P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

The NWN local record store guide!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GHOAT

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in South GA - nothing here...

In Tallahassee, an hour away, there is Vinyl Fever. Pretty large selection of vinyl, but not so much on the metal. Some bigger labels can usually be found. I usually do not even bother with the vinyl; if I do I am usually looking for something not metal. CD selection is pretty run of the mill as well. Some stuff you will not find in the mall shops, but shit you can get online way cheaper. Every genre seems like it has it's own section except for metal, which is lumped in the pop/rock. I go here to peruse the used CDs; usually I can go in and walk out with 10 discs of all kinds of crap for cheap. They have a $6-9 used section and a $2-5 used section, in both of which you can usually find the same CDs, it is pretty funny. The cheaper ones are in worse condition of course. There is usually some decent death and black metal stuff. Nothing too rare though. I did buy Considered Dead there one time for $3.99. Ended up selling for $30 (was not my intention). I have been going here for about 10 years now, and recently they completely rearranged the store and fucked me all up. GoldenBull might know more about this place, seeing as how he lives in Tally.

Also - I do not live there (our drummer does), but there is a decent place in Willoughby, Ohio, about 45 mins east of Cleveland called Ultrasound. Lots of punk and hardcore/metalcore stuff. Good selection of metal mixed in. Lots of new vinyl and a few decent older titles. Used CDs were buy 3 get a 4th free when we were there in October. The owner is a scene looking guy who comes and takes things from you once you are carrying them around the store, I guess he is worried about shoplifting. Once we got to the counter, this dude's breath was so bad I had to take a couple steps back. It smelled like gasoline and horseshit. Decent store though, got some Dead Boys vinyl for cheap.

Another one that I am familiar with that I live no where near is The Rhythm Section in the Mountain Mall in Gatlinburg Tennessee. Fucking tiny ass place in a tiny ass mall deep as fuck in the smokies. They have like, every CD ever made. Not really, but tons of shit. Lots of metal. A few out of print titles, lots of older pressings of bigger CDs, lots of full discographies in one place. I could have easily dropped a couple hundred bucks this weekend (if I had it) getting shit just because it was there. If you want to complete your Napalm Death, Death, Immortal, Cryptopsy, Morbid Angel, or Incantation (these are just things I remember seeing, among TONS of other bands) discos at once - this is the place. Problem - their CDs are EXPENSIVE. Vinyl selection was terrible too. Awesome DVD selection as well plus more shirts than I was even going to bother looking at.
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well currently in Southampton now.

There's an Oxfam music shop here. Good if you like hair metal. Mind you had Sabbath, Maiden and AC/DC.
Reed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone's ever in Denver, Colorado. I work in the oldest record store in the city. It's called WAX TRAX, located on 13th Ave. & Washington St. There's two stores, one for vinyl, and the other for CDs.

Not generally known as a good spot for metal, but since I've been working there we've gained a little bit more.

BLACK & READ in Arvada, CO is probably the best for metal in town. A constant surplus of rarities. Come out to the mile high city and buy some goddamn records!
ryan_the_snake

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elemental Decay wrote:
Has anyone else in the SF Bay had a chance to check out Shaxul on Haight? Worth looking through? Whenever I've gone by it hasn't been open.

I've been there once, it's TINY, like about as big as my living room, and the selection is not huge, but it's all quality stuff, no filler. Not much used stuff, but the new prices are very reasonable ($8 - $15 for CDs). There's a pretty even split between CDs and vinyl. Lots of cool shirts, patches and zines and stuff. It's worth a look for sure, just has a really "homey" feel to it. You'll find something you like there, no doubt about it.

With Amoeba right across the street, if you're record shopping on Haight there's no excuse not to go there. Unless it's closed of course!
spectre

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live on the East Coast of the US;

Locally there is really nothing except for Rainbow Records (Newark, DE). They have an ok metal selection but can order a great deal of metal including lps. there is also a store down the street from Rainbow know as Wonderland which looks like it has the remains of a metal selection.

If you venture up into Pennsylvania to Philadelphia you will encounter Noise Pollution, the Philadelphia Record Exchange among other records stores which have some interesting stock and are worth mentioning. the Relapse Retail store was also in the area but I believe they recently closed.

the greatest store in the area is the legendary Vintage Vinyl in Fords, NJ. They have a massive metal selection.
Sacrilegio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spectre wrote:
I live on the East Coast of the US;

Locally there is really nothing except for Rainbow Records (Newark, DE). They have an ok metal selection but can order a great deal of metal including lps. there is also a store down the street from Rainbow know as Wonderland which looks like it has the remains of a metal selection.

If you venture up into Pennsylvania to Philadelphia you will encounter Noise Pollution, the Philadelphia Record Exchange among other records stores which have some interesting stock and are worth mentioning. the Relapse Retail store was also in the area but I believe they recently closed.

the greatest store in the area is the legendary Vintage Vinyl in Fords, NJ. They have a massive metal selection.

Yes, Vintage Vinyl is legendary! I have sadly not been able to head there(NJ is too far from NYC) but hopefully next time I head back east I will drive down there.

I also heard of a place Hospital Productions in NYC, but I also was not able to visit it. Is it any good?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: