P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Thoughts regarding Bandcamp
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i guess it is great tool... though i never pay for mp3s...
or at least i think great way to spread music with good quality ...
and beside that there is soundcloud..
but i think soundcloud is better for spreading singletracks, and bandcamp for albums
Carlzilla

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barghest wrote:
Carlzilla wrote:
I will almost NEVER pay for mp3s. It has happened once or twice, but it's super rare.

I just feel shafted paying for something that can be infinitely replicated for no cost, and offers no physical product.

I see your point, but I don't mind paying something if I really like the music and feel the artist/label deserves some support, although I'll pay proportionately less than I'd pay for a physical format - and only if no physical format is available. I think I've only encountered that that situation once though.

Yeah the few things I have purchased have been in that exact situation, I wanted to support, there was no physical format available at the time (and none planned at that point, though the 2nd Von Goat did eventually come out on CD) and I just broke down and paid the 5 bucks or whatever.

This is extremely rare though.

And now we have fags complaining about other fags. A "fagoboros" if you will.

http://www.last.fm/user/carlzilla
ADB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyrone Slothrop wrote:
ADB wrote:
I think Bandcamp is great, I'm putting all my stuff on there that isn't part of some other band / project there at the moment. The "name your price thing" is cool too, I don't mind if people are going to download my stuff for free but if they feel like flinging me a few bucks that doesn't bother me either!

Slightly on topic, I just uploaded a new track that some of you might be into (if you like your drone and / or neo-classical stuff).

Voidchrist Bandcamp

The song title made me chuckle a little.

Cheers, seems like everyone likes the song title Wink
Saevus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing that I have experienced with Bandcamp is buying a CD through there and getting a free download along with the purchase. A lot of my friends pay for downloads for the accessibility and instant gratification, and I argue that it's better to get a physical copy for several reasons, but this is the best of both worlds.

I'd argue that there are more people than you'd expect paying a lot of money for music files, but I guess people downloading games and software that they want to support are more apt to give more money.
nonwave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like to pay good artists for the sake of them getting support. because ARTISTS NEED AND DESERVE SUPPORT, not your petty spite and resentment over a few fucking measley dollars.

i don't give a fuck what their mp3s are "worth" - i'm paying out of fucking decency and goodwill towards the artist, not basing it on the non-value of the goddamn container. if you're going to go by that logic, you shouldn't be paying more than 2 dollars for a cd or 3-5 bucks for an lp because that's what they cost to make.

when you pay for recorded music in any format, you're paying for the privilege to own the music contained in it. it's a privilege, not your right as a spoiled young american with the internet
ADB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Spot on ^
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while i agree with the stance to pay for the support the artists, i personally would not buy digital files. If ever comes a time where physical formats cease to exist in this lifetime i'll probably just stick to streaming rather than pay to own a download.

Have a bandcamp page for the powerviolence band i'm part of (link is in signature if this interests you), the pay what you want works, but like someone else posted i don't expect people to pay anything.

otherwise the best resource ive found for uploading digital files for streaming downloading and great promotion tool. a lot cleaner than myspace was too.
Worthless Joke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlzilla wrote:
I will almost NEVER pay for mp3s. It has happened once or twice, but it's super rare.

I just feel shafted paying for something that can be infinitely replicated for no cost, and offers no physical product.

1. The main reason we pay for many physical objects is because of the idea behind, which can be copied infinitely. I don't buy a pill because of it's shape of material, but because of the medical science behind it. I don't buy a record for the plastic and paper, but for the music on it (though I know I might be in the minority on this page on this one).

2. Even if there are no costs in creating one extra digital album, there are always fixed costs in creating the album overall: Studio bill, artwork, equipment, rehearsal room rent, transportation. So no matter how many copies you make - not infinte of course - but one for every person on the earth, there is still gonna be a small cost to creating each and every one of those. And if you - one of the very, very few of these people who could possibly be interested in a small niche band - will pay nothing, you can guess at how many times they can actually sell these mp3s.

3. It's fair enough to pay nothing for the download. The artist asked you to name you price - probably out of desperation, but still - so it's fair so say zero. I would never do it myself though. Doesn't make sense to me. You're asked to name your price, and if you put 0, then that's like saying the music has no worth to you; ie. you're willing to pay nothing for it. In my opinion it just doesn't make sense to download something that's worthless to me.
In Solitude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlzilla wrote:

rthdx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlzilla wrote:

Especially in the days when you can fund a simple CD-release merely by gathering empty beer-cans in the street... Smile
bigcartel
youtube
Carlzilla

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worthless Joke wrote:
Carlzilla wrote:

1. The main reason we pay for many physical objects is because of the idea behind, which can be copied infinitely. I don't buy a pill because of it's shape of material, but because of the medical science behind it. I don't buy a record for the plastic and paper, but for the music on it (though I know I might be in the minority on this page on this one).

2. Even if there are no costs in creating one extra digital album, there are always fixed costs in creating the album overall: Studio bill, artwork, equipment, rehearsal room rent, transportation. So no matter how many copies you make - not infinte of course - but one for every person on the earth, there is still gonna be a small cost to creating each and every one of those. And if you - one of the very, very few of these people who could possibly be interested in a small niche band - will pay nothing, you can guess at how many times they can actually sell these mp3s.

3. It's fair enough to pay nothing for the download. The artist asked you to name you price - probably out of desperation, but still - so it's fair so say zero. I would never do it myself though. Doesn't make sense to me. You're asked to name your price, and if you put 0, then that's like saying the music has no worth to you; ie. you're willing to pay nothing for it. In my opinion it just doesn't make sense to download something that's worthless to me.

I certainly understand all that, which is why I said "I feel shafted..." It's just a personal hangup I have about buying anything digitally, be it movies, music, or video games. I can't get past not having a physical product, and the fact that what I'm paying for is infinitely reproducible. The combination of those things make me feel like I'm being ripped off. If it's not that way for you, by all means, buy the digital stuff. I'm not against the digital distribution business model as long as it's mostly optional and isn't seen as a replacement for physical products.

If I'm interested in something, I'll buy the CD/LP/etc. and if it doesn't exist in that format I will buy the MP3s, but the frequency of something existing in a digital format without having any physical release or any plans for an upcoming physical release are super rare...hence my statement that I almost never do it.

Carlzilla

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rthdx wrote:
Carlzilla wrote:

Especially in the days when you can fund a simple CD-release merely by gathering empty beer-cans in the street... Smile

You live in a cluttered neighborhood. Haha.

rthdx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlzilla wrote:
You live in a cluttered neighborhood. Haha.

Well, pressing 500 (and any amount less) of the finest quality CDs in Russia is ~150 Euro. This information is from open sources and not a secret from anyone interested. Prices for most simple jewel-case printed parts for the same amount are 100-150 Euro max (if you are not an idiot, which is fortunately rare). I don't think any conclusions needed as well as an explanation why I stopped releasing jewel-cased editions since made a critical decision to get a job... Smile
bigcartel
youtube
vorfeed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like paid and pay-your-own-price downloads, and I will gladly give the band a couple bucks for properly tagged, high-quality files rather than downloading whatever's on filestube. To give a few examples, the Sinistrous Diabolus and Ra Al Dee Experience stuff was more than worth $5 to me.

I suspect that the remaining days of physical releases are numbered, anyway... especially vinyl, which is becoming prohibitively expensive to ship. Many other genres have already moved to digital as a primary distribution method, and I doubt metal will be all that far behind.
Worthless Joke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlzilla wrote:
Worthless Joke wrote:
Carlzilla wrote:

I certainly understand all that, which is why I said "I feel shafted..." It's just a personal hangup I have about buying anything digitally, be it movies, music, or video games. I can't get past not having a physical product, and the fact that what I'm paying for is infinitely reproducible. The combination of those things make me feel like I'm being ripped off. If it's not that way for you, by all means, buy the digital stuff. I'm not against the digital distribution business model as long as it's mostly optional and isn't seen as a replacement for physical products.

If I'm interested in something, I'll buy the CD/LP/etc. and if it doesn't exist in that format I will buy the MP3s, but the frequency of something existing in a digital format without having any physical release or any plans for an upcoming physical release are super rare...hence my statement that I almost never do it.

Of course, I understand downloading the MP3s without paying if you've already bought the physical album. That's just like ripping a CD to MP3.

Actually I also prefer physical media. But sometimes, if it's not available, or if I want only one song, or want it right this second, I buy digital.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: