P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Anyone else worried about CD degradation?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Anyone else worried about CD degradation? Reply with quote

Quote:

"Adrienne LaFrance reports at the Atlantic that f you've tried listening to any of the old CDs lately from your carefully assembled collection from the 1980's or 1990's you may have noticed that many of them won't play won't play. 'While most of the studio-manufactured albums I bought still play, there's really no telling how much longer they will. My once-treasured CD collection so carefully assembled over the course of about a decade beginning in 1994 isn't just aging; it's dying. And so is yours.'

Fenella France, chief of preservation research and testing at the Library of Congress is trying to figure out how CDs age so that we can better understand how to save them. But it's a tricky business, in large part because manufacturers have changed their processes over the years and even CDs made by the same company in the same year and wrapped in identical packaging might have totally different lifespans. 'We're trying to predict, in terms of collections, which of the types of CDs are the discs most at risk,' says France. 'The problem is, different manufacturers have different formulations so it's quite complex in trying to figure out what exactly is happening because they've changed the formulation along the way and it's proprietary information.' There are all kinds of forces that accelerate CD aging in real time. Eventually, many discs show signs of edge rot, which happens as oxygen seeps through a disc's layers. Some CDs begin a deterioration process called bronzing, which is corrosion that worsens with exposure to various pollutants. The lasers in devices used to burn or even play a CD can also affect its longevity. 'The ubiquity of a once dominant media is again receding. Like most of the technology we leave behind, CDs are are being forgotten slowly,' concludes LaFrance. 'We stop using old formats little by little. They stop working. We stop replacing them. And, before long, they're gone.'"

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/14/05/14/1459235/your-old-cd-collection-is-dying?utm_source=slashdot&utm_medium=twitter

I guess sealing them in airtight containers is the best bet, then sucking all the oxygen out.
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have purchased Melvin's Bullhead at least twice, because the metal apparently rotted away. I have also had that problem with Eggnogg, so the problem wasn't limited to Boner Records. I also remember that a friend of mine had a similar situation with Paranoid, years ago.

When they first came out, we all knew that CD's were going to last forever, so this doesn't suprise me.
pexo007

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Capitol records Reply with quote

My Megadeth old Capitol Records copies have this problem, seems like some oxydation on the metal layer. The weird thing is that it happen only to these records.
The Farthest Star

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't care. It's a digital format so it's 100% salvageable via FLAC. Artwork and booklets will survive the passage of time so there's no actual loss. Play your FLACs or burn them and pretend the original CD is spinning.

The only real loss is for resellers.

Worry about vynils.
dreadmeat

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the most epic disc rot I have ever come across, the disc obviously doesn't play Confused

NuclearGoatVomit

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was another thread about this. So, don't buy older CD's, is this right?
Aspidis

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted something similar to my reply a while ago:
It's not the old Cd's of mine that got problems. And they've been to harsh conditions before.

It's the newer one that are easy to start skipping. im sure media problems are more related in how they are made rather then the media itself.
What brings me the fear that recently made vinyl may be also of dubious quality...
Frozen

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a ton of CD's (including that Panacea album...) and I've never encountered disc rot. Could it be caused by a bad inner climate?
mlotek

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Capitol records Reply with quote

pexo007 wrote:
My Megadeth old Capitol Records copies have this problem, seems like some oxydation on the metal layer. The weird thing is that it happen only to these records.

??? hmm, all of mine were pressed in Canada or the USA, (long before any of the re-issues/remixes,so prob original pressings) and I haven't had this problem.

Is this disc-rot problem maybe only in certain countries ? ?
spectre

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A majority of my collection is made up of CDs, containing reissues and originals. Honestly, the only sign of disc rot i've seen is on a more recently issued album from 2011. Everything looks ok so far....this is something i've been concerned about though.
Tireheb

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuclearGoatVomit wrote:
So, don't buy older CD's, is this right?

Well it's not that simple. I have some CD's that were manufactured in the 80's and they work better than some of the most recent CD's. If you take care of the CD's in the same way as vinyls, they should be just fine.

"You can't hide the hook!"
lifeless

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah
I haven't changed the Cow Brand in my fridge for 4 years, the fuck I care about CDs
Snark Shark

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's some odd kind of degradation on a NECROPHOBIC ep I have. Possible because Black Mark was a cheap-o company?
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tireheb wrote:
I have some CD's that were manufactured in the 80's and they work better than some of the most recent CD's.

Me too. A lot of that has to do with the wider tracking in the 1980s which is more tolerant of error, and probably higher standards of manufacture since it was a more expensive process in general.
captainretardo

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory I believe all cds may eventually rot but in all likelihood all of the cds we own will be fine long past our deaths.

I know some manufacturers' products are more susceptible to it, however; e.g.:

http://www.brainwashed.com/common/htdocs/discrot.html

I only own one disc that I guess has "disc rot," but I am not 100% sure that's what it is. My damaged cd is the s/t debut of the Florida death/thrash band Solstice (1992 Steamhammer) . It basically has a little "hole" in the reflective layer, and light passes through it--if you hold up the disc, you will see light through the "hole," i.e., you can see through the disc there. You can see the "hole" from both the top and bottom of the disc. What I am calling a "hole" is not really a hole though, as you cannot stick a needle or something through the disc in that location; the cd is solid there, and only light can pass through.

Luckily however the "hole" is very small, and seems to be on a part of the cd where there is no music, and it still plays fine.

Am I worried about disc rot in general? Not at all. I probably have ~1000 cds and this is the only one with a defect, and many of my cds are much older than it.

Last edited by captainretardo on Wed May 14, 2014 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: