P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Great King Diamond Article
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Candlemass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Great King Diamond Article Reply with quote

navght wrote:

Some people should shut the fuck up. Why should the king himself stop making music?

x10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

gromcrom wrote:
Other fails must listen instead homeless hiking gypsy of Darkthrones.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Great King Diamond Article Reply with quote

navght wrote:

Some people should shut the fuck up. Why should the king himself stop making music?

Because he clearly doesn't have it anymore and as a diehard fan of his earlier works it's frustrating to see him ruin the legacy of a once so great band with mediocre albums. I understand the guy must pay the bills and stuff but I believe he sold enough cds to retire and mind his cats/wife instead of releasing more weak records.
DSS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Great King Diamond Article Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
navght wrote:

Because he clearly doesn't have it anymore and as a diehard fan of his earlier works it's frustrating to see him ruin the legacy of a once so great band with mediocre albums. I understand the guy must pay the bills and stuff but I believe he sold enough cds to retire and mind his cats/wife instead of releasing more weak records.

Nothing can compare to the '80s MF/KD. Those albums will always be classic. And yes I do agree in a way that newer albums when compared to the old ones sound a bit mediocre and both bands no longer have the same 'concept' as they did back in the day. However, I rather spend my money on a new MF or KD album then on some other shit being released today. Problem with today's releases is that the label/band will have a sample from the new album and most people (I'm guilty of this as well) will purchase the album based on that one song/sample only to realize that it is the only good song on the album and there rest is pure crap. At least you know that with MF/KD you get music that's played well with some thought put into it. It's too late to quit now if you ask me. The legacy has already been ruined. But the bands are his and he has the right to do as he wishes.

And on another note; I like the fact that HHR lets you listen to full albums on their site. I believe they're streaming the new Vomitor right now.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Great King Diamond Article Reply with quote

DSS wrote:

Nothing can compare to the '80s MF/KD. Those albums will always be classic. And yes I do agree in a way that newer albums when compared to the old ones sound a bit mediocre and both bands no longer have the same 'concept' as they did back in the day. However, I rather spend my money on a new MF or KD album then on some other shit being released today. Problem with today's releases is that the label/band will have a sample from the new album and most people (I'm guilty of this as well) will purchase the album based on that one song/sample only to realize that it is the only good song on the album and there rest is pure crap. At least you know that with MF/KD you get music that's played well with some thought put into it. It's too late to quit now if you ask me. The legacy has already been ruined. But the bands are his and he has the right to do as he wishes.

Well I have to admit I hit a bit too hard on the man, I still buy all KD records (gave up on MF long ago though) and what you say is truth indeed, King Diamond on his worst day shits on most metal released today. Being such a big fan I just don't like the direction his music took after The Spider's Lullabye (which in my book is the last classic album he did), things went downhill after he changed his make up and started wearing that dumb tube.
Professor Black

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say only the MF/KD albums up to Conspiracy are essential, so I also don't care too much about a new record. I'll check it out, but with low expectations.

However he sure hasn't toured heavily in the 90s or 00s, so it's great that he's gotten himself back in shape to do so and retire on his own terms rather than being stopped by his health. I'm sure a lot of people here and everywhere haven't gotten to see him live, and I would certainly go see him for a third time myself, with either band, playing whatever songs.

Time is definitely not on our side when it comes to the original generation of heavy metal bands...
MassDoomFan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Great King Diamond Article Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
navght wrote:

totally agree. also his new Corpse paint hat thing is really gay...please retire mr. diamond
DSS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Black wrote:
I would say only the MF/KD albums up to Conspiracy are essential, so I also don't care too much about a new record. I'll check it out, but with low expectations.

However he sure hasn't toured heavily in the 90s or 00s....

He had no support from the label. Remember that most "metal" labels turned their backs on bands which made money for them for many years. KD was one of those bands and he even talked about it in many of his interviews. He simply had no financial support from the label to tour. Grundge was the excuse the label used telling him that no one is interested in Metal anymore.

And "The Eye" is a great album. A progression in the right direction. It's a fantastic album from beginning to end.
Professor Black

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSS wrote:
And "The Eye" is a great album. A progression in the right direction.

It absolutely is, if you think the right direction is drum machines, inferior songwriting, and cheapo digital recordings. And I would certainly accept an economic explanation for those things as well.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSS wrote:

And "The Eye" is a great album. A progression in the right direction. It's a fantastic album from beginning to end.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. It's his ultimate masterpiece, a stunning record with may be only one weak song (Behind these walls) and shitloads of amazing riffs and baroque harmonies, keys also were never as good as on The Eye. In my book it's even better than Abigail and Fatal Portrait.
Stalinorgel
banned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Eye" is extremely underrated. The perfect soundtrack to 17th century witchcraft and inquisition.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalinorgel wrote:
"The Eye" is extremely underrated. The perfect soundtrack to 17th century witchcraft and inquisition.

Hell yes, the atmosphere on that record is wicked. The best "medieval" metal album ever as far as I'm concerned
GiantCogs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Diamond really likes cats.
Germaniac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Black wrote:
DSS wrote:
And "The Eye" is a great album. A progression in the right direction.

It absolutely is, if you think the right direction is drum machines,...

Yes! MORE DRUM MACHINES!
The Krusher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalinorgel wrote:

THIS. If you disagree you deserve to be shot in the head and pissed on.
nileppez

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think artist releasing subpar albums is some super shame upon his career. Obviously, that's excluding cringe worthy releases like Cold Lake, Unspoken King, new Satyricon, St Anger + Lulu etc. which rather than being plain mediocre are actually offensive for the fans. As for KD, I don't think he ever released an album which would be like that, so I'd just let it pass even if he releases bunch of more mediocrity.

The Eye is his solo one I like the most. Still, I value all MF albums much higher than most of his solo discography.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: