P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Collections VS insurance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weltering in Blood

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xeniteia wrote:
Voidwards wrote:
As someone already said, you as a policyholder will be required to prove that the items were in your possession.

That's the main point. You need to have photos, etc. My insurance can cover my collection. You just have to pay more for more value, but in case of a problem you have to prove you owned these records, and a simple list may not be enough.

How can they be certain that you own the record in the photo or that you haven't just sold it? Sounds like a minefield of problems if you ask me. Trying to squeeze money out of them for my car is bad enough, I don't think I could handle the headache of trying to get them to pay out on my copy of Aske hehe
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voidwards wrote:
there's loads of valuable record collections out there that people have been taken out policies for

Sure, but I guess most of those are collections of Beatles, Stones or other big bands whose value can be established objectively by estimators through books and experts on the subject. Nothing like that exists for underground death/black stuff.
krakentorso

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my insurance company told me to make photos of each record and to ad something like a bill for the record purchase and here lies the problem: no one of us has such bills left and how do I prove that the value of that LP I bought 10 years ago is not 15 EURO but 150 worth.

there are no price catalogs for kvltfago BM records just like for beatles or sex pistols records and there won't be a neutral surveyor/consultant being an expert for kvltfago records, so in the case your house burns down, you're fucked.
Xeniteia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some distros send printed receipts along with the records. This may be a good start. Online ones may help too. Especially in case the printed ones burn along the rest of one's house.
krakentorso

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xeniteia wrote:
Some distros send printed receipts along with the records. This may be a good start. Online ones may help too. Especially in case the printed ones burn along the rest of one's house.

for recent purchases, yes, but what about those bought 20 years ago that are more valuable?
Speerhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got my music collection listed as a standalone item on my contents policy as it exceeds the normal limit for standard items (as I imagine most people's will on here). When I got burgled a few years ago the insurance company replaced what they could (i.e. the easy-to-find stuff) and gave me cash for the rest, including the prices for some rare CDs based on my own estimates. Pretty good I thought; I guess as much as insurance companies would like to avoid paying out, they don't want to piss off customers either.

All of which reminds me, I should get around to cataloguing all my stuff again.
samsquanch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most general 'House & Contents' policies have a limit on 'media' of only a few thousands, I guess so people don't simply say I had 10 grand worth of DVDs and CDs.

But I cannot see how hard it would be for an Insurance Company to ascertain the value of certain obscure records. I mean.... they have the internet, right?
Voidwards

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
Voidwards wrote:
there's loads of valuable record collections out there that people have been taken out policies for

Sure, but I guess most of those are collections of Beatles, Stones or other big bands whose value can be established objectively by estimators through books and experts on the subject. Nothing like that exists for underground death/black stuff.

Aye, that's one aspect of it.
Voidwards

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

samsquanch wrote:
I think most general 'House & Contents' policies have a limit on 'media' of only a few thousands, I guess so people don't simply say I had 10 grand worth of DVDs and CDs.

But I cannot see how hard it would be for an Insurance Company to ascertain the value of certain obscure records. I mean.... they have the internet, right?

Yes - and most likely it's not a very generous limit, and will be calculated as a lump sum payment like xx£/$/€ per CD or something like that as it's intended for "normal" media and not collectible stuff.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

samsquanch wrote:

Internet/popsike links mean jackshit to their eyes and it's not hard to understand why. It's very easy to set up a fake ebay account, bump the price of an auction and claim a certain record is worth $1k.
samsquanch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But they must hold some weight to give a ballpark figure of the value of an album?

Imagine if your policy was for replacement and your Insurer had to sit on ebay bidding against some shut-in from Frankfurt. "Sorry sir, KingDiamond69 sniped the auction".
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

samsquanch wrote:
Imagine if your policy was for replacement and your Insurer had to sit on ebay bidding against some shut-in from Frankfurt. "Sorry sir, KingDiamond69 sniped the auction".

Laughing

To answer your remark, I really don't think they would care about whichever HTML documentation you might be able to exhibit. You'll almost certainly need a piece of paper signed by some qualified surveyor with in depth descriptions and visual evidence of each single item you own, its conditions, date of purchase and whatnot. From my own (short) past experience as an insurer agent, I can positively state we did all we could to rip people off even when they had a legit right to claim their money. Insurance companies are a legalized fraud for the most part.
samsquanch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ No doubt. Pond scum of the highest order who reside in hell marginally above paedophiles, real estate agents and dog fuckers.
doomedplanet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with insurance claim 'deniers' is they are inherently scum, it is their job to make money for their company by screwing their customers. It is your job to stand your ground if they try to do their job of denying, also hire an attorney if they fuck you, and your claim is large enough. So if you have a massive collection, the biggest problem is a total loss if your place burns to the ground. The only way you would stand a chance to at least have the best outcome would be good documentation, photos, etc in a safe deposit box so you can retrieve the info after the loss.
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

accountability seems to be full of similar frauds already mentioned here. I felt as if a special insurance could be taken out for such things, but its really hard to verify a lot of things without proper documentation. Probably only worth it for those collections that literally have multiple records worth 3 and 4 digit amounts, and not every collection.

My collection for example has LPs ranging from $5-75 for the most part, maybe a couple records higher on the amount. If i could agree to an average $20 per LP i could probably make almost equal amounts in settlement to what my collection is actually worth.

At some point in the record collecting world though im sure metal records will reach the same notoriety as 80's hardcore, kbd punk, 60's and 70's garage, psyche, and rock records, old blues 78s, etc in the collector world and the people with large collections or a lot of the private press NWOBHM and US Metal rarities will probably also be the experts who can document them properly and authenticate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: