P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Celtic Frost Remastering Sessions 2016
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deadskin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:05 am    Post subject: Celtic Frost Remastering Sessions 2016 Reply with quote

MAYHEM „Life eternal” VINYL
THORNS "Societé Anonyme" & "Embrace / Fragment"
Nosferatu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it ain't broke...
WindsOfApocalypse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Celtic Frost Remastering Sessions 2016 Reply with quote

deadskin wrote:

I'm assuming wherever you pulled these from, some information or the other was given. What are we looking at here exactly, Morbid Tales/To Mega Therion era remasters or some uninteresting shit?
deadskin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's from official forum
http://www.triptykon.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2561
MAYHEM „Life eternal” VINYL
THORNS "Societé Anonyme" & "Embrace / Fragment"
Heretic Death Call

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote from Tom on the forum:
Quote:
"Thus far, I have only heard the remaster (and viewed the process) of Into The Pandemonium (as well as a few portions of To Mega Therion). We all know how monumental the album was and how influential it became. Unfortunately, it suffered from a highly flawed recording which caused many elements to be buried.

Tom and Victor worked into the middle of the night to bring more separation to instrumentation, as well as bring up the bottom end a bit. Numerous other flaws over the entire album were painstakingly corrected. The overall result is that the 2016 Into the Pandemonium audio is significantly improved without changing the feel of the album and while being respectful to it as a historical documentation. Fans will be able to instantly identify with it and any elements they may now hear that were buried on the previous versions.

There were numerous moments where the differences were apparent, even without a side-by-side comparison. Most certainly, Reed St. Mark fans will be VERY happy with what they hear."

Not sure how to feel about this.

Last edited by Heretic Death Call on Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total
haterofhumans

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nosferatu wrote:
if it ain't broke...

... Re master it and sell
More copies Laughing
holy ghost

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, that description of the remaster job sounds awful. Yet another apocalyptic fuck up. Really glad I have the original presses of the early stuff.

Tom Warrior is like the Glenn Danzig of black metal...
Morbid Obesity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh hell! Rolling Eyes
WindsOfApocalypse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm slightly interested in the To Mega Therion remaster as the original's sound was never ideal to my ears. If it turns out shitty, which is a high chance, I'll just ignore it as always, not an issue.

Into The Pandemonium is horrible to begin with, no remastering will make that material listenable.
throneofmight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to this Cool
hellmask

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
Ugh, that description of the remaster job sounds awful. Yet another apocalyptic fuck up. Really glad I have the original presses of the early stuff.

I agree that there's no need to do any remastering of the classic Frost stuff...sounds fine as is, and always has. I'm sure I'll give the new versions a listen just because it's Celtic Frost, but it does seem unnecessary.

But...what does Glenn Danzig have to do with anything? He doesn't release 10 versions of every album and constantly remaster and reissue his records. In fact, much of his back catalog is long out of print and he's made a very conscious effort to not live off of his past.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellmask wrote:
holy ghost wrote:

I agree that there's no need to do any remastering of the classic Frost stuff...sounds fine as is, and always has. I'm sure I'll give the new versions a listen just because it's Celtic Frost, but it does seem unnecessary.

But...what does Glenn Danzig have to do with anything? He doesn't release 10 versions of every album and constantly remaster and reissue his records. In fact, much of his back catalog is long out of print and he's made a very conscious effort to not live off of his past.

He's been accused of going in and re-recorded different parts, mixes, IIRC the collection I and II are very different than the stuff originally sounded (I can't be too specific since I sold those collection lps log ago and kept the bootleg 7"s and compilation lps. If I'm wrong that's on me - but those records are not like the originals sounded, and he always had someone to blame for why they never sounded the way he wanted them too....
hellmask

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:

He's been accused of going in and re-recorded different parts, mixes, IIRC the collection I and II are very different than the stuff originally sounded (I can't be too specific since I sold those collection lps log ago and kept the bootleg 7"s and compilation lps. If I'm wrong that's on me - but those records are not like the originals sounded, and he always had someone to blame for why they never sounded the way he wanted them too....

Oh, OK - now I see what you mean.

Most of the stuff on Collection I and II are outtakes and different versions of tracks from the original 7"s, so I would say that's a bit different than changing music on a well-established LP the way, say, Ozzy did with the first two records (completely re-recording drum and bass). Most of those Misfits songs weren't available to the public before Collection I and II were released, other than on 10th generation tapes and, of course, the originals if you were lucky enough to own them. Now, if GD changed the music on a Walk Among Us reissue, that would be a very different story...
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
hellmask wrote:
holy ghost wrote:

I'm still not understanding the comparison.

Fischer last remastered these records in '99 and hasn't been involved in any release since he left Celtic Frost in 2008. It's widely known that he has disclaimed all income from the band, so he's not going to receive any royalties from this.

I'm not getting it.

WindsOfApocalypse wrote:
I'm assuming wherever you pulled these from, some information or the other was given. What are we looking at here exactly, Morbid Tales/To Mega Therion era remasters or some uninteresting shit?

If I'm not mistaken, Morbid Tales, To Mega Therion, Into the Pandemonium, and Vanity/Nemesis are all getting remastered and re-released. There are hints that the corresponding tracks from Parched with Thirst will be included and, perhaps, tracks not previously heard. I had thought everything from the vault had already been released, so I'm not clear on this last point.
TEKWRX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that Collection I & II, along with Legacy Of Brutality were totally re-recorded/overdubbed by Glenn & Eerie around '85-86. Something to do with royalties I'm sure. I was shocked at how different those songs sounded when I got a cassette mix with the original versions on it as played by Bobby Steele, Jerry, & Doyle.

Glenn allegedly did the same thing with the Lost Track record. Lots of overdubs. That's a shame, because I was really looking forward to hearing new material as played by the classic Danzig lineup, but I guess that's not quite what we got.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: