P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Moscow / Saint-Petersburg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttrv

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Moscow / Saint-Petersburg Reply with quote

Any decent shops for metal CDs in Moscow and Saint-Petersburg? I am mainly looking for reissues of old russian metal, no rarities. But it has to be reasobably priced.

Also are there any record stores in Nizhny Novogorod and Kazan?
PsychicViolence

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to look when I was in Moscow but had no luck. Doesn't mean there isn't something there, it's just a hard thing for a non-Russian speaker/reader to track down, in my experience anyway. Friends in St. Petersburg told me there wasn't much in terms of physical stores that you couldn't find in Europe/North America, and that if you wanted to buy anything at a reasonable price it's best to just buy it from a distro at a show.

I Seriously doubt there's anything worthwhile in NN or Kazan, but who knows. If there is I'd be curious to hear about it. I don't know how far towards the Urals/Siberia you're going (I'm assuming you're taking some leg of the Trans-Siberian Express?), but I actually wouldn't be surprised if there were some cool shit floating around Perm or Tomsk.

Try not to get robbed by Krokodile smoking skinheads!
ttrv

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. Yes I don't expect to find much metal-wise there. At least I read Cyrillic, so it will help me to go around. I am going up to Samara, but not further east.
Smaragd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moscow:

http://www.rock-arsenal.ru/contacts

http://www.rockborya.ru/kontakty

Saint-Petersburg:

http://www.castlerock.ru/about/contacts

PsychicViolence wrote:

Try not to get robbed by Krokodile smoking skinheads!

Krokodile is not for smoking.)
jnfernal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorbushka Shopping Mall in Moscow is one of the biggest place where you can find everything....CD's, Vinyls, originals, bootleg, reissues....despite the bad reputation it got because of many shops selling bootlegs, you can find also A LOT of original records. I spent almost 2 weeks in there.

In St. Peterburg you can go to "Play", a very very very good shop that is half way from the main train station and Gostyinyij Dvor subway station, in Nevski Prospekt. Once you cross a channel you turn right (coming from the train station) and you walk straight until a small square.

The Castle Rock shop in St. Peterburg is not that good...you can find many new releases but it's just like any HIV shop scattered in the world...but it's just behind the train station, so you may pay a visit. It's inside a big shopping mall calles "Galereya" whose entrance looks like a Coliseum or an old roman temple, if I remember correctly.

As for other towns...mah...there was a very very good music and records store in Irkutsk but it's closed now.

On the way to Samara I know nothing. Probably there's something in Omsk as it was an historical place for the birth and developping of russian punk in the early 80's (Grazhdanskaya Oborona, Yanka Dyagleva...)

Kazan, Novosibirsk, Ekaterinenburg...there is nothing. I stopped in each of them and I found nothing except a few microscopic shop that mainly sell Mp3 collections or cdr

Then safety is not a very big issue. Unless you look like georgian, armenian, turkmen, kazakh or turkish or black, you may live quite well and safely in Russia. I spent 3 months in there and I never get any kind of problem.

Edit: Castle Rock in St. Peterburg is a microscopic shop in a basement, at the end of an alley just in front of this roman-style shoping mall. You'll find it easily because at the entrance of the alley gallery there are always a lot of metal/rock/punk posters and flyers. But they really have nothing special. The one right inside the shopping mall "Galereya" is good but it's a typical chain store shop like HIV...but it's quite huge

I remember there was also a very very very good second hand shop in St. Peterburg but I really can't remember where. I walked randomly and I found it. It's in a basement as well, inside a little court surrounded by XIX century buildings. Not too far from "Play" music shop as I was coming from there. There, there was a lot of stuff; original vinyl and cds, tapes, new and second hand stuff...but I remember it was not very cheap

Last edited by jnfernal on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:01 am; edited 1 time in total
taintedone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnfernal wrote:
Gorbushka Shopping Mall in Moscow is one of the biggest place where you can find everything....CD's, Vinyls, originals, bootleg, reissues....despite the bad reputation it got because of many shops selling bootlegs, you can find also A LOT of original records. I spent almost 2 weeks in there.

In St. Peterburg you can go to "Play", a very very very good shop that is half way from the main train station and Gostyinyij Dvor subway station, in Nevski Prospekt. Once you cross a channel you turn right (coming from the train station) and you walk straight until a small square.
The Castle Rock shop in St. Peterburg is not that good...you can find many new releases but it's just like any HIV shop scattered in the world...but it's just behind the train station, so you may pay a visit. It's inside a big shopping mall whose entrance looks like a Coliseum or an old roman temple, if I remember correctly.

As for other towns...mah...there was a very very good music and records store in Irkutsk but it's closed now.

On the way to Samara I know nothing. Probably there's something in Omsk as it was an historical place for the birth and developping of russian punk in the early 80's (Grazhdanskaya Oborona, Yanka Dyagleva...)

Kazan, Novosibirsk, Ekaterinenburg...there is nothing. I stopped in each of them and I found nothing except a few microscopic shop that mainly sell Mp3 collections or cdr

Then safety is not a very big issue. Unless you look like georgian, armenian, turkmen, kazakh or turkish or black, you may live quite well and safely in Russia. I spent 3 months in there and I never get any kind of problem.

Yeah "Haagenti"had a story about this in moscow @concert.3-4 Nazis came and asked him which side of turkey he is?.East or west?.Then he said,"West" so they released him.Hillarious..
jnfernal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah....most of times they asked me suspiciously if I were turkish or armenian or georgian, looking bad at me. Then when I said I am italian they opened their smile and welcome me to drink or smoke a cigarette together. Well, depends where you go....in Siberia I never had any kind of problems - on the contrary I met WONDERFUL people - but in St. Peterburg or Moskva you MAY have some problems. Tourists are welcome but ex-soviet immigrants (or people who look like them) are nox exactly welcomed in the federation...expecially in St. Peterburg where it's said to be much more dangeros than Moskva. But - as usual - it depends on where you go. Downtown is safe. Suburbs are hell on earth even for locals.

And - by the way - I was just coming from a 3-months stay in Istanbul and Ankara....places that I really, really, really love. And I'm thinking to move there soon again Smile
taintedone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnfernal wrote:
Yeah....most of times they asked me suspiciously if I were turkish or armenian or georgian, looking bad at me. Then when I said I am italian they opened their smile and welcome me to drink or smoke a cigarette together. Well, depends where you go....in Siberia I never had any kind of problems - on the contrary I met WONDERFUL people - but in St. Peterburg or Moskva you MAY have some problems. Tourists are welcome but ex-soviet immigrants (or people who look like them) are nox exactly welcomed in the federation...expecially in St. Peterburg where it's said to be much more dangeros than Moskva. But - as usual - it depends on where you go. Downtown is safe. Suburbs are hell on earth even for locals.

And - by the way - I was just coming from a 3-months stay in Istanbul and Ankara....places that I really, really, really love. And I'm thinking to move there soon again Smile

true.they got tolerance and respectful against strangers.so you welcome hehe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: