P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Fucked over on Ebay, what to do?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Fucked over on Ebay, what to do? Reply with quote

Could have sworn there was a sticky about this sort of thing, but here goes:

So I won an Ebay auction for a pair of Rega R5 speakers. I ask the guy if it's cool that I swing by and pick them up in person, rather than have him send 'em through the mail -- don't want them to get banged up during transfer. He says yes, sure, excellent idea. I offer to pay up through Paypal right away, so he doesn't have to wait for his money, but he says no: "Payment has to be cash at collection or by banktransfer in advance, no paypal if collect due to seller protection spoiled." I say OK dude, no problem.

Two weeks pass, and I offer to come down tomorrow (Sunday) to finally pick up the speakers. Suddenly, the guy has changed his mind: "Unfortunately I can't sell the speakers for that price, the tweeters has just gone in faulth [I'm guessing he's saying that the tweeters somehow broke] so will need to put more money into these, sorry for any trouble."

Wait what, MORE money? Does not compute. So I write back: "If the tweeters are now faulty, then clearly the price should be lowered."

... And then I noticed that he has now put them up for auction once again, only now with a starting price 50% higher than what I won them for the last time around. (Supposedly broken tweeters = Higher price? Yeah, that makes perfect sense.)

Not only that, I also got this from Ebay: The seller "has canceled the transaction, and you're no longer entitled to receive the item. Also, an unpaid Item has been recorded on your account." Nice, that.

Anything I can do, in this situation? (Except, you know, not trust random Ebay strangers the next time around?)
Wolfram

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have his address?

1. Drive to his house
2. Ring doorbell
3. Guy opens - ask his name
4. Name = seller?
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give his address to the Nachtmystium guy. You will find the speakers in a pawn shop in about a week and can buy them for a normal rate....
$$

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfram wrote:
You have his address?

1. Drive to his house
2. Ring doorbell
3. Guy opens - ask his name
4. Name = seller?

5. -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShnD22gUUyo
speedevilucifer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy and use this lovely baby

Grief

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's shitty but there's nothing you can do. Technically you could probably sue for 'specific performance' but in reality it's unlikely to get you anywhere.

The wife once bid on a bohemian crystal chandelier on ebay and the seller had loads of other high value home clearance stuff. She won and the seller immediately emailed here to offer another one as he had an identical pair. We didn't get the message until the next day

Next morning when we went to pay he cancelled the sale and said the item was broken when taking it down. Ok we said, we'll have the identical matching one then. He said that one had been sold. Seemed pretty obvious to us that a dealer had come over and bought all the unsold lots and the seller had sold our item on to him as he could get more for a pair. Sadly some folks just don't have any scruples.
DeathShitter
banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing to do is post on here in caps and continue to cry till you get over it.
xyosefx

Location: We lived among the people. I think you say "convenience store." We lived above it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good experiences dealing with eBay customer service folks on the phone. You probably won't get your speakers, but you should easily be able to get the unpaid item strike removed, and they might end up shutting down his account. Which he deserves, for being a total cock.

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Morbid Obesity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
Give his address to the Nachtmystium guy. You will find the speakers in a pawn shop in about a week and can buy them for a normal rate....

Laughing
Kojiri

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call him a faggot 380 times, and then set fire to your pubic hair.

Trade/Buy/Sell!: addo_of_nex, Black_Fire, bunyip, cannibal_riot, cursed blood, dawid, Deathammer, etdeath, wvrm
Steken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My priority list is like so: 1) The speakers, 2) Revenge.

So, for now, I'm trying to reason with the guy and reach some sort of deal.

Just offered to pay the agreed-upon price for the speakers "despite the fact that the tweeters are now broken" (which I'm 99% sure they're not), PLUS pay full price for another item he has listed - an Rega Brio-R amp - which I was going to buy anyway (and which in any case can't be found cheaper elsewhere).

If he ignores me (which is likely), I'll bitch and whine like the passive-aggressive little cunt that I am until maybe, just maybe, eBay nukes his account and I will at long last have my sweet, sweet vengeance. Wink
Morbid Obesity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that revenge is a dish best served cold. Wink
DSS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you communicate via eBay or private emails?
If it was via eBay's message system then everything is on file. Once you contact eBay by phone they will be able to read the exchanged messages. Remember that in most cases eBay sides with the buyer and not the seller (unfortunately).

And even if you communicated via private emails it still won't hurt to call eBay and explain the situation to them. Cunts like that should be exposed. What is his user id?
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steken wrote:
If he ignores me (which is likely), I'll bitch and whine like the passive-aggressive little cunt that I am until maybe, just maybe, eBay nukes his account and I will at long last have my sweet, sweet vengeance

Until maybe, just maybe, you find out the guy has ten more accounts and your speakers are gone for good. Sweet, sweet vengeance.
Steken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSS wrote:
Did you communicate via eBay or private emails?
If it was via eBay's message system then everything is on file. Once you contact eBay by phone they will be able to read the exchanged messages. Remember that in most cases eBay sides with the buyer and not the seller (unfortunately).

And even if you communicated via private emails it still won't hurt to call eBay and explain the situation to them. Cunts like that should be exposed. What is his user id?

We communicated via eBay, which might work to my advantage.

This cunt's user id is perflemming.

His approval is high (97.1%), but I notice that the one negative bit of feedback comes from a similar situation: "Seller reneged on selling me the item because I won the bid on a low price." Exactly what happened to me, in other words.

Unfortunately, he probably won't lose a lot of business from me exposing him on this specific forum -- the guy doesn't deal with metal-related stuff, but with hi-fi equipment.

Last edited by Steken on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: