P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Favorite Sodom Era?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's your favorite Sodom era?
Filthy Beginnings... (1981-1986)
68%
 68%  [ 65 ]
On Top of the World (1987-1992)
30%
 30%  [ 29 ]
Experimental (1994-1997)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Return to Form (1999-2006)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
A Touch of Melody... (2010-Present)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 95

Forces of Steel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Favorite Sodom Era? Reply with quote

Which one do you prefer, and why?

Sodom is one of the few old thrash metal bands that I think still has it in them to craft more enjoyable albums that few others can keep up with. With that said, despite never selling out, they've always had a diverse sound throughout their current discography.

The early days are the most interesting. I'm not surprised that it's going to take the majority of the votes, and even I will vote for it. Sodom had the dangerous look and sound, and those early demos up to and including Obsessed by Cruelty laid out the blueprints for subsequent black metal and death metal bands to follow. The sloppiness of Chris Witchhunter's drumming only added to the atmosphere, and Tom Angelripper put a lot of power into his growls. Later on, however, he'd adopt more of a screaming style of vocals, much like Tom Araya, albeit with more vigor to his rasps. It's a very filthy beginning, but the band would go on to do only so much more over the years.

Persecution Mania is probably my favorite Sodom album, but it was honestly the very last piece of evidence of a legitimate black metal release by the band. A few of the songs are even re-recordings of their demo days, which doesn't surprise me. Agent Orange continued further into the pure thrash metal path, and it's highly regarded as their best. That continued on Better off Dead, although they really stepped it up on Tapping the Vein with the death metal flavor. It doesn't surprise me that it was released in 1992, a year in which thrash metal was pretty much out of the scene. Sodom proved that they weren't stuck on just one sound. That leads me to...

...the experimental releases. I think the albums released around the punk era tend to be considered the band's worst, but I actually like them quite a bit. Get What You Deserve returns the garage-like vibes of the early days, albeit with more punk vibes than black metal. It's no secret that Angelripper has always been a huge Motörhead fan, and it shows. Now, Masquerade in Blood is a mixed bag. I don't think it's a terrible album, but it doesn't grab me all that much, and the production itself is quite unfavorable. They solidified their return to the pure thrash metal style on the next album, but they would do even better a few years later.

Come 1999, and Code Red is released. I don't know what its initial reception was like, but judging by the intensity provided, I'd wager that they earned many of their core fans back. They rode the 1990s as a thrash metal band, but they never let themselves go to the point of becoming a nu metal band or the like. M-16 draws parallels to Agent Orange, in that it's based once more on Vietnam. It's a bit groovier than Code Red, but a lot of the songs off it could easily compare to many of the mid-period material. The self-titled album is also pretty good.

By 2010 or so, it seems like Sodom had been implementing more melodic touches to their music. I certainly noticed hints of that on In War and Pieces, but they made it even more apparent on Epitome of Torture. Both good albums, but far from the first albums that come to mind upon the thought of Sodom as a whole. They teased us with a new song in 2014, which seems to be taking a step back into the Persecution Mania days. It'd be nice to have more of that atmosphere back.

I could go on and on about the band, but I've said more than enough.
lifeless

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Sodom Era? Reply with quote

Forces of Steel wrote:
I think the albums released around the punk era

what?
Tollwut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"In The Sign Of Evil" and "Obsessed By Cruelty" is cult stuff I never get tired of. However, "Better Off Dead" must be one of my all-time favourite Metal albums, and "Tapping The Vein" is a masterpiece of intense brutal Thrash. I didn´t follow them anymore after "Get What You Deserve" though. But "Get What You Deserve" is still a great album. Pure relentless thrashing and I agree on the subtle Punk and Motörhead vibe...
speedevilucifer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any black/death/thrash fan here who prefer anything else except their first golden period?
Holocaust

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destruction
morbiddeceiver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedevilucifer wrote:
Is there any black/death/thrash fan here who prefer anything else except their first golden period?

Pretty much gave up them after Expurse of Sodomy. Couple albums after EOS are good but I can do without.
Most of those bands lost it for me after their first couple records (Kreator,Destruction are prime examples)
DEADLIFT

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the sign of evil+Expurse of sodomy
NecrosD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early period is probably the best for me atm though there 2nd period is pretty killer and Persecution Mania will always remain my fav album of theres.
Morbid Obesity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Blackfire joined.
Snark Shark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persecution Mania/Agent Orange!!!! But they've never done an album that sucked! BEST GERMAN THRASH BAND EVER!!! Very Happy

Great cover art, too!
Speerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Sodom Era? Reply with quote

lifeless wrote:
Forces of Steel wrote:
I think the albums released around the punk era

what?

Um yeah. A little clarification please.

Agent Orange was my era, and I never heard the earlier stuff til much later, so I'm going with that. Same with Kreator and Extreme Aggression.
Tireheb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumb poll. Basically everything with Witchhunter goes fine for me.
I have this record and can someone tell me what it sounds like, please.

"You can't hide the hook!"
DFP

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tireheb wrote:

Yes, but without this one:

Snark Shark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DFP wrote:
Tireheb wrote:

Yes, but without this one:

I'm probably the only one, but I even enjoyed THAT CD! Very Happy
Poison Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything up to and including "Persecution Mania". Incredible band.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: