P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

"Has it aged well?" - PART 2: Dark Medieval Times
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Has it aged well?
Yes
60%
 60%  [ 53 ]
No
39%
 39%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 87

NK7
banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: "Has it aged well?" - PART 2: Dark Medieval Times Reply with quote

ADK seems to be MIA these days so I'll pick his idea for a poll. Once again, this isn't about liking or disliking the album (whoever has a brain that works must love it), it's about discussing whether it holds up well AD 2013. In my opinion it doesn't. I still listen to it regularly and it brings up a lot of good feelings/nostalgia/memories/younameit, but it definitely sounds naive and outdated. As with many other Norwegian bm records, it had a meaning back in the early '90ies but hasn't aged as well as, say, In The Nightside Eclipse or De Mysteriis.
jameswolfe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted no. Altough I always thought Satyriccon was second tier band from the scene, I did enjoy DMT. Now I never listen to it and that furhter reinforces my opinion about their place in the norwegian bm scene.
eighthplague

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I never liked it to begin with, but overlooking this, it does sound very dated these days.
Stalinorgel
banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still works fine for me, my favorite album of Satyricon.

"The Shadowthrone" on the other hand has lacked a bit of his flair, not into those Viking chantings anymore.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthplague wrote:
it does sound very dated these days.

I think the poor production is what kills it, drums especially have a rather dull sound. There are several strong songs on the album, would be cool to hear them with the production they got later on Nemesis Divina.
IIIRD GATEKEEPER

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time I heard it, the sound reminded me of Emperor MLP, only rawer. Dunno about ageing, it's ageless to me but it was never my favourite Satyricon stuff - let alone a classic - although I always liked it.

Stalinorgel wrote:
"The Shadowthrone" on the other hand has lacked a bit of his flair, not into those Viking chantings anymore.

I'm more into Shadowthrone but yeah, excluding Vikingland. That's the album's low point for me.

Aeonblade wrote:
Hyper distorted go nowhere songs with feedback sections. It's like everything wrong with doom.
DSS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always preferred "The Shadowthrone" over "DMT". "The Shadowthrone" has more going on in each song and songs differ from each other. The debut starts off great but then everything sounds like a filler. But I will say that it is a very original album for that time. Still listen to the first 2 songs from it on occasion but an album as a whole did not age well.
Feuersturm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good classic Norwegian stuff I like to keep close. Not an all time favorite perhaps, but based on the listen a few weeks ago, my opinion hasn't changed much. One thing that has been getting under my skin the last couple of times is that seriously awkward acoustics/flute part on the title track, which goes on and on...
WindsOfApocalypse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You people are fucking nuts. This album is timeless and great from beginning to end to me. The guitar sound alone deserves a medal, not to mention the drums.
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: "Has it aged well?" - PART 2: Dark Medieval Ti Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
it definitely sounds naive and outdated.

Perfect description of my feelings about this record.
BENEDICTINE PALPITATIONS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindsOfApocalypse wrote:
You people are fucking nuts. This album is timeless and great from beginning to end to me. The guitar sound alone deserves a medal, not to mention the drums.
Fallen_Empire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got really re-into this album like 4 years ago but haven't listened to it much since.
under a funeral shroom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Medieval Times is still an album I enjoy but I generally listen to The Shadowthrone instead when I need an old Satyricon fix. I also like the cheesy Viking chants though.
WarInvocator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This album is a masterpiece, imho. It really captures the feeling of the album theme, which, oddly enough is.......Dark Medieval Times.
multicide

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is still my favorite Satyricon. Into the Mighty Forest and The Dark Castle in the Deep Forest are great tracks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: