P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Thoughts regarding Bandcamp
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rthdx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vorfeed wrote:
I suspect that the remaining days of physical releases are numbered, anyway... especially vinyl, which is becoming prohibitively expensive to ship. Many other genres have already moved to digital as a primary distribution method, and I doubt metal will be all that far behind.

Really doubt that physical formats will decease anytime soon, at least all collectors should die as well from a sort of selective bacteriological weapon... Smile It's more like that labels will finally won't print more copies than they are actually able to sell and stop releasing garbage, which is not anything bad, really... Anyone releasing Art with some hidden thought of getting income or even returning the production costs belongs to rooster corner anyway, so if such sort of dealers will get bankrupt due to modern realities it's nothing bad as well. Wink Ppl just probably forgot that underground was always moved by the fanatics, not businessmen, and this is a serious argument in the debates about the future of musick in material form...
bigcartel
youtube
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone think that paying 2 or 3 dollars for an album is being a dick? Is it insulting to the artist or better just to get it for free?
Mauldin of the Well is giving out their latest full length for free. It was financed by donations from fans. It's a really interesting situation. For instance, one would think that a musician/band may have a nice setup that they rarely upgrade so it really doesn't cost them anything to make their music, aside from time and if they love what they do then the time spent is irrelevant. These ideas may be total bullshit, but this is a very interesting topic.
vorfeed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rthdx wrote:
Ppl just probably forgot that underground was always moved by the fanatics, not businessmen, and this is a serious argument in the debates about the future of musick in material form...

Certainly, but the question of what "fanatics" do and don't release and/or buy has changed over time and will continue to change. That's a simple fact which should be obvious to anyone attempting to spread music, "businessman" or not. The metal scene has not always lived or died by die-hard vinyl limited to 7" (pressed from digital files, no less), and pretending as if it has is very short-sighted.

To give an obvious example: tape trading had as much or more to do with how metal developed than official physical releases ever did, and I don't think a similar renaissance of underground digital distribution is all that unlikely. There'll always be plenty for collectors to collect -- that side of things is NOT limited to a piece of plastic with the latest music on it.
rthdx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heliogabalus wrote:
Does anyone think that paying 2 or 3 dollars for an album is being a dick? Is it insulting to the artist or better just to get it for free?

I think it depends on the size of the fanbase. If I remember right Radiohead released an album as a free download with an option of making donations and as the result earned more than ever got from what they released via labels... Wink
bigcartel
youtube
rthdx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vorfeed wrote:
should be obvious to anyone attempting to spread music

I don't think it's actually a problem to spread music in the age of broadband internet, this process is just going on itself, and it's ridiculous to waste time and forces to try getting control over that... Wink "Attempting to sell" is a bit different thing, there are certain ways to move on with it even these days, but all of them are quite similar to selling your arse on the road, which can be hardly accepted by anyone "normal"... Laughing
bigcartel
youtube
ADB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heliogabalus wrote:

Under most record contracts, 2 or 3 dollars to the artist per CD sold is actually pretty good.

I don't think physical formats are going to die out, if anything they complement each other. I have my mp3's taking over my CDs for convenience and I have my vinyl taking over my CDs for quality
vorfeed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rthdx wrote:
vorfeed wrote:
should be obvious to anyone attempting to spread music

I don't think it's actually a problem to spread music in the age of broadband internet, this process is just going on itself, and it's ridiculous to waste time and forces to try getting control over that... Wink

Says someone with links to bandcamp, youtube, and an online store in his forum signature... Wink
rthdx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vorfeed wrote:
Says someone with links to bandcamp, youtube, and an online store in his forum signature... Wink

Don't see any controversy, man. Wink You're not obliged nor forced to click on that links (try youtube though, it's absolutely free and even don't have "advertising" option activated to annoy you while watching some Mare full live set, for example). There is a difference between reasonable promotion and prostitution. Cool
bigcartel
youtube
Shiru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heliogabalus wrote:
Does anyone think that paying 2 or 3 dollars for an album is being a dick?

definitely not
the wizard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like bandcamp, easy & useful, in my case, http://pervitin.bandcamp.com/ when i first uploaded music there i didn't enable the download option because the "set a price up" stuff was weird to me as i never pay for music online and never will, and didn't even consider that people'd pay for the thing i do, so problem solved .
If one day , i'm satisfied with the stuff i come with i'll pay myself a real physical demo be it a cd-r or a tape and then i'll set up a price .
So i appreciate this tool, i make my shit, i upload it, so people who want to listen to it have this possibility. Interesting nah ?

PS: New track coming soon... Cool
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vorfeed wrote:
I like paid and pay-your-own-price downloads, and I will gladly give the band a couple bucks for properly tagged, high-quality files rather than downloading whatever's on filestube. To give a few examples, the Sinistrous Diabolus and Ra Al Dee Experience stuff was more than worth $5 to me.

I suspect that the remaining days of physical releases are numbered, anyway... especially vinyl, which is becoming prohibitively expensive to ship. Many other genres have already moved to digital as a primary distribution method, and I doubt metal will be all that far behind.

yes that is inevitable. Fortunately theres enough physical music in the world ill never run out. If we hit a day where physical media dies out completely, ill simply get all the missing pieces that do exist physically and stop checking out new music if i have to resort to only digital files.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: