P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

TRAVEL WITH INSTRUMENT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guido

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: TRAVEL WITH INSTRUMENT Reply with quote

I'm going to travel to Germany within the next months with my bass, and i would like to know if any of you had some troubles with instrument by plane and/or train?
Because i read some bad experiences here and there on internet...
Thanks!
ias

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put alot of Gaffa on your case. Tune below so yer strings dont crash (the plane ). I think its 0 euro for 1 person / instrument. Once I had to pay for my cymbalcase, sooo oooooo Check em out dem rules and Regalations
Guido

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Anyone more?
samuxul

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ias wrote:
Put alot of Gaffa on your case. Tune below so yer strings dont crash (the plane ). I think its 0 euro for 1 person / instrument. Once I had to pay for my cymbalcase, sooo oooooo Check em out dem rules and Regalations

That's about it. Call your airline and ask, or just search their website for answers. Some companies charge for luggage some don't. I once got my guitar on the plane with me. Depends who is at the counter when you check in. Wear a suit, that might help.
frostjunkie

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did two Euro tours with a beat to shit guitar case, just make sure you tape over all the latches(I just use the tape they lend you at the airport). I had a huge seem split on the case as well and used gaffers tape along it. Also shove some shirts around then edges of the instrument and underneath the neck so that it sits snug and there is no play in the case. Detuning the strings is also really important, just make them slack.
K_S Imprecator

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frostjunkie wrote:
Detuning the strings is also really important, just make them slack.

do not detune your guitar.this is an old wives tale.unless you have no truss rod in your guitar you are putting it out of balance.
The baggage trolls will throw your case around so make sure it is solid and your guitar cannot move inside it and you will have zero problems.
Guido

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. I guess travelling by train is safe journey for my bass, but fucking longer heh.
Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guido wrote:
Good. I guess travelling by train is safe journey for my bass, but fucking longer heh.
Yup, it's definitely safer.
Garcia

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2012 I went to NWN! Fest Vol III and I remember that in my plane from Frankfurt to Berlin at least 2 members of Festival bands travelled with their Basses in proper instrument suitcase and when the plane landed they opened the suitcase in Berlin to verify the instrument. They find no problem.
Guido

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your tips guys! I will probably travel by train, i really cannot take the risk of damage my bass. But fuck the travel for Berlin will be long heh.
Endsieg

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you call up the airline and ask about it, it shouldn't be a problem.

I travelled to finland, greece, usa and others by plane taking instruments, and on cheap ass airlines as aegean and easyjet. no problems. get a proper case. they also have packing stations on (good) airports where they will wrap the whole case in some sort of cling film.

there's still a small risk though so make sure to check your instrument on arrival and go nuts on them if anything is wrong.
xxx

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what everyone said:

- call the airliner... these low budget airliners like `ryan air fuck you over big time, if you use a less cheaper option: most of the time, never a problem, but always call before...

- ductape... I always use to wrap op the "locks" with a little bit of plastic foil and tape them all off... also maybe put an extra roll of duct tape in your case for the way back, since most airliners ar enot to keen on customers bringing tape in hand luggage... and throw in some shirts / towel in the case to protect the guitar, so it can not roll around in the case, since although it might be "odd luggage" they still throw it away... you would not be the first one finding his guitar or guitar case heavily damaged!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: