P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Death metal: more Christian than Christians?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Death metal: more Christian than Christians? Reply with quote

The counter-culture of metal begins as a reaction against secular leftism disguised as Christianity. The leftist version of Christianity being fundamentally anti-Christian and inverted, the follower of metal is rejecting the inversion and thus rejecting the lies.

Death metal does not necessarily lead to a greater pursuit of truth or goodness, but it may be a step in the right direction. Seeing the secular left hide from truth, many Death Metal bands sought to reestablish truth first - that is, in accepting once again the reality of death, misery and suffering that remain fundamental aspects of worldly life.

http://georgegoerlich.blogspot.com/2012/12/death-metal-is-christian.html

And all these years I thought it was about Satan, death, sodomy, disease, warfare, genocide and dismemberment.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was about riffs....
Eigenbrötler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've actually heard and seen this argument before. Not this guys blog, but it doesn't surprise me at all. Rumor around Fresno was that Artery Eruption were really into jesus.
Gruwel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
I thought it was about riffs....
Werewolf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only genuinely anti-christian thing still existing today is vinyl.

Regressive Rape MetalPunk: WWW.HEINOUS.BANDCAMP.COM
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was about the music maaaaan...

Anyway, what I have read in the opening post sounds like a load of pretentious, over intellectualized bollocks. I guess that is fairly typical of the likes of Conservationist though.
cochino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are a lot of assumptions pulled out from nowhere. I like how that kind of people oversimplify everything in order to make it fit in their twisted and unnecessarily complicated world views.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this was written by a person over the age of 15, they should be embarrassed.
Steken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
frank_zito

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthplague

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have swore that death metal was heavy music played predominantly by people into metal, horror movies, and dark humor, but I guess I was wrong. Turns out it's played by a bunch of dolts who just came out of their 2nd attempt in an Introduction to Philosophy 101 class.
dalecooper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That blog post is the biggest bunch of pretentious, meaningless, psuedo-philosophical malarkey I've read in ages. Between the axiomatic assumptions (that are presumed to be true but in actuality make little to no sense) and inexplicable leaps in logic, it's basically devoid of merit or meaning.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hidden Truth
It is such in our society that most answers broadcast publicly are to our detriment and the direct benefit of others. Most people unfortunately accept the most promoted lies as truth, for they come from "authority" and are so commonly stated that they appear true.

The truth must be sought and is not what is given today. What is given is spider's poison, meant to paralyze and provide food. The authority is false and built on lies: it is a matter of mutually reinforcing foolishness. Fools believe so others are fooled - were but a nation to repent it would disappear overnight.

Do not bother exchanging words with liars and fools, they only seek to delay and mislead. To begin seeking you must first ignore the lies and distractions.

I fail to see anything wrong with this
Aszfargoth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have long-since cultivated the belief that death metal often will be an expression of Platonism or Platonic ideas, however vague and simplified (I am not saying hereby that this expression is a conscious effort): to force the listener into the ideational realisation of material existence's ephemerality; to tap into a primary fear of Western society (Nietzsche, if I remember correctly, even argued that this was, in fact, its only fear), namely the decay of the physical body, the finity of "empirical" existence, as it were - a dichotomy introduced by Ernst Jünger in his "Annäherungen" book: Empirical Man and Moral Man, and the turmoils of their perpetual clash which, according to Jünger, define modern age and society. Death metal, one could argue, then urges its audience to become aware of this primary fear, accept it without prejudgment as expressed by commonplaces, deny it as the foundation of one's own relationship to the world, and thus overcome it.

On the topic of death metal's lyrical themes of blood and gore, horror fiction is, I'd say, in general a genre of moralist art (the darkly humorous conveyance of these themes in death metal would also befit, e. g., the principles of satire). Fears create mores out of desire and necessity to avoid the cause of these fears - e. g., all forms of so-called moral decay or threats to life.

In conclusion: as Platonism is inherent to Catholicism, and Catholicism is the bedrock of Western Christianity, it would come as no surprise if, superficially, art which both originates from national cultures informed by Western Christianity and problematises its social, historical and cultural environment in ways somewhat akin to central theologico-philosophical principles of Western Christianity would thus be regarded by some as itself Christian. It's an interesting thought, at least!

However, does all this warrant calling death metal a Christian genre of music and put it in opposition to a perceivedly decadent Western Christianity as witnessed today? In my opinion, this smacks of sophism: it's merely a way to create just another "Us Against Them" fiction as compelling as possible. Oh well, everyone's the stout-hearted patriot of their own values.
crushedinfamy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aszfargoth wrote:
I have long-since cultivated the belief that death metal often will be an expression of Platonism or Platonic ideas, however vague and simplified (I am not saying hereby that this expression is a conscious effort): to force the listener into the ideational realisation of material existence's ephemerality; to tap into a primary fear of Western society (Nietzsche, if I remember correctly, even argued that this was, in fact, its only fear), namely the decay of the physical body, the finity of "empirical" existence, as it were - a dichotomy introduced by Ernst Jünger in his "Annäherungen" book: Empirical Man and Moral Man, and the turmoils of their perpetual clash which, according to Jünger, define modern age and society. Death metal, one could argue, then urges its audience to become aware of this primary fear, accept it without prejudgment as expressed by commonplaces, deny it as the foundation of one's own relationship to the world, and thus overcome it.

On the topic of death metal's lyrical themes of blood and gore, horror fiction is, I'd say, in general a genre of moralist art (the darkly humorous conveyance of these themes in death metal would also befit, e. g., the principles of satire). Fears create mores out of desire and necessity to avoid the cause of these fears - e. g., all forms of so-called moral decay or threats to life.

In conclusion: as Platonism is inherent to Catholicism, and Catholicism is the bedrock of Western Christianity, it would come as no surprise if, superficially, art which both originates from national cultures informed by Western Christianity and problematises its social, historical and cultural environment in ways somewhat akin to central theologico-philosophical principles of Western Christianity would thus be regarded by some as itself Christian. It's an interesting thought, at least!

However, does all this warrant calling death metal a Christian genre of music and put it in opposition to a perceivedly decadent Western Christianity as witnessed today? In my opinion, this smacks of sophism: it's merely a way to create just another "Us Against Them" fiction as compelling as possible. Oh well, everyone's the stout-hearted patriot of their own values.

agreed, well put
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: