P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Thoughts regarding Bandcamp
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Thoughts regarding Bandcamp Reply with quote

What are some opinions regarding the "name your price" option? I download demos that are specified as free, but what some opinions on what you should pay, do you pay nothing, do you pay and if you dig it, buy the physical copy etc.? Does it suck all together? Discuss...
Dalen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pay nothing. I'll always prefer to pay something extra for a physical format. CDs are much cheaper these days after all, so it's not like I would have to pay a lot more for them.
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalen wrote:
I pay nothing. I'll always prefer to pay something extra for a physical format. CDs are much cheaper these days after all, so it's not like I would have to pay a lot more for them.

I tend to lean that way and then if it's something that is exceptional, I'll purchase the physical copy as most of these bands have stuff on Vinyl anyway.
Fallen_Empire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who runs a Bandcamp, here are my thoughts and observations:

- Overall, great tool
- 95% (maybe more) of people do $0.00 when you list something as 'Name your price'
- The average payment when someone sends money is $2.xx, forget the exact #
- The people who pay WANT to pay. There are some people who send some dollars for digital downloads, but don't ever buy vinyl or cassette

Originally I had everything set to 'Free download', but I kept running out of credits so I just changed it to 'Name your price' as a way of hopefully lowering the # of downloads. Eventually it became obvious that I would have to spend some money and buy download credits so that people can keep downloading for free without problems, so I spent $20 on them. Still have a lot left and this was months ago.
Dalen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with vinyl is the overall distribution thing. I usually place big orders overseas, because thanks to the currency it doesn't get that expensive grabbing a few goodies from the US. But placing separate orders for single lps, ok, it gets just a bit too much. Bandcamp is not the best choice for me when it comes to that issue.
rthdx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather cool place to put your stuff streaming. Why? They allow to disable the social networks buttons, like if you'd "like" and so... Would never use this service for sellings as would never pay a single cent for the download myself... Shortly, useful way to represent your music. If you upload original trax in wav, their coding is very much representing what you're trying to deliver. Wink
bigcartel
youtube
Evil Fifi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts regarding Bandcamp Reply with quote

Heliogabalus wrote:
What are some opinions regarding the "name your price" option? I download demos that are specified as free, but what some opinions on what you should pay, do you pay nothing, do you pay and if you dig it, buy the physical copy etc.? Does it suck all together? Discuss...

- In support of bandcamp.
- If I download I always pay, usually making the amount dependent on availability and price of physical format (always less in this case) and if I intend to buy the physical format as well.
nonwave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like it a lot. i usually put a cheap price, like, 3 bucks and have the option that people can pay more. some people pay more and i appreciate that.

http://weaselwalter.bandcamp.com/

i don't like the front page layout - it's pretty inflexible - but that's really my only minor quibble with bandcamp

Last edited by nonwave on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
robotdie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually don't pay, and as someone who has a bandcamp I put up the 'pay what you want' option not really expecting anything from it. Downloads/streams are good exposure, buying physical copies are for fans.

Also the stats part of bandcamp is a really cool feature. I'm sure the bigger you/your bandcamp gets this becomes really huge.
K_S Imprecator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its great.Easy to manage and far superior to the likes of reverbnation.I usually put stuff i'm not really expecting to be on physical format,so its kinda like an archive.Hence everything being free/ name your price.Always a good surprise when some $ comes through though.
nomapple

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a user I like being able to stream part of, or all of a release before I make a purchase. Also paying for a download can be a convenient way of supporting the artist if getting physical media shipped from their location is expensive.
ADB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Bandcamp is great, I'm putting all my stuff on there that isn't part of some other band / project there at the moment. The "name your price thing" is cool too, I don't mind if people are going to download my stuff for free but if they feel like flinging me a few bucks that doesn't bother me either!

Slightly on topic, I just uploaded a new track that some of you might be into (if you like your drone and / or neo-classical stuff).

Voidchrist Bandcamp
Carlzilla

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will almost NEVER pay for mp3s. It has happened once or twice, but it's super rare.

I just feel shafted paying for something that can be infinitely replicated for no cost, and offers no physical product.

And now we have fags complaining about other fags. A "fagoboros" if you will.

http://www.last.fm/user/carlzilla
Tyrone Slothrop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADB wrote:
I think Bandcamp is great, I'm putting all my stuff on there that isn't part of some other band / project there at the moment. The "name your price thing" is cool too, I don't mind if people are going to download my stuff for free but if they feel like flinging me a few bucks that doesn't bother me either!

Slightly on topic, I just uploaded a new track that some of you might be into (if you like your drone and / or neo-classical stuff).

Voidchrist Bandcamp

The song title made me chuckle a little.
Barghest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlzilla wrote:
I will almost NEVER pay for mp3s. It has happened once or twice, but it's super rare.

I just feel shafted paying for something that can be infinitely replicated for no cost, and offers no physical product.

I see your point, but I don't mind paying something if I really like the music and feel the artist/label deserves some support, although I'll pay proportionately less than I'd pay for a physical format - and only if no physical format is available. I think I've only encountered that that situation once though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: