P R O D U C T I O N S
 
 FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 
 Profile 
 Log in to check your private messages 
 Log in 

Anathema / Crestfallen-era
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Perverted Necrofucker



Joined: 08 Feb 2011
Posts: 357
Location: Germany Bayreuth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Anathema / Crestfallen-era Reply with quote

I´m totally stuck in this since some days, also very much into "Serenades". I really worshiped these albums back then.

Any recommendations for albums that sound similar ?
_________________
medarov wrote:
After a few minutes of beating the door, I just went back, took some spray and drew swastika on their door. .



GOOD TRADERS : Vandreren , black sun, Kelkum, Gravelander , Division Lycanthrop, goat_lord, Kakarot SS5, S.P.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
scentofdeath



Joined: 14 Aug 2011
Posts: 805

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enchantment - Dance the Marble Naked, maybe
_________________
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Flight-Of-Sleipnir/267879219900772
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Uncolored



Joined: 19 Sep 2008
Posts: 1326
Location: Cagliari/Italy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imindain
_________________
Germaniac wrote:
Caller Of The Storms may be black, but he has an aryan heart.

SatanHussein wrote:
my dream is to organise a funeral doom festival and sell my stockpiles of antidepressants at the merch stand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dan



Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 414
Location: The Silent Planet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celestial Season ("Forever Scarlet Passion" and "Solar Lovers")
Decomposed ("The Funeral Obsession" and "Hope Finally Died...")
Saturnus ("Paradise Belongs To You")
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Perverted Necrofucker



Joined: 08 Feb 2011
Posts: 357
Location: Germany Bayreuth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, i totally forgot about Celestial Season ! Will check the others out tomorrow after work !!! Thanx so far guys !!!
_________________
medarov wrote:
After a few minutes of beating the door, I just went back, took some spray and drew swastika on their door. .



GOOD TRADERS : Vandreren , black sun, Kelkum, Gravelander , Division Lycanthrop, goat_lord, Kakarot SS5, S.P.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nada88pe



Joined: 27 Feb 2011
Posts: 26
Location: Lima - Perú

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello, please try to Fear My Solitude.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cedric



Joined: 09 Apr 2010
Posts: 673
Location: Belgium

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something you might not be familiar with:


Insanity Reigns Supreme - ..and Darkness Drowned the Land Divine


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy63tpqC9oc


Cantar - s/t (this stuff is a little less by the book compared to the above band)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnSlhsjdVkE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Devoured Death



Joined: 04 Mar 2008
Posts: 1924

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncolored wrote:
imindain


I can attest to the fact that Anathema was a huge influence, especially on the second demo and first album. I'd still say though that nothing really sounds like those early Anathema albums, they're totally unique, the only band that came close in my opinion was Before the Rain, they've all the right elements, but to me, it sounds quite cheesy...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brooklyn Bastard 666



Joined: 08 Oct 2009
Posts: 2616
Location: Brooklyn, NY

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Carcass's Jeff Walker, MDB heard Anathema's demo and then decided they needed to go heavier!

Anyway nothing beats early Anathema, truly magic shit.

Why aren't more bands ripping them off??

I'd love to support a new, functioning band that sounded like "crestfallen" "serenades" and "silent enigma".
_________________
We Are Satan's Generation And We Don't Give A Fuck!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
peterott



Joined: 07 Aug 2007
Posts: 4695
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightmare Visions - Suffering From Echoes MCD
_________________
Tradelist + Good Traders:
www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1339
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
crushedinfamy



Joined: 14 Jun 2009
Posts: 125

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooklyn Bastard 666 wrote:
According to Carcass's Jeff Walker, MDB heard Anathema's demo and then decided they needed to go heavier!

Anyway nothing beats early Anathema, truly magic shit.

Why aren't more bands ripping them off??

I'd love to support a new, functioning band that sounded like "crestfallen" "serenades" and "silent enigma".


i agree. i've thought a lot about this myself. early Anathema is pretty inimitable, though. it's just not an easy sound to replicate, mostly because the riffs are so great and Darren White's voice is so distinctive. most bands don't seem to be applying their riffs to death/doom, unfortunately. bands do it, but not with as much heart or acumen as early Anathema. Anhedonist is one band around these days who are clearly influenced by UK death/doom ala early Paradise Lost and Anathema. they do a good job of it. based on what i've heard, Nightmare Visions are a good recommendation. peterott -- do you have a rip of that album?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brooklyn Bastard 666



Joined: 08 Oct 2009
Posts: 2616
Location: Brooklyn, NY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crushedinfamy wrote:
Brooklyn Bastard 666 wrote:
According to Carcass's Jeff Walker, MDB heard Anathema's demo and then decided they needed to go heavier!

Anyway nothing beats early Anathema, truly magic shit.

Why aren't more bands ripping them off??

I'd love to support a new, functioning band that sounded like "crestfallen" "serenades" and "silent enigma".


i agree. i've thought a lot about this myself. early Anathema is pretty inimitable, though. it's just not an easy sound to replicate, mostly because the riffs are so great and Darren White's voice is so distinctive. most bands don't seem to be applying their riffs to death/doom, unfortunately. bands do it, but not with as much heart or acumen as early Anathema. Anhedonist is one band around these days who are clearly influenced by UK death/doom ala early Paradise Lost and Anathema. they do a good job of it. based on what i've heard, Nightmare Visions are a good recommendation. peterott -- do you have a rip of that album?


I'd like to hear Nightmare Visions!!!
_________________
We Are Satan's Generation And We Don't Give A Fuck!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mikk



Joined: 24 Jul 2012
Posts: 112

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no recommendations here but this thread has inspired me to give "serenades" a spin, so thanks!
_________________
Abhorrent Enmity wrote:
I like black metal, I also like other genres of music, I am listening to Death In June right now, and later I will be playing some NON, or maybe some Hank Williams Sr., you wanna know why? Because fuck you, that's why.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
under a funeral shroom



Joined: 29 Oct 2008
Posts: 1562
Location: pgh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to picking up "The Silent Enigma" 2lp.

That Enchantment album mentioned earlier is close musically to early Anathema but those vocals pretty much ruin the entire thing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
peterott



Joined: 07 Aug 2007
Posts: 4695
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have a rip of it. But the first full-length had the MCD as bonus and this CD appears for few bucks every now and then.
_________________
Tradelist + Good Traders:
www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1339
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group