P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Danzig appreciation thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mencken

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transmutations wrote:
hellmask wrote:
...hardly any bass...

Wouldn't you say the "classic" albums have hardly any bass? Rick Rubin is famous for being very minimal and having little to no low end.

Only the first two were produced by Rick Rubin and those two hardly had any bass, the third one, produced by Glenn Danzig, is quite different.

I like the new album, but then again, I like his post classic line-up albums too.
transmutations

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mencken wrote:
transmutations wrote:
hellmask wrote:
...hardly any bass...

Wouldn't you say the "classic" albums have hardly any bass? Rick Rubin is famous for being very minimal and having little to no low end.

Only the first two were produced by Rick Rubin and those two hardly had any bass, the third one, produced by Glenn Danzig, is quite different.

I like the new album, but then again, I like his post classic line-up albums too.

He co-produced 3 and 4. I don't know how much input he had, but apparently enough so that Chuck Biscuits hates the drum sound on the first three albums.
PeterVenkman

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transmutations wrote:
mencken wrote:
transmutations wrote:
hellmask wrote:
...hardly any bass...

He co-produced 3 and 4. I don't know how much input he had, but apparently enough so that Chuck Biscuits hates the drum sound on the first three albums.

The drum sound is great on I and II, totally fits.
mushroomleg

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pleasantly surprised at how good this album is.
On the other hand, the cover is horrible!!! Razz
TotalKhaos

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mushroomleg wrote:
I'm pleasantly surprised at how good this album is.
On the other hand, the cover is horrible!!! Razz

The cover KILLS me. The art on back of album would have been a better choice. But a Frazetta,Bisley or even another H.R. Giger cover would have been killer. Was DRS a Bisley cover?
mencken

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

transmutations wrote:
mencken wrote:
transmutations wrote:
hellmask wrote:
...hardly any bass...

Ignore the liner notes and hear the man himself.
hellmask

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TotalKhaos wrote:

The cover KILLS me. The art on back of album would have been a better choice. But a Frazetta,Bisley or even another H.R. Giger cover would have been killer. Was DRS a Bisley cover?

Bisley did the Black Laden Crown cover art. I don't mind the cover at all. Not my favorite, but its cool in a comic book way.

Joe Chiodo did the DRS cover, which is excelent IMO.
TotalKhaos

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellmask wrote:
TotalKhaos wrote:

Bisley did the Black Laden Crown cover art. I don't mind the cover at all. Not my favorite, but its cool in a comic book way.

Super surprised to hear that's a Bisley cover. I look at Thrall and 666 and those are great compared to BLC. I love DSR cover. Probably one of my favorite covers ever.
transmutations

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TotalKhaos wrote:
hellmask wrote:
TotalKhaos wrote:

Super surprised to hear that's a Bisley cover. I look at Thrall and 666 and those are great compared to BLC. I love DSR cover. Probably one of my favorite covers ever.

I prefer the new cover to the DRS cover. I don't particularly like either of them though.
nok

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After quite a few spins I must say this album is truly fucking awesome. The best outside of II, III and IV. Top quality songs, a solid effort. I think it's damn impressive.
Evilman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally found a decent copy of Danzig I (replica bootleg) at my local record store, 20, mint... This one:
https://www.discogs.com/Danzig-Danzig/release/7322975

I'll post my discogs review here:

Not sure if I got this one as the marble aspect is very slight on my copy, far from what I can see on the provided pictures... LP is a little bit transluscent as well. Anyway, the gatefold and print quality is stunning, no way you'd think this is a bootleg if you don't know about it. Heavy, thick & glossy cover with sharp definition, it's pretty perfect on that point. Soundwise, of course it sounds a bit thin and digital, yet I think it's quite correct for what it is. The original album has a splendid sound so that helps, this bootleg is certainly far from the quality of the original LP but it sounds close to my CD actually... Quiet pressing, a bit of static noise here and there but overall quite nice. Go for it.
TotalKhaos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilman wrote:
I finally found a decent copy of Danzig I (replica bootleg) at my local record store, 20, mint... This one:
https://www.discogs.com/Danzig-Danzig/release/7322975

I'll post my discogs review here:

Not sure if I got this one as the marble aspect is very slight on my copy, far from what I can see on the provided pictures... LP is a little bit transluscent as well. Anyway, the gatefold and print quality is stunning, no way you'd think this is a bootleg if you don't know about it. Heavy, thick & glossy cover with sharp definition, it's pretty perfect on that point. Soundwise, of course it sounds a bit thin and digital, yet I think it's quite correct for what it is. The original album has a splendid sound so that helps, this bootleg is certainly far from the quality of the original LP but it sounds close to my CD actually... Quiet pressing, a bit of static noise here and there but overall quite nice. Go for it.

I myself have this one as well. I agree with all that is said. And mine too is light on the marble aspect of it.
hymnsoftheneedlefreak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see more Danzig songs written in the vein of "Thirteen."

Dissecting some of his later discography and there are some definitely good tracks amongst Circle of Snakes, Satan's Child and 777: COS has some pretty cool riffs and it's quite sludgy/heavy.
TotalKhaos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hymnsoftheneedlefreak wrote:

Dissecting some of his later discography and there are some definitely good tracks amongst Circle of Snakes, Satan's Child and 777: COS has some pretty cool riffs and it's quite sludgy/heavy.

Agreed. I love 777 and feel 666 is overlooked and under appreciated
hellmask

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TotalKhaos wrote:
hymnsoftheneedlefreak wrote:

Agreed. I love 777 and feel 666 is overlooked and under appreciated

Agreed on both, x1000!

CoS has some great tunes as well. Black Angel White Angel became a favorite of mine after seeing it performed live. And even though it is probably time to go with a different opener, Skincarver sounds fucking killer live.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: