P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

STOP USING PVC PROTECTING SLEEVES ON YOUR VINYL ALBUMS
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
translucent_nick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: STOP USING PVC PROTECTING SLEEVES ON YOUR VINYL ALBUMS Reply with quote

Since this label has largely it's output pressed on vinyl, and 99% of the people here are vinyl albums fans, I thought it's OK to bring on your attention the "PVC MISTING VINYL DAMAGE ISSUE", as it's happened to me and to other people I know.

To cut a long story short, the damage is provoked by old PVC sleeves who getting polymerized over time, and due to a chemical gas leaking on the process, the vinyl album that's near to the material got affected too.

When the vinyl misting problem affects the album, the audio effect is like you listen to old scratchy 78" discs and the appearance of the album itself is "foggy".

Plus read these too :
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/warning-to-all-record-collectors-outer-bag-inner-sleeve-concerns.387179/

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=43623&sid=255644d478a32752a4e3298bab9b7d66

My damaged vinyls are mainly UK pressings for some reason, and here in Athens, Greece we have a weather combination of high heat and high humidity over long periods of time.

If it's happening to have a similar thread / topic at the past, ignore this, BUT PROTECT YOUR RECORDS - STOP USING THIS FUCKING THING Evil or Very Mad
"What's with the girly screams? We are not The Beatles" - Black Winds / “The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche. / STOP USING PVC PROTECTING SLEEVES ON YOUR VINYL ALBUMS
Evil Fifi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partially used these shit sleeves for 7"'s and cds in the past with the result that some of the 7"' covers as well as cds (not the cover) kind of started getting "glued" on the pvc. Nice...
krieg666

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so this only has to do with old records correct?
Ough

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't get a straight answer from these articles. Is it the outer or inner sleeve? Is it only if the record has direct contact with the PVC or does it affect a record that's ALSO in a paper sleeve? Does it affect only older records? Is it even real? NO FUCKING CARE

http://nghtrhthms.com
JustCallMeBill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's those thick PVC sleeves, similar to those used on pic discs of old, Judas Priest' Nostradamus 3LP box set had the vinyl inside these hideous PVC sleeves instead of poly / paper bags, every set is knackered now with that grey mist / oil slick sheen to the surface. Seen many old vinyl collections from the 70's & 80's stored in these only to find the vinyl on many has gone misty years later.
RIDRID

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HerrTreblinka

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only picture discs have those (or that's at least in my case) and I only own two Pic discs (and don't plan on expanding the collection in that format, which still exists for some odd, abstract, metaphysical reasons).

This is actually a question: why do Pic discs always come with PVC sleeves?
Xeniteia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you prefer? These overbleached paper sleeves that leave paper cuts on the records and, considering how their surface feels to the digits, probably causes big friction scars to the records ?
holyhell666

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Japanese resealable sleeves and poly-lined inner sleeves are the best ways to protect vinyl. They are more expensive but well worth the protection.
windofpain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holyhell666 wrote:
Japanese resealable sleeves and poly-lined inner sleeves are the best ways to protect vinyl. They are more expensive but well worth the protection.

poly-lined inner sleeves are good. the best type imo is rice paper inner sleeves
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/78065/-Rice_Paper_Sleeve_with_QRP_logo-Record_Supplies
windofpain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xeniteia wrote:
What do you prefer? These overbleached paper sleeves that leave paper cuts on the records and, considering how their surface feels to the digits, probably causes big friction scars to the records ?

this isn't talking about inner sleeves. it's regarding the thick PVC outer sleeves, thick kind of stiff outer sleeves, have an almost oily look to them.

shitty thick paper inner sleeves are not good for records but if used carefully they won't cause any major scuffs. poly-lined inner sleeves are good, the rice paper inners that i posted a link to in my comment above are the best type of inner sleeves you can use.
funeral-records

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

people actually use those piece of shit outer sleeves? cant even see the spine of the LP on the shelf, total shit. snug resealable sleeves with poly lined/rice paper inners only.
sell/tradelist: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1299166#1299166
doomedplanet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even some label occasionally use these sleeves. I was just sorting my 7" collection and rebagging stuff, anyway the Angel Sword " Kallio Rock City" came in a pvc bag so I threw it out.
Ough

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doomedplanet wrote:
Even some label occasionally use these sleeves. I was just sorting my 7" collection and rebagging stuff, anyway the Angel Sword " Kallio Rock City" came in a pvc bag so I threw it out.

God thank you for this example cuz I had no clue what PVC outer sleeves were. Also, other than this 7", I don't think I have a single one of these.

http://nghtrhthms.com
doomedplanet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ough wrote:
doomedplanet wrote:

God thank you for this example cuz I had no clue what PVC outer sleeves were. Also, other than this 7", I don't think I have a single one of these.

I thought that might be the case. These type sleeves can be ok for awhile, but like a previous poster mentioned heat and humidity they can start to get bad in some years. In normal cool conitions they can be fine for over 10 years but sometimes not...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: