P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

'70s Judas Priest
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Sacrifice to vice
Rocka Rolla
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Sad Wings of Destiny
46%
 46%  [ 23 ]
Sin After Sin
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
Stained Class
24%
 24%  [ 12 ]
Killing Machine
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Unleashed in the East
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 49

Frozen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: '70s Judas Priest Reply with quote

Let's talk about the birth of leather and Judas Priest's original heyday.

skurk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sin after sin ... love the song : here comes the tears
CR99

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna vote Rocka Rolla, not because it is the best, but it is certainly underrated and the one album that got me into JP. "Run of the Mill" is a classic song in my book.
NuclearGoatVomit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll after poll...voted for Sad wings again Very Happy
Deathwish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything they did in the 70's was and still is fuckin great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=957N7EAtpY4 This classic Whistletest performance is still exellent.
and just noticed this now... live in 1975 clip...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qxHT478EcI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GShr13m0UZ8 Unleashed In the East 1978 pro shot footage.. fuckin magic!

Halford is the coolest gay on earth (along with Derren Brown)... he was doin it before it became a trend Cool
axebix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is always too hard for me. I'll go with Stained Class today because I listened to it the most in the last week or so and planned putting it today, but really it could have been Sad Wings or Sin After Sin. Either way, some of the best material ever.

My favourite moment however is "Here Come the Tears" into "Dissident Aggressor", the very definition of metal. And also the fact that you expect a galloping rhythm in the fade in but it crushes you with mega downstroke, double bass barrage and the scream of the god himself. Hail Priest!
Omni

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're all great, but Stained Class is a work of complete focus and has their most mature compositions, without sacrificing any of the wild intensity that made early Judas Priest so great.
hymnsoftheneedlefreak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There could only be one answer:

SAD WINGS OF DESTINY
The third of the storms

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuclearGoatVomit wrote:
Poll after poll...voted for Sad wings again Very Happy

This. And because Sad wings won last poll, isn't it quite obvious how this is going to play out.
heavymetalsteve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Wings for me, my favorite Priest album and one of the best albums ever. Their 70s stuff is great but Sad Wings towers above the others.
That damned mattress was his undoing. I am sure everything was on track until that mattress, nevermind dimmu borgir vinyl. Just something in db combined with a mattress than can ruin any good intentions.
Too Dark Park

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point I can't take these polls seriously anymore.
al_infierno

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real tough choice between Sin and Sad Wings, but I had to go with Sin out of personal preference

Bostitch wrote:

I quit before starting such a Bullshit, i get an Orgasm otherwise or buy some other Tapes from other Labels.
Frozen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deathwish wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GShr13m0UZ8 Unleashed In the East 1978 pro shot footage.. fuckin magic!

Great post and interesting that they only wore leather for the album sleeve, and not at the actual show.

al_infierno wrote:
Real tough choice between Sin and Sad Wings, but I had to go with Sin out of personal preference

Sin After Sin has Simon Phillips on drums, so that's definitely a plus.
Frozen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first official Judas Priest biography ever is being released on the 20th of September. This should be interesting!

Quote:
Memoir by the cofounder and former lead guitarist of heavy metal giants Judas Priest

Judas Priest formed in the industrial city of Birmingham, England, in 1969. With its distinctive twin-guitar sound, studs-and-leather image, and international sales of over 50 million records, Judas Priest became the archetypal heavy metal band in the 1980s. Iconic tracks like "Breaking the Law," "Living after Midnight," and "You've Got Another Thing Coming" helped the band achieve extraordinary success, but no one from the band has stepped out to tell their or the band's story until now.

As the band approaches its golden anniversary, fans will at last be able to delve backstage into the decades of shocking, hilarious, and haunting stories that surround the heavy metal institution. In Heavy Duty, guitarist K.K. Downing discusses the complex personality conflicts, the business screw-ups, the acrimonious relationship with fellow heavy metal band Iron Maiden, as well as how Judas Priest found itself at the epicenter of a storm of parental outrage that targeted heavy metal in the '80s. He also describes his role in cementing the band's trademark black leather and studs image that would not only become synonymous with the entire genre, but would also give singer Rob Halford a viable outlet by which to express his sexuality. Lastly, he recounts the life-changing moment when he looked at his bandmates on stage during a 2009 concert and thought, "This is the last show." Whatever the topic, whoever's involved, K.K. doesn't hold back.

With the band at the beginning through his retirement in 2011 (and even still as a member of the band's board of directors), Downing has seen it all and is now finally at a place in his life where he can also let it all go. Even if you're a lifelong fan, if you think you know the full story of Judas Priest, well, you've got another thing coming.
Review
"Downing, guitarist and founding member of the British heavy metal band Judas Priest, delivers a thoughtful account of his 40-year career with the group...Downing's detailed and earnest look at Judas Priest's career successfully shows how it achieved its main artistic goal-to empower its audience with a 'sense of freedom and power' through its music."― Publishers Weekly

"A rare look into life behind the scenes with his former band."
― The Hype

"[Downing] demolishes the myths and reveals a man-and a band-in constant turmoil. There are many revelations...A curious, cathartic read."― Planet Rock
About the Author
Ken "K.K." Downing is a guitarist and founding member of heavy metal band Judas Priest. He formed the band at the age of sixteen after getting kicked out of his home by his abusive father and the band eventually found success during the New Wave of British heavy metal in the late 1970s and into the 1980s. K.K. retired from the band in 2011 and lives in Shropshire, England.

Mark Eglinton is a frequent cowriter whose previous collaborations include Official Truth, 101 Proof with Rex Brown of Pantera and Confessions of a Heretic with Behemoth's Adam "Nergal" Darski, along with the solo project So Let It Be Written: The Biography of Metallica's James Hetfield. Eglinton divides his time between Scotland and the Pacific Northwest.

Pre-orders: https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Nights-Judas-Priest/dp/0306903318/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534507615&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=heavy+duty+kk&dpPl=1&dpID=51JfCWEDYHL&ref=plSrch#productDescription_secondary_view_div_1534507645158
amon-goethe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozen wrote:
Deathwish wrote:

Great post and interesting that they only wore leather for the album sleeve, and not at the actual show.

Maybe they did, since that's not the same show as the live LP. Obviously the same tour though. Cool video.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: