P R O D U C T I O N S
 
 FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 
 Profile 
 Log in to check your private messages 
 Log in 

Danzig appreciation thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mencken



Joined: 02 Sep 2013
Posts: 49
Location: Croatia

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transmutations wrote:
hellmask wrote:
...hardly any bass...

Wouldn't you say the "classic" albums have hardly any bass? Rick Rubin is famous for being very minimal and having little to no low end.


Only the first two were produced by Rick Rubin and those two hardly had any bass, the third one, produced by Glenn Danzig, is quite different.



I like the new album, but then again, I like his post classic line-up albums too.
_________________
He is grim and loveless, but at birth he breathes power to strive and slay into a man's soul. What else shall men ask of the gods?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
transmutations



Joined: 08 Feb 2016
Posts: 256

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mencken wrote:
transmutations wrote:
hellmask wrote:
...hardly any bass...

Wouldn't you say the "classic" albums have hardly any bass? Rick Rubin is famous for being very minimal and having little to no low end.


Only the first two were produced by Rick Rubin and those two hardly had any bass, the third one, produced by Glenn Danzig, is quite different.



I like the new album, but then again, I like his post classic line-up albums too.

He co-produced 3 and 4. I don't know how much input he had, but apparently enough so that Chuck Biscuits hates the drum sound on the first three albums.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PeterVenkman



Joined: 11 Feb 2011
Posts: 4889
Location: Houghton le shit

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transmutations wrote:
mencken wrote:
transmutations wrote:
hellmask wrote:
...hardly any bass...

Wouldn't you say the "classic" albums have hardly any bass? Rick Rubin is famous for being very minimal and having little to no low end.


Only the first two were produced by Rick Rubin and those two hardly had any bass, the third one, produced by Glenn Danzig, is quite different.



I like the new album, but then again, I like his post classic line-up albums too.

He co-produced 3 and 4. I don't know how much input he had, but apparently enough so that Chuck Biscuits hates the drum sound on the first three albums.


The drum sound is great on I and II, totally fits.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
mushroomleg



Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 637
Location: Cleveland, Ohio.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pleasantly surprised at how good this album is.
On the other hand, the cover is horrible!!! Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TotalKhaos
Guest





PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mushroomleg wrote:
I'm pleasantly surprised at how good this album is.
On the other hand, the cover is horrible!!! Razz


The cover KILLS me. The art on back of album would have been a better choice. But a Frazetta,Bisley or even another H.R. Giger cover would have been killer. Was DRS a Bisley cover?
Back to top
mencken



Joined: 02 Sep 2013
Posts: 49
Location: Croatia

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

transmutations wrote:
mencken wrote:
transmutations wrote:
hellmask wrote:
...hardly any bass...

Wouldn't you say the "classic" albums have hardly any bass? Rick Rubin is famous for being very minimal and having little to no low end.


Only the first two were produced by Rick Rubin and those two hardly had any bass, the third one, produced by Glenn Danzig, is quite different.



I like the new album, but then again, I like his post classic line-up albums too.

He co-produced 3 and 4. I don't know how much input he had, but apparently enough so that Chuck Biscuits hates the drum sound on the first three albums.


Ignore the liner notes and hear the man himself.
_________________
He is grim and loveless, but at birth he breathes power to strive and slay into a man's soul. What else shall men ask of the gods?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hellmask



Joined: 07 Apr 2011
Posts: 1718

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TotalKhaos wrote:

The cover KILLS me. The art on back of album would have been a better choice. But a Frazetta,Bisley or even another H.R. Giger cover would have been killer. Was DRS a Bisley cover?


Bisley did the Black Laden Crown cover art. I don't mind the cover at all. Not my favorite, but its cool in a comic book way.

Joe Chiodo did the DRS cover, which is excelent IMO.
_________________
Evil Is As Evil Does...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TotalKhaos
Guest





PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellmask wrote:
TotalKhaos wrote:

The cover KILLS me. The art on back of album would have been a better choice. But a Frazetta,Bisley or even another H.R. Giger cover would have been killer. Was DRS a Bisley cover?


Bisley did the Black Laden Crown cover art. I don't mind the cover at all. Not my favorite, but its cool in a comic book way.

Joe Chiodo did the DRS cover, which is excelent IMO.


Super surprised to hear that's a Bisley cover. I look at Thrall and 666 and those are great compared to BLC. I love DSR cover. Probably one of my favorite covers ever.
Back to top
transmutations



Joined: 08 Feb 2016
Posts: 256

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TotalKhaos wrote:
hellmask wrote:
TotalKhaos wrote:

The cover KILLS me. The art on back of album would have been a better choice. But a Frazetta,Bisley or even another H.R. Giger cover would have been killer. Was DRS a Bisley cover?


Bisley did the Black Laden Crown cover art. I don't mind the cover at all. Not my favorite, but its cool in a comic book way.

Joe Chiodo did the DRS cover, which is excelent IMO.


Super surprised to hear that's a Bisley cover. I look at Thrall and 666 and those are great compared to BLC. I love DSR cover. Probably one of my favorite covers ever.

I prefer the new cover to the DRS cover. I don't particularly like either of them though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nok



Joined: 28 Sep 2015
Posts: 233

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After quite a few spins I must say this album is truly fucking awesome. The best outside of II, III and IV. Top quality songs, a solid effort. I think it's damn impressive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Evilman



Joined: 26 Sep 2014
Posts: 678
Location: Titty Twister

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally found a decent copy of Danzig I (replica bootleg) at my local record store, 20, mint... This one:
https://www.discogs.com/Danzig-Danzig/release/7322975

I'll post my discogs review here:

Not sure if I got this one as the marble aspect is very slight on my copy, far from what I can see on the provided pictures... LP is a little bit transluscent as well. Anyway, the gatefold and print quality is stunning, no way you'd think this is a bootleg if you don't know about it. Heavy, thick & glossy cover with sharp definition, it's pretty perfect on that point. Soundwise, of course it sounds a bit thin and digital, yet I think it's quite correct for what it is. The original album has a splendid sound so that helps, this bootleg is certainly far from the quality of the original LP but it sounds close to my CD actually... Quiet pressing, a bit of static noise here and there but overall quite nice. Go for it.
_________________
EK Nacht wrote:
If you don't like Bolt Thrower you should hide that shit in shame and listen to them over and over again until you're fixed because you are certainly broken.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TotalKhaos
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilman wrote:
I finally found a decent copy of Danzig I (replica bootleg) at my local record store, 20, mint... This one:
https://www.discogs.com/Danzig-Danzig/release/7322975

I'll post my discogs review here:

Not sure if I got this one as the marble aspect is very slight on my copy, far from what I can see on the provided pictures... LP is a little bit transluscent as well. Anyway, the gatefold and print quality is stunning, no way you'd think this is a bootleg if you don't know about it. Heavy, thick & glossy cover with sharp definition, it's pretty perfect on that point. Soundwise, of course it sounds a bit thin and digital, yet I think it's quite correct for what it is. The original album has a splendid sound so that helps, this bootleg is certainly far from the quality of the original LP but it sounds close to my CD actually... Quiet pressing, a bit of static noise here and there but overall quite nice. Go for it.


I myself have this one as well. I agree with all that is said. And mine too is light on the marble aspect of it.
Back to top
hymnsoftheneedlefreak



Joined: 26 May 2016
Posts: 2827

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see more Danzig songs written in the vein of "Thirteen."

Dissecting some of his later discography and there are some definitely good tracks amongst Circle of Snakes, Satan's Child and 777: COS has some pretty cool riffs and it's quite sludgy/heavy.
_________________
I name you under our cult
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TotalKhaos
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hymnsoftheneedlefreak wrote:
I would like to see more Danzig songs written in the vein of "Thirteen."

Dissecting some of his later discography and there are some definitely good tracks amongst Circle of Snakes, Satan's Child and 777: COS has some pretty cool riffs and it's quite sludgy/heavy.


Agreed. I love 777 and feel 666 is overlooked and under appreciated
Back to top
hellmask



Joined: 07 Apr 2011
Posts: 1718

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TotalKhaos wrote:
hymnsoftheneedlefreak wrote:
I would like to see more Danzig songs written in the vein of "Thirteen."

Dissecting some of his later discography and there are some definitely good tracks amongst Circle of Snakes, Satan's Child and 777: COS has some pretty cool riffs and it's quite sludgy/heavy.


Agreed. I love 777 and feel 666 is overlooked and under appreciated


Agreed on both, x1000!

CoS has some great tunes as well. Black Angel White Angel became a favorite of mine after seeing it performed live. And even though it is probably time to go with a different opener, Skincarver sounds fucking killer live.
_________________
Evil Is As Evil Does...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group