P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Astennu (Carpe Tenebrum, Dimmu Borgir)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmaLurra

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Astennu (Carpe Tenebrum, Dimmu Borgir) Reply with quote

Visiting some of the Carpe Tenebrum material (first two LPs are really enjoyable), in addition to Dimmu's SBD album, and it got me wondering what on earth happened to Astennu. Dropped pretty much off the face of the earth after 2002, it seems. Anyone know where the guy went?
Klown

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think at some point I had read that he had serious problems with drug addiction.

I liked his solos, they were pretty "spacey".
AmaLurra

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out he has a bloody wiki page!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astennu_%28musician%29
Morbid Obesity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always assumed he was Norwegian. Learn something new every day.
Blort

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiritual Black Dimensions is some ultra-corny fun.
N.W.D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Astennu was trolling the fb event page for a Slayer tribute gig (or was it a Dimebag tribute gig, definitely organised by the same people) in Sydney last year.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blort wrote:

It was cool when it first dropped, I really liked it ...back then, what seems like ages ago now.
Blort

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch wrote:
Blort wrote:

It was cool when it first dropped, I really liked it ...back then, what seems like ages ago now.

Listened to it recently.

For what it is, it still sounds about the same.

Over the top. shameless, cheese.
da666

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember there use to be the rumor going around that he wrote "Enthroned Darkness Triumphant" and that was part of his initiation into Dimmu (to do that album but not be named on it) - which would explain why some of it sounds heavily like Lord Kaos and why the style changed quite a bit on this album (also he was part of that era live where they were only doing songs off stormblast and enthroned - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW-DdSNwDY0 ) - but all just part of the rumor mill so who knows.

I recall him not being to impressed when I burned the Israeli flag on stage at a show he was the sound engineer for, he ran down and pulled the burning thing off its flagpole/spear and stormed off with it.
The good 'ol days, miss em.
The Fallen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmaLurra wrote:
Turns out he has a bloody wiki page!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astennu_%28musician%29

that mystic circle shirt though...
The Mentor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

da666 wrote:
I remember there use to be the rumor going around that he wrote "Enthroned Darkness Triumphant" and that was part of his initiation into Dimmu (to do that album but not be named on it) - which would explain why some of it sounds heavily like Lord Kaos and why the style changed quite a bit on this album (also he was part of that era live where they were only doing songs off stormblast and enthroned - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW-DdSNwDY0 ) - but all just part of the rumor mill so who knows.

I recall him not being to impressed when I burned the Israeli flag on stage at a show he was the sound engineer for, he ran down and pulled the burning thing off its flagpole/spear and stormed off with it.
The good 'ol days, miss em.

I kinda doubt he had anything to do with EDT. Yeah he was touring with them at the time (as seen in the Nuclear Blast VHS of them and dissection supporting cradle of fags) he came back to australia and started making a reputation recording bands like switchblade, stonger than hate and infernal method...I know he charged a fuckload of money due to his rep (the aforementioned bands most likely got mates rates, infernal method probably was free cause he played guitar for them for a while....the album version sucked compared to the old mp3.com demos just sayin)

I heard his recording of several bands. the quality of them waned with each release...some decent (after being mastered at a world class facility) and some meh...he charged a band $10,000 to record an album...10 grand is a lot of money for a band who is not signed...and the product would not fetch that price tag.

I emailed him to record my old band back in the day and he wanted $7,500 for an EP...I balked and never replied.
MT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when doing leads he played the exact same arpeggio in every dimmu or covenant song.
those were the days...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: