P R O D U C T I O N S
 
 FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 
 Profile 
 Log in to check your private messages 
 Log in 

Your fucking record isn't worth a million you thick cunt...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Weltering in Blood



Joined: 24 May 2011
Posts: 2149
Location: Sweden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mz412 wrote:
DSS wrote:
I will most likely not sell for a "reasonable" price any more for two reasons.

#1. I'm always fair and easy to negotiate with but it's never the other way around. 90% of the people that I want to buy from send me eBay and popsike links to show me how much their precious record sells for. Even when it comes to trades people do the same; "look my LP sells for more money than your LP sells for, you should throw in something extra".

#2. I've sold a few items for a lower price only to see the person flip it on eBay a couple weeks later for triple the price.

I think this has been discussed before and there's no point in getting your blood pressure up. It is what it is, eBay "destroyed" the fun in buying/selling and trading. Even most of the second hand music stores have overpriced records because of eBay.


same here. tired about this. even when you sell at "normal" prices someone want it cheaper and i have had it too often that the guys who cried about the price afterwards sell it for fucking more. same with freebies. had thrown in a lot in the trades/selling, but don't think its funny to see these freebies afterwards to sell. they where fucking gifts, not extra selling points.


well that is taking the piss alright. I'm like you, I usually throw in shit I don't need anymore, usually tapes or old magazines. I don't need money so badly that I'll throw every shitty demo or fanzine or flyer up on ebay, get €3 plus postage and go to the hassle of mailing it. better someone else can enjoy it, but yeah I think I'd be miffed to see someone then selling the thing on ebay. Happened once that someone bought my Cymophane DSEV CD for €500 (their offer) and I sent them a load of old Burzum stuff like letters, Cymophane stuff and Nifelheim Unholy Death EP and I know for a fact they sold the ep on ebay for a bit of money after telling me how happy they were that they'd finally gotten it and as a gift.
_________________
WANT LIST
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LuiSlayer



Joined: 18 Jun 2009
Posts: 3106
Location: Estádio do Dragăo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weltering in Blood wrote:
Mz412 wrote:
DSS wrote:
I will most likely not sell for a "reasonable" price any more for two reasons.

#1. I'm always fair and easy to negotiate with but it's never the other way around. 90% of the people that I want to buy from send me eBay and popsike links to show me how much their precious record sells for. Even when it comes to trades people do the same; "look my LP sells for more money than your LP sells for, you should throw in something extra".

#2. I've sold a few items for a lower price only to see the person flip it on eBay a couple weeks later for triple the price.

I think this has been discussed before and there's no point in getting your blood pressure up. It is what it is, eBay "destroyed" the fun in buying/selling and trading. Even most of the second hand music stores have overpriced records because of eBay.


same here. tired about this. even when you sell at "normal" prices someone want it cheaper and i have had it too often that the guys who cried about the price afterwards sell it for fucking more. same with freebies. had thrown in a lot in the trades/selling, but don't think its funny to see these freebies afterwards to sell. they where fucking gifts, not extra selling points.


well that is taking the piss alright. I'm like you, I usually throw in shit I don't need anymore, usually tapes or old magazines. I don't need money so badly that I'll throw every shitty demo or fanzine or flyer up on ebay, get €3 plus postage and go to the hassle of mailing it. better someone else can enjoy it, but yeah I think I'd be miffed to see someone then selling the thing on ebay. Happened once that someone bought my Cymophane DSEV CD for €500 (their offer) and I sent them a load of old Burzum stuff like letters, Cymophane stuff and Nifelheim Unholy Death EP and I know for a fact they sold the ep on ebay for a bit of money after telling me how happy they were that they'd finally gotten it and as a gift.


Up until now, I've been agreeing with (almost) everything you said about the stupid prices that people want for their records and how things work nowadays, but I have to disagree in this matter. Like you said, you give away stuff that you don't need anymore, but that doesn't mean that the people who receive them also need or want them. Sometimes, I receive stuff that I don't want or even like. Most of the times, I give them away to friends who would enjoy them, but if I'm stuck with them, I might as well try to sell them. I don't see harm in that.
As for the situation you described about the guy who was happy with the Nifelheim EP and then sold it, that's a big asshole's attitude right there, I agree.
_________________
Bela Guttmann's curse lives on. Another 50 years remain.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Weltering in Blood



Joined: 24 May 2011
Posts: 2149
Location: Sweden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuiSlayer wrote:
Weltering in Blood wrote:
Mz412 wrote:
DSS wrote:
I will most likely not sell for a "reasonable" price any more for two reasons.

#1. I'm always fair and easy to negotiate with but it's never the other way around. 90% of the people that I want to buy from send me eBay and popsike links to show me how much their precious record sells for. Even when it comes to trades people do the same; "look my LP sells for more money than your LP sells for, you should throw in something extra".

#2. I've sold a few items for a lower price only to see the person flip it on eBay a couple weeks later for triple the price.

I think this has been discussed before and there's no point in getting your blood pressure up. It is what it is, eBay "destroyed" the fun in buying/selling and trading. Even most of the second hand music stores have overpriced records because of eBay.


same here. tired about this. even when you sell at "normal" prices someone want it cheaper and i have had it too often that the guys who cried about the price afterwards sell it for fucking more. same with freebies. had thrown in a lot in the trades/selling, but don't think its funny to see these freebies afterwards to sell. they where fucking gifts, not extra selling points.


well that is taking the piss alright. I'm like you, I usually throw in shit I don't need anymore, usually tapes or old magazines. I don't need money so badly that I'll throw every shitty demo or fanzine or flyer up on ebay, get €3 plus postage and go to the hassle of mailing it. better someone else can enjoy it, but yeah I think I'd be miffed to see someone then selling the thing on ebay. Happened once that someone bought my Cymophane DSEV CD for €500 (their offer) and I sent them a load of old Burzum stuff like letters, Cymophane stuff and Nifelheim Unholy Death EP and I know for a fact they sold the ep on ebay for a bit of money after telling me how happy they were that they'd finally gotten it and as a gift.


Up until now, I've been agreeing with (almost) everything you said about the stupid prices that people want for their records and how things work nowadays, but I have to disagree in this matter. Like you said, you give away stuff that you don't need anymore, but that doesn't mean that the people who receive them also need or want them. Sometimes, I receive stuff that I don't want or even like. Most of the times, I give them away to friends who would enjoy them, but if I'm stuck with them, I might as well try to sell them. I don't see harm in that.
As for the situation you described about the guy who was happy with the Nifelheim EP and then sold it, that's a big asshole's attitude right there, I agree.


No, of course it's now their stuff to do with as they please, but it would just seem like good manners to wait at least a few weeks before selling it on eBay Laughing
_________________
WANT LIST
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LuiSlayer



Joined: 18 Jun 2009
Posts: 3106
Location: Estádio do Dragăo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weltering in Blood wrote:

No, of course it's now their stuff to do with as they please, but it would just seem like good manners to wait at least a few weeks before selling it on eBay Laughing


Yes, you're right. But people who only care about money aren't known to be polite, hehe.
_________________
Bela Guttmann's curse lives on. Another 50 years remain.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Weltering in Blood



Joined: 24 May 2011
Posts: 2149
Location: Sweden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuiSlayer wrote:
Weltering in Blood wrote:

No, of course it's now their stuff to do with as they please, but it would just seem like good manners to wait at least a few weeks before selling it on eBay Laughing


Yes, you're right. But people who only care about money aren't known to be polite, hehe.


True. They must be either obsessed with pennies or fucked for money who'll sell the most worthless crap on ebay. I couldn't be bothered putting every single shitty $5 tape/CD/record up on ebay. You then have to pay ebay their fees. you need to contact the buyer to find out where to ship his $7 Dimmu Borgir CD, then you need to get an envelope, pack it up, write his address on it, go to the post office and post his worthless CD and you did all that for probably €3.50. Waste of fucking time.
_________________
WANT LIST
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blekt



Joined: 02 Nov 2008
Posts: 417
Location: Europe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually I couldn't care less when I see all these lists with the usuall "make offer". If you're familiar with trading/buying on forums you know that most of these people want "too" much for their items. Instead of asking for jewish prices in forums they probably hope that the potential buyers will offer them the highest price it went for on ebay (according to popsike).

Another annoying thing is that too many people doesn't seem to have a clue how you grade a record. Items described as "mint" with bent corners, split seams, scratches, removed pricetags etc. Atleast I want to know what I'm paying for. While the most annoying thing today is that way too many are complete idiots when it come to packaging vinyls. This goes for many of the labels, mailorders out there aswell.
_________________
Serious individuals/references: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=321551#321551
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Barghest



Joined: 18 Jul 2010
Posts: 601
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blekt wrote:
Another annoying thing is that too many people doesn't seem to have a clue how you grade a record. Items described as "mint" with bent corners, split seams, scratches, removed pricetags etc. Atleast I want to know what I'm paying for.


Whatever 'mint' / 'near mint' description someone gives in their sale/trade list, I always ask specific questions about the condition e.g. does the cover have any bends, rips or marks? Does the vinyl have any skips/jumps or loud 'pops'?

And if the LP comes with a printed inner sleeve, I always ask for the LP to be packaged in a regular paper sleeve, so the printed inner doesn't get any seam splits (and do likewise if I'm sending one to someone). Some people seem to think that only outer sleeves are susceptible to seam splits!
_________________
KARK Mastering - Vinyl, CD and tape mastering for underground artists
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
slayerhatesusall



Joined: 12 Jun 2011
Posts: 84

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone wants too much for something, just don't buy it, if they don't want a good offer for their item then its their loss. Its not like its a big deal or anything, just buy it eventually when someone sells it for a fair price.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vapula



Joined: 13 Feb 2013
Posts: 649
Location: The Black Lodge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barghest wrote:


And if the LP comes with a printed inner sleeve, I always ask for the LP to be packaged in a regular paper sleeve, so the printed inner doesn't get any seam splits (and do likewise if I'm sending one to someone). Some people seem to think that only outer sleeves are susceptible to seam splits!


All labels / private sellers should do this it's so annoying for an LP to arrive in the post with the printed inner sleeve in bits. I recently ordered the Nastrond - Muspellz Synir from a distro I asked for the vinyl to be put in regular paper sleeve said I would even pay an extra euro or two to cover the cost the seller said yeah no problem and off course the vinyl arrived inside the inner sleeve with a big 2 inch rip on each side.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Barghest



Joined: 18 Jul 2010
Posts: 601
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vapula wrote:
Barghest wrote:


And if the LP comes with a printed inner sleeve, I always ask for the LP to be packaged in a regular paper sleeve, so the printed inner doesn't get any seam splits (and do likewise if I'm sending one to someone). Some people seem to think that only outer sleeves are susceptible to seam splits!


All labels / private sellers should do this it's so annoying for an LP to arrive in the post with the printed inner sleeve in bits.


It's why I always do printed inserts, rather than printed inner sleeves, on my label's vinyl releases.
_________________
KARK Mastering - Vinyl, CD and tape mastering for underground artists
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
satanic ritual abuse



Joined: 09 May 2011
Posts: 2161

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barghest wrote:


And if the LP comes with a printed inner sleeve, I always ask for the LP to be packaged in a regular paper sleeve, so the printed inner doesn't get any seam splits (and do likewise if I'm sending one to someone). Some people seem to think that only outer sleeves are susceptible to seam splits!


Got a package from Earache the other day...Due to their really bad packaging the Left Hand Path LP I ordered arrived with seam splits at the inner sleeve...and the record wasn't even cut out properly, so its diameter might be too large for a lot of record players...Fukk those cheapskates.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Reaper's Grave



Joined: 28 Jan 2009
Posts: 2091
Location: Manchester, New Hampshire, USA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its no surprise this is happening, for many years now vinyl records have been growing as the collectors item format. The equivalent of limited edition comic books from the 90's, except instead of alternate covers, you have different color vinyl in more limited quantities. People go and buy one of each color they can.

Its not uncommon, this has been happening since 80's even, though now its even more common for records to have elaborate packaging and gimmicks, to the point finding an official release regular weight vinyl in simple (even flimsy) jacket with either printed inner or lyric sheet at most is becoming rare from many labels, and unheard of from any of the major ug labels in US and Europe. Now its all about the packaging and extras and limited numbers anyway.

This has bred a new group in the secondary market who either buy up as many as they can to flip for profit, or even just buying a single copy and listing it for high prices before the preorders are even done. The idea is that eventually it may be worth that much and they've made their profit, or they'll get a sucker to buy it.

On the note of discogs, i removed a lot of stuff from my want list because while i'm looking for it, a lot of black/death metal records seem to default to the same (usually high) price no matter who the seller is and even if its 2 or 3 times what any ebay auction has ended at. Its believed any metal record is now big $$$ so the newer releases, limited records, or even just specific band names never see a copy go for equal to the original price, or even less, regardless if the record is available or sold out. Its pretty common to check discogs and see a record selling in distros for $15-18 a piece already have only the lowest price of $21-25 + shipping, and ebay will follow with $25-30 + shipping.

The collector mentality has let this happen and no one wants to end at a loss. The market stopped being an auction market and buyers market in the ebay world because of discogs and buy it now listings. Easier to sit on that same record for years than to sell it for an auction, not that these guys are in a hurry to sell anyway. I just think it would be very interesting if both options got taken out of the equation and these records were sold at auction prices. Chances are we would see much lower prices, in some cases maybe even lower than what they sold for originally anyway. With regards to comics in 90's, i feel like records are peaking in a similar way now and eventually a crash will occur somewhere and all these hyped records/color editions of major releases will drop to normal prices, or even below that. I can't believe every peaceville/earache/bob reissue would really be worth more than $15-20 to anyone at an auction despite them selling from the sites themselves for $25+ a piece.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Weltering in Blood



Joined: 24 May 2011
Posts: 2149
Location: Sweden

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of coloured vinyl at all. Black is just fine with me, not even into all the extras that some records come with. Saying that the NWN verion of FAOD was really killer. You got a nice poster and booklet and it all packages well together. It doesn't feel OTT

Funny thing was in work the other day talking to a co worker about this. He likes pretty mainstream stuff but even he was buying up two copies of each release to sell on the swedish version of ebay and ebay itself. He's not even really a "collector" and comes in every couple of weeks talking about some idiot who just paid €50 for a record he could have bought somewhere else for a normal price. That's another problem - people who do their record shopping on eBay. They don't seem to want to send their money to some guy in Finland who runs a mailorder, but they'll happily pay a extra €10-20 on eBay for the same record and then you start getting a price inflation even on new and available records. The thing is a fucking joke.

Discogs is starting to piss me off big time. It's got to the point where I have to remove some stuff because the same dickheads keep contacting me trying to sell me their overpriced muck even after repeated No thank yous. Right now though I'm getting great satisfaction from two discogs sellers, who are both active on this forum, who declined very good offers from me over a year ago and their shit is still sitting there on Discogs, at least 50% more expensive than the rest of sellers of the same records on Discogs. One of them even tried to sell it to me again last week Laughing
_________________
WANT LIST
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
holy ghost



Joined: 16 Jan 2011
Posts: 5461
Location: Main and Gerrard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
Haha I just want a smooth transaction.... guy buys 2 records from me with make an offer, for less cash. Then complains about the shipping, and asks how much it will be if he only buys one.... I'm like you'll pay for both, because you bought both, cunt!!


Ha ha this buyer wound up flabbergasted that he was expected to buy the records after I accepted his offer, he said and I quote: "agreed?!?! excuse me I never agreed to buy anything I only made an offer that you accepted and now I don't want one of them anymore"

Like, it's just not worth my fucking time to pack some shit up and amble over to the post office for $8, it's barely worth it for $15. I cancelled his fucking order when he wouldn't pay.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
_________________
Cyclopean Wall // ambient // drone (C40 available)
Basilus // space rock // space drone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Weltering in Blood



Joined: 24 May 2011
Posts: 2149
Location: Sweden

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
holy ghost wrote:
Haha I just want a smooth transaction.... guy buys 2 records from me with make an offer, for less cash. Then complains about the shipping, and asks how much it will be if he only buys one.... I'm like you'll pay for both, because you bought both, cunt!!


Ha ha this buyer wound up flabbergasted that he was expected to buy the records after I accepted his offer, he said and I quote: "agreed?!?! excuse me I never agreed to buy anything I only made an offer that you accepted and now I don't want one of them anymore"

Like, it's just not worth my fucking time to pack some shit up and amble over to the post office for $8, it's barely worth it for $15. I cancelled his fucking order when he wouldn't pay.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes


I don't even bother with those time wasters anymore. If I don't get payment within 48 hours of the invoice I cancel the order and relist. Some buyers act like they're doing you a favour or something.
_________________
WANT LIST
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group