P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Metal related shops in CHICAGO?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TEKWRX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Metal related shops in CHICAGO? Reply with quote

I know it's short notice, but I just landed in Chicago and we'll be here for a few days. What are some good record stores to checkout? We'll probably hit up Reckless Records, anything else decent?
throneofmight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal Haven was a good shop overthere but it is closed down now. Mark still sell stuff via email at metalhavenstore@yahoo.com. Perhaps you can contact him and check out what he has available somehow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MoshItUp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

permanent records on chicago and damen. it's not heavy on the metal end, but it is a record store. they have some cool stuff in there.

bucket o' blood on milwaukee/california. again, not solely metal, but cool stuff.

record breakers on state/cermak. lot's of general stuff, but somewhere to stop in if you're feeling adventerous to dig.

dave's records on clark/wellington. a little pricey, but sometimes there's good stuff.

some places to check out and all in different parts of the city. this way you'd see a lot of the city as well.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely hit up Reckless Records. There are 3 locations, but the one on Milwaukee usually has the best metal selection. The one on Broadway is worth checking out too.
They are pretty current on new releases, but the used metal lps are hit or miss. Just depends on what people sell. I've found tons of great used stuff there over the years.
Professor Black

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been in Permanent in about a year but I always thought their selection was thin and way overpriced. They are good for bags and sleeves type stuff though.
TEKWRX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies.

We ended up just going to Reckless on Milwaukee. Didn't have a ton of money to spend, but they did have a few things I wanted. Only ended up getting a sealed copy of Burzum "Umskitar" on grey vinyl (I really liked the last two), and a Nuclear Blast pressing of Dimmu Borgir "For All Tid" on red vinyl. I don't really like Dimmu at all, but I keep reading that early stuff isn't bad, so I took a shot being it's an early pressing for a decent price. Spinning it now, and I'm really digging it. Too bad they seemed to get lame so quickly...
MoshItUp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good scores. reckless has a ton of re-issues. you can spend a lot of time in there looking around at everything. did you happen to look at the records on the walls, in the cases and behind the counter? they sometimes have some jems up there. that's sometimes. what else did you do while you were here?
DrkKnight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
Definitely hit up Reckless Records. There are 3 locations, but the one on Milwaukee usually has the best metal selection. The one on Broadway is worth checking out too.
They are pretty current on new releases, but the used metal lps are hit or miss. Just depends on what people sell. I've found tons of great used stuff there over the years.

This. I've walked out there having dropped $600 in one evening on all the metal they get in at the Milwaukke location. Parking's a bitch at times, but well worth it.

Good deals: Travis N., xyosefx, Dark Descent, captainretardo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: