P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Jazz/Blues Recommendations
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Jazz/Blues Recommendations Reply with quote

Pretty ignorant of this genre aside from maybe the likes of Miles Davis, Bohren & Der Club of Gore, John Coltrane, Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble are names I am familiar with, but if anyone wants to point me to different musicians within this field, that would be grand. It can be anything from Free Jazz, Nu Jazz, Cool Jazz - whatever sub category.

Very much look forward to your input.
bMz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Mahavishnu Orchestra...more guitar oriented stuff...I gues it goes under fusion jazz thought? Their lp's are quite easily to obtain for just a few euros/dollars.

edit: Anyways, Rateyourmusic is pretty safe bet / way to go.
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah cheers. Have heard about Mahavishnu Orchestra, so they're on the list already.
Wolfram

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Holland, this old bat:

And some modern metrosexual jazz:

Astaroth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a big world which I don't know so well, but for me some notables are:

free and intense: The Peter Brotzmann Octet - Machine Gun (Full Album)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wgA9L5TN5M

mellow: from Don Cherry - Brown Rice (a huge favourite of mine...mellow, kinda dark and beautiful): Brown Rice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls1ddrT7HPc

other notable names: Ornette Coleman, Sun Ra (Space Is The Place is great!), Albert Ayler...

and of course there is a whole world of newer more experimental stuff (isn't this what jazz should be?) up in Norway (and beyond) thanks to the likes of the Rune Grammofon label, especially (for me) Supersilent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OQMB7TU-28 (mellow)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6-PlpmFc-c (maybe noisier that what you wanted)

Blues....not my bag, though Townes Van Zandt tickles my fancy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTGKzWDakK8 (probably known and not my favourite version of this song, but pretty powerful)
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty wide range of requests here - the world of jazz is as daunting as heavy metal with it's sub-genres, eras and variations.

I think delving into it through Miles Davis is a really good idea - he was a pioneer in so many different eras through jazz and you might develop a better idea of where your interests lie. Personally I'm a huge fan of his later Prestige albums (Workin', Cookin, Steamin' especially), some of his early Columbia output (Midnight, Milestones, Seven Steps etc), his second great quintet era (ESP, Miles Smiles, Sorcerer, Nefertiti, etc), his fusion era: In A Silent Way (one of my favorite pieces of music ever), Bitches Brew, Jack Johnson, On The Corner, Big Fun & Get Up With It, all classics.

And the live stuff!! Miles In Tokyo/Europe/Berlin are all great, Four & More/My Funny Valentine, Live At The Plugged Nickel plus all the fusion stuff.... this will take you through a ton of eras of jazz and you can branch out through where you want to go.

Coltrane had so many eras to investigate as well, but I particularly suggest his freer stuff with Rashied Ali and Alice Coltrane - Live in Japan 4 disc set, At The Village Vanguard Again, Interstellar Space (amazing), Ascension (unreal) and a bunch of others. Alice Coltrane's stuff is amazing too. I think I like her music more than her husbands.

I have to go walk the dog now but I'll add more later - Ayler, Sun Ra, Monk, Rivers, Roscoe Mitchell, Brotzmann, Coleman, Cherry, The Pyramids.....
Piotr Sargnagel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Armstrong and Nina Simone. My jazz tastes are not wide-ranging at all but I do enjoy Weather Report from time to time. I remember I enjoyed this documentary about a blues record collector. Some of the songs on this are amazing: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375702/
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
I have to go walk the dog now but I'll add more later - Ayler, Sun Ra, Monk, Rivers, Roscoe Mitchell, Brotzmann, Coleman, Cherry, The Pyramids.....

I think if one were to investigate the freer end of jazz you would do well with these as starting points, but there's tons of stuff I'm omitting, or haven't heard yet:

Cecil Taylor's Unit Structures, Conquistador, Nefertiti, Cecil Taylor Unit (1978), 3 Phasis, Jazz Advance (early stuff, not as free but definitely really amazing), but he's got a huge discography. I've still got lots of stuff to investigate.

Ornette Coleman's Shape of Jazz To Come, Free Jazz, Ornette!, Ornette on Tenor, Town Hall 1962, At The Golden Circle Vol. 1 & 2 for starters but there's lots of stuff worth investigating. I saw him a couple years ago and he was awesome at like 82 years old.

Don Cherry had some amazing records. Orient, Mu, Brown Rice & Blue Lake are my favorites. I like his world fusion stuff more than his early free stuff. I also like CODONA a lot too.

As far as Albert Ayler, I think the Spiritual Unity and Greenwich Village are his best, but I love almost everything he's done. I bought his 9 disc box set and I'm consistently blown away by that, especially his sessions with Cecil Taylor. I really like The Hilversum session and Prophecy too.

Anthony Braxton's For Alto is totally essential. My brother is a fucking jazz fiend and had bugged me forever to check this out even before I got into jazz, and when I did I was thrilled. Solo sax improvisations for 80 minutes? It's better than it sounds. I have bought a ton of his albums but it's the Arista years in the 70's that really fucked me up. There's a box set of this stuff that was really pricey but well worth it: http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=242-MD-CD. Everything on these records is incredible.

Dave Holland's Conference of the Birds features Braxton and Sam Rivers. Amazing record.

Roscoe Mitchell is one I've really grown to appreciate - his Sound album, plus Old/Quartet & Congliptious are really ones I like a lot. I'm 50/50 with the Art Ensemble of Chicago, but this stuff really kills for me. His 2004 album Composition/Improvisation Nos. 1, 2 & 3 with Evan Parker is amazing, one of my favorites in the past few years of any genre.

Sam Rivers has a ton of work, I'm very partial to Crystals, Dimensions & Extensions, Paragon & Waves.

Derek Bailey, Evan Parker and Han Bennink's Topography of the Lungs is really out there. One of those records I'm still trying to figure out after 30+ listens.

Peter Brotzmann's Macine Gun is great, and I'm partial to For Adolphe Sax, Nipples/More Nipples, Balls, Pica Pica, The Fat Is Gone, but there's a lot of his discography I don't have Razz

I really like The Thing too, from Norway.

I feel like I need a nap after all this.....
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of can't forget Bill Dixon and Noah Howard too.....
obm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^

fucking hell...I'm just going to copy that lot and go through it at leisure...nice
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great, cheers.

Finding I also like the bebop variety (or at least Coleman Hawkins) - probably 'cause I like Raymond Chandler novels and recently have taken an interest in hard boiled crime fiction.

I have to admit I've only thought to try giving jazz a go after nonwave mentioning a few artists in his monologue on the Twilight/Thurston Moore thread and was impressed with the jazz artists mentioned. That and I was already aware of Bohren & Der Club of Gore, who have a really nice Lynchian atmosphere, so figured I'd like to look further into it.
SoundsOfDecay

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph Towner - Solstice

insane, featuring Jan Garbarek on sax
TuomasK

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clifford Brown - A Study in Brown
DemonWitchChild

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Coltrane : Live in Japan 4CD.

Anything by Thelonious Monk, but particularly his Columbia work during the 1960s.

Charles Mingus (b). Probably one of the best bassist/composers in 20th century music.

Jack DeJohnette (d). Worked extensively with Pat Metheny and early in his career with Miles Davis. His album "Oneness" (ECM records) is amazing.

Actually, it's hard to go wrong with anything on ECM.

If you start getting into stripped-down, modal jazz, you'll find that Windham Hill Records (known for "new age jazz", whatever...) had a great roster of talent in the 1970s and early 1980s, and their recordings are amazing (sonically).

*Oh yeah: Anthony Braxton. Sombody else posted above, but "For Alto" is an album not to be missed...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: