P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Bathory: Viking era.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrkKnight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bathory: Viking era. Reply with quote

Ragingwinter wrote:
Not sure why most fans can't stand the viking metal style that Quorthon took on in the early 90s. Tracks like Valhalla, Shores in Flames, To enter your mountain, Blood and iron, foreverdark woods.. etc are all fantastic pieces.

Any thoughts or do I stand alone on this one?

Because most people are stupid.

Good deals: Travis N., xyosefx, Dark Descent, captainretardo
skeletor666

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morbiddeceiver wrote:
Never gave Bathory viking era a listen to this day. I borrowed Hammerheart from a friend a month ago and still have not listened to it. May get around to it one day.
for fuck sake put it on immediately .

the best viking metal album ever along with the scald album.

epic doesnt even come close to describing it .
DSS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those who followed Bathory from day one (or heard the old albums first then the later albums) don't like the 'viking' Bathory. I've met many people who considered him a 'traitor' because not only he distanced himself from Satanism but also said it was all a joke.

Anyway, the 'viking' Bathory is some of the greatest and most original Metal from that time no questions asked. He never followed any trends just did what he wanted.

I couldn't get into the Nordland albums though.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jameswolfe wrote:
I love both eras. Oddly Im not as big on "Under The Sign" a lot of people. But I can also same the same for "Twilight." For me Twilight is a little too much mid-paced and not enough dynamics. But to your point I think the viking era is just as good as the bm era. My favorite Bathory albums in order:

Blood On Ice
The Return
Hammerheart
Bathory
Under The Sign
Twilight
Octagon

I havent heard the rest

You haven't heard Blood Fire Death? Dude, get on that. One of the best albums ever!

On topic- One Rode To Asa Bay is what I want played at my funeral.
Saltrubbed Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I love the first 2 albums and the 4th album - I also dig Twilight of the Gods almost as much.
Ragingwinter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah everyone was kind of bummed out when the whole satanism thing turned out to be a joke... but if you look at the pics from the early 80's, I'm pretty sure he was taking it serious haha. Just grew out of it I suppose.

This was also around the time he claimed to have never heard Venom or had never drawn any infuence from them whatsoever...... LOL
Tireheb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragingwinter wrote:
This was also around the time he claimed to have never heard Venom or had never drawn any infuence from them whatsoever...... LOL

Despite it does indeed sound strange, it may not be so far from the truth. Anyone who has listened to the pre-debut tracks like Die in Fire, You Don't Move Me I Don't Give a Fuck or the Scandinavian Metal Attack songs, those tracks have very clear punk/Motörhead influence that he has talked about.

Every album up to Twilight + Blood On Ice is top notch album that gets spinned from time to time. Retro-thrash albums (Requiem, Octagon) I can't stand at all. Nordland albums are not bad but never liked the modern production.

"You can't hide the hook!"
mlotek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the Bathory viking era really took off with "Hammerheart" LP, I remember hearing some Bathory fans saying they hated it, Quorthon wimped out, etc, and at the same time, other metal fans who didn't care much for it before, loved Hammerheart , saying it was like Manowar.
...anyways...
ALL BATHORY is good metal.

..and out of curiousity, did anyone ever tell you the logo looked like "Batlord" and not Bathory due to the the old fonts used?
Tireheb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Manowar influence is way more obvious on Blood Fire Death and Twilight of the Gods.

"You can't hide the hook!"
HELLTHRASHER -l-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will worship Twilight of the Gods until the day I die.
Every aspect in that album is flawless. The production, the composition, the vocals, atmosphere, . .just untouchable.

No party music. Only hymns to indulge in.
http://www.freewebs.com/metalstormzine/
S_Slaughter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me almost everything that Bathory has done is gold. Everything from self titled through to Nordland gets frequent plays. Octagon & Requiem aren't great but still have their moments. Everything else is brilliant. I can never decide what is my favourite, it keeps changing. Im a massive fan of Blood on Ice as well, this album is just brilliant.
deathevocation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSS wrote:
Those who followed Bathory from day one (or heard the old albums first then the later albums) don't like the 'viking' Bathory.

I bought BFD when it was released. I prefer viking Bathory.

Can you explain that?
Wilhelm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bathory: Viking era. Reply with quote

Ragingwinter wrote:
Not sure why most fans can't stand the viking metal style that Quorthon took on in the early 90s.

Can't say I've noticed the same. To the contrary, I see most / many fans praising Hammerheart and TOTG these days, but I can understand how a few of the necro purists would hate the melodic sound structure of the Viking era.

Any way, Hammerheart is an outstanding album. Tracks like "Valhalla" are some of the best that Bathory has ever written. When it comes down to it though I still prefer BFD and UTSOTBM.
DrkKnight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been into Bathory since the very beginning and I adopted and embraced the Viking era because, for me, Blood Fire Death was the absolute bridge between early speed/thrash Bathory and the black metal that would take over Scandinavia in just four short years. That album is the literal cusp in my humble opinion.

BFD is essential! It seemed like the natural step into Hammerheart, Twilight and the eventual Nordlands and Blood on Ice.

These are essential listening.

Good deals: Travis N., xyosefx, Dark Descent, captainretardo
ADK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bathory: Viking era. Reply with quote

Ragingwinter wrote:
Not sure why most fans can't stand the viking metal style that Quorthon took on in the early 90s.

Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: