P R O D U C T I O N S
 
 FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 
 Profile 
 Log in to check your private messages 
 Log in 

Danzig appreciation thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
wirelessbanality



Joined: 20 Nov 2007
Posts: 352

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthplague wrote:
huntersinsnow wrote:
It was in awful shape and he sold it for about $500 on ebay.


That doesn't even make sense. I bought the first press of Initium in VG+ condition for for less than $40 from a legitimate Misfits collector. That would have been about 7 or 8 years ago, but I refuse to believe the market's gone up THAT MUCH on Samhain records. That shit's out of print, but hardly rare.


IT COULD HAVE BEEN THE RARE BLACK WITH WHITE STREAKS PRESS!

I like the Evil Elvis in all his incarnations. But Misfits 4EVR
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
huntersinsnow



Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 213

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wirelessbanality wrote:
eighthplague wrote:
huntersinsnow wrote:
It was in awful shape and he sold it for about $500 on ebay.


That doesn't even make sense. I bought the first press of Initium in VG+ condition for for less than $40 from a legitimate Misfits collector. That would have been about 7 or 8 years ago, but I refuse to believe the market's gone up THAT MUCH on Samhain records. That shit's out of print, but hardly rare.


IT COULD HAVE BEEN THE RARE BLACK WITH WHITE STREAKS PRESS!

I like the Evil Elvis in all his incarnations. But
Misfits 4EVR

Yeah, it was black/white marble and limited to 15 or 20. I wish I was making it up. That's a fucking painfully awesome goodwill find.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hellmask



Joined: 07 Apr 2011
Posts: 866

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The musicians he has used since Danzig 4 just have no emotion/passion in their playing when doing the older material.


I'll have to respectfully disagree. Todd Youth and Tommy Victor both did/do justice to the old stuff. Victor especially is really into the older songs, and from what I hear he actually requested a few older songs that have been played on the last few tours. Those guys are veterans - they know what they're doing.

The current Danzig band is awesome live...I like 'em almost as much as the original lineup. Victor from Prong on guitar, Johnny Kelly from Type O on drums, and former Samhain drummer Steve Zing on bass.

Quote:
I've been jammming this boot 7ep, "Last Gasp" and the live tracks are great. The vocals on "To Walk the Night" are amazing and even when Glenn is fucking up the words to "Bloodfeast" it still sounds good.


Yep, that's a great boot. My other favorite Samhain boot is the "On Earth As It Is In Hell" 7". The version of "The Hungry End" on there is mind-blowing.

As far as video boots, my all-time favorite is the Misfits "Why Be Something You're Not" TV appearance. I must have watched my old VHS tape of that about a hundred times, till the tape wore out. I have it on DVD now. So fucking awesome.
_________________
Evil Is As Evil Does...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hellmask



Joined: 07 Apr 2011
Posts: 866

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah, it was black/white marble and limited to 15 or 20. I wish I was making it up. That's a fucking painfully awesome goodwill find.


FUCK! No wonder a shitty copy sold for $500. That's one of the (un)holy grails for Danzig collectors.
_________________
Evil Is As Evil Does...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ADK



Joined: 05 Oct 2012
Posts: 1033

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the regular SAMHAIN CDs are hard to get by now.

I also think they didn't re-pressed the awesome boxset, in opposite to the widely popular Misfits-coffin.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DTP



Joined: 13 Feb 2012
Posts: 404

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never really appreciated Danzig's solo work until last year, when i found the s/t on LP for a good price; now i own the first 5 and they're all stellar

SAMHAIN is still tops, imo...
_________________
"I can feel the AIDS in the air" --Voivod
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eighthplague
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADK wrote:
Even the regular SAMHAIN CDs are hard to get by now.

I also think they didn't re-pressed the awesome boxset, in opposite to the widely popular Misfits-coffin.


They need to repress the box with proper digipacks or jewelcases. I can't fucking stand those cardboard CD sleeves.
Back to top
Brooklyn Bastard 666



Joined: 08 Oct 2009
Posts: 2527
Location: Brooklyn, NY

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samhain on cd and lp have become MEGA $$$, the Caroline ones and the re-issues from 1999/2000!

There have been no Samhain vinyls pressed since I'd say 1996.
There have been no Samhain cds in any form at all made since about 2000/2001.
The Samhain box was pressed ONE TIME.
Not sure how many were made either.
I have one.


I hear GD and Rick Rubin squashed any issues and that D1-D4 will come out as a box set at some point through Sony/American. But, GD got all of the b-sides and out-takes and put them on that "Lost Tracks", so this 1-4 set will have like....nothing except 1-4??? I HOPE it includes the 2 home videos on a dvd, then it is worth buying.

2 yrs ago I had heard that The End Records was doing D1-D4 on limited vinyl - this never happened.

As for SAMHAIN - I'd gather GD owns all of the masters etc.
If he does, why no re-issues of anything?
Odd.
_________________
We Are Satan's Generation And We Don't Give A Fuck!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ADK



Joined: 05 Oct 2012
Posts: 1033

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthplague wrote:
ADK wrote:
Even the regular SAMHAIN CDs are hard to get by now.

I also think they didn't re-pressed the awesome boxset, in opposite to the widely popular Misfits-coffin.


They need to repress the box with proper digipacks or jewelcases. I can't fucking stand those cardboard CD sleeves.


Yes, definitive! Bought the box in 2000/2001 if I remember correctly, my cardboard CDs already look pretty shitty.

Luckily I have at least "Initium" on vinyl and "November Coming Fire" as regular CD version.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Inverto Crosso



Joined: 06 Mar 2008
Posts: 200
Location: Satanic Metal Temple

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samhain's music has some inexplicable qualities in it. Don't know what their source of strength was, but one can drink in the darkness of their frenzied punk rock. Very powerful mixture of pounding punk and chilly darkness.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eighthplague
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's a dumb detail, but I've never found Samhain to be a punk band, really. For the life of me I can't figure out why it's not on Metal Archives for that matter.
Back to top
lord pazzuzu



Joined: 08 Dec 2011
Posts: 493
Location: usa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110988865762?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Just ordered this. Not sure if it's a boot or what. Don't care, honestly. I can't find an original under $100. Figured you'd fine folks would have some info on it.
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/lord_pazzuzu

gromcrom wrote:
So "funny" guy to make thread in mock. Rolling Eyes
I am a fear so hard of you laugh to me on internet I cry at night in winnie pooh pants like Necromorbus of so cult stuido, idiot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TEKWRX



Joined: 29 Nov 2011
Posts: 134
Location: United States

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there is a very recent boot of III that has been popping up with discogs sellers, I'm sure that's what it is for that price. I haven't seen it under $100 in years...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hellmask



Joined: 07 Apr 2011
Posts: 866

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know it's a dumb detail, but I've never found Samhain to be a punk band, really. For the life of me I can't figure out why it's not on Metal Archives for that matter.


I honestly don't know how to classify Samhain. I've never heard anything else that even comes close to sounding like that, especially Unholy Passion and NCF...just really unique stuff.

Quote:
Just ordered this. Not sure if it's a boot or what.


At that price it has to be a boot. Cover looks good though.

I should go through my Misfits/Samhain/Danzig collection someday and make a list of all the stuff I have. I unfortunately don't have any of the original Misfits 7"s, but I do have all the Misfits and Samhain 12"s (all black vinyl) and all of the Danzig LPs that were released on vinyl (except the recent pressing of I Luciferi), plus all the CDs from all 3 bands. I also have tons of 7" and 12" boots.
_________________
Evil Is As Evil Does...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lord pazzuzu



Joined: 08 Dec 2011
Posts: 493
Location: usa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I would love to see pics.

Regarding the III lp: it's a German "repress." The seller said it looks great and has the Def American logo on the back.. I'll post pics when I get it.
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/lord_pazzuzu

gromcrom wrote:
So "funny" guy to make thread in mock. Rolling Eyes
I am a fear so hard of you laugh to me on internet I cry at night in winnie pooh pants like Necromorbus of so cult stuido, idiot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group