P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

The NWN local record store guide!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If possible, any chance of maybe including an address then I'll put them on a list perhaps, just in case I ever happen to be in that part of the world! At least the street name would be fantastic!
///13///

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: nwn local records store guide Reply with quote

any address/pointers for good record stores in Houston,TX area? i'll be visiting Htown next month.
ryan_the_snake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Santa Cruz, California. There are basically three record shops here:

Streetlight. This is part of a Bay Area chain. Metal pretty well represented, a tiny metal vinyl selection which is mostly composed of NWN! releases, HHR and some of the bigger labels (Earache, Relapse, etc.). Hardly ever any used metal LPs, but I have been able to find gems here every once in a while, like Nocturnus "The Key" for $10, and the second Acid LP for $4! Fair prices for new CDs, pretty decent selection of underground black/death stuff for a town this size.

Logos. All used vinyl. This is inside of a huge bookstore. Hardly ever find metal here, but it's worth a look for classic rock and whatnot. Really good prices, you can always find something cool or weird here. But don't expect to find metal aside from big names like Priest, Maiden, etc.

Metamusic. All vinyl, almost all new. Focus is more on indie/electronic music, but they do carry some black/death vinyl, like Back on Black and the Death reissues and whatnot. I hardly ever go there, because Streetlight has pretty much all the stuff Metamusic has for cheaper. Run by nice guys though.

All of these shops are in the downtown area.
peterott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Returned right now from a record-hunting day in Munich. Completely disappointing for 2nd hand vinyl, nice for 2nd hand CDs.

Dock - Aventin Straße.8
-> best 2nd hand CD stuff in Death/Black/Thrash Metal. I should have bought 10 CDs instantly and put them on my tradelist.

M2 Music - Rosenheimer Str.77 (2nd shop in Nordendstr.41 - Schwabing)
-> shitloads of 2nd hand CDs. Got first two Desaster CDs for 5 Euros each, new Sear Digi-CD for 6 Euros.

Magic Point Records - Augusten Str. 58
-> some 2nd hand Metal CDs (got the Extol - Pearl MCD there for 5 euros)

Forget about the rest (ca.15 stores), that are mentioned in the yellow pages of Munich. Just disappointing. And if there is Metal, then there are always the same Accept/Whitesnake LPs filed under "Heavy".

And the opening times are horrible. 3:00pm to 7:00pm for M2 Music as an example.

People into House, Techno, Jazz, Klassik, Wave, Blues:
echo optimal - Kolloseum Str.6
-> s.a.d.l.y. no Metal. That would be the best, but 20.000+ records of the above mentioned styles.
[/b]
GROUND ZERO Entertainment

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peterott...
Does the huge W.O.M. still exist??
When I lived in München in the 1980s they had a whole big room with nothing but metal, tons of obscure (then)shit...Manilla Road, all kinds of US imports from tiny labels, tons of UK imports, large zine selection, etc...
www.red-sky-design.com/GZEmailorder.htm
Good Trades: NWN! / H.H.R. / No Sign Of Life / LIE IN RUINS / BLOOD HARVEST / Asphyxiate / Prof. BLACK / Axa Valaha / Bloody Prod. / SONIC TEMPLE / Kuravilu / Death Dealer
peterott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GROUND ZERO Entertainment wrote:
Peterott...
Does the huge W.O.M. still exist??
When I lived in München in the 1980s they had a whole big room with nothing but metal, tons of obscure (then)shit...Manilla Road, all kinds of US imports from tiny labels, tons of UK imports, large zine selection, etc...

That World Of Music shop down in the basement in the inner city has closed down approx. 2 years ago. They always had tons of people down there, but nearly no one bought their overpriced CDs compared with other "CD-shops" like Drogeriemarkt Müller or Saturn Hansa in the same area. I usually listened to their 19 Euros CDs, and then bought them elsewhere for 12 Euros... (must be 36 DM during your times here compared to 25 DM in other shops). However, they had very cool import CDs, good vinyl section, ... but unfortunately totally overpriced.

W.o.M. also had an outlet close to Stachus/Karlsplatz, where they sold a lot of cut-out CDs or stuff which was in the main shop for 5+ years without getting sold. Found there the Traumatic - Spasmodc Climax CD for 5 Euros. But this was closed 3 years ago already.
GROUND ZERO Entertainment

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky...it was around 4 DM to the $ when I was there in München in 1984...things were cheap for us Americans for a little while!

By the time I moved from Spangdahlem AFB (by Bitburg) back to the States in late 1986 though it was closer to 2 DM to the $...
www.red-sky-design.com/GZEmailorder.htm
Good Trades: NWN! / H.H.R. / No Sign Of Life / LIE IN RUINS / BLOOD HARVEST / Asphyxiate / Prof. BLACK / Axa Valaha / Bloody Prod. / SONIC TEMPLE / Kuravilu / Death Dealer
Mutilashawn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Victoria BC ... after your mandatory trip to ROSS BAY CEMETERY be sure to check out Lyle's Place on Yates St. All CD's but quite a good metal section with tons of NWN! releases ... the manager is a metal head and knows his stuff. Be sure to also check out Turntable in Fan Tan Alley for psych rock gems ... just picked up German Oak and Arthur Brown ... a little pricy but you're getting only top quality. Lots of used as well.
CraiGORE

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endless Morbidity wrote:
Long Island isn't the same without Slipped Disc, but some shops worth checking out are:

Mr Cheapo (Mineola and Commack)

Mineola location is better, I think. Cheaper prices. Like most "mom and pop" record shops that don't exclusively deal in Metal, it's pretty hit or miss if that's what your looking for.

Looney Tunes (Babylon)

Have an OK selection of Metal, mostly from the bigger labels though. Prices are pretty fair. They just started selling second hand LP's and last time I was there, I saw no Metal.

Avenue D Records and Collectibles (Islip)

I just discovered this place. Mostly deal with old 50's Rock N' Roll and Jazz, but they have two bins of Metal with the usually amount of Maiden, Priest, Manowar, Accept, etc. But they also have some less popular stuff as well. Last time I was there, I picked up a Picture (Hol) LP. I didn't see anything incredibly rare when I was there. Prices range between $8 and $15 an LP. Vinyl is all in good condition too, if it's not, it's price accordingly.

In NYC.....

Generation Records (Manhattan)

One of the last places left with a decent selection of Metal, which is pretty sad. They stock pretty much all NWN! Prod. releases on CD and LP, so.....

Hospital Productions (Manhattan)

Located in hole under a Reggae shop. Walk to the back of the shop and crawl into it on a wobbly latter. If you're fat, don't waste your time going, cause you wouldn't fit. They have a lot of Noise shit and some Black Metal. They have NWN! Prod. titles, Northern Heritage and Ajna stuff, as well as some others.

Bleeker Bob (Manhattan)

Pretty worthless, over hyped shithole, but a quick stop inside never really hurts. Small selection of Metal CD's and vinyl in usually poor condition with prices higher than they should be.

Shit, I was just in the city for a week and wish I had read this thread..
Detest Records

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any interesting used records stores in Reykjavik (Iceland)?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came back from France... found a great record shop in Poitiers as well as in Paris. Whoever said there were no good metal records to be found in Paris hasn't been there in a while... I spent a little fortune there!
George

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving this thread a bump since I have a trip planned for Atlanta in Jan for a little over a week. Anything good around there?
Nosliw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.recordstorereview.com

'Nuff said.

T/S List: http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4783
huja

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nosliw wrote:
http://www.recordstorereview.com

'Nuff said.

nice, i have nothing near me. guess i could always drive a couple hours to st. louis though.
Elemental Decay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else in the SF Bay had a chance to check out Shaxul on Haight? Worth looking through? Whenever I've gone by it hasn't been open.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: