This is Obituary, they've been around for almost 30 years and have had one of the biggest selling Death Metal records of all time.
mlotek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One reason I do not like kickstarter album campaigns, is some have abused it.
Musicians who have raised the money, then continued demanding more, and the supporters have to wait longer for the music they have paid for .

IF anyone is interested,
the industrial/death metal band PAINEATER
have 21 hours left on their kickstarter.

They already raised the money needed. The options of how much you give look good, for what kind of return you get - digital, how many copies of the vinyl, books, etc

http://www.pioneeringglorioustimes.blogspot.ca/2013/06/paineater-call-to-arms-fixed-funding.html
ends at August 06, 2013 (11:59pm PT).
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/paineater-lp?browse_v=old_no_dropdown
Werewolf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:
Oh really?

Really. This is Obituary, they've been around for almost 30 years and have had one of the biggest selling Death Metal records of all time.

But now it's 2013 Wink
Nebel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Give us money to record a new record: Obituary Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:
Oh really?

That they may be but they're not that big anymore. If you're a young death metaller today I don't think Obituary, Entombed, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse etc. are necessarily the first bands you'll get into. Different age, different scene.
Weltering in Blood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Give us money to record a new record: Obituary Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:
Werewolf wrote:
Oh really?

But now it's 2013 Wink

Yeah I know, just kinda adds insult to injury in one sense.

Nebel wrote:
Werewolf wrote:
Oh really?

That they may be but they're not that big anymore. If you're a young death metaller today I don't think Obituary, Entombed, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse etc. are necessarily the first bands you'll get into. Different age, different scene.

Probably not. I dread to think what bands these people are holding up as DM Very Happy
Werewolf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably Decapitated (unless they're already considered "oldschool" too :-/) or Behemoth in terms of mainstream stuff and some random entombed/incantation clones when it comes to the lesser known bands?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: