P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Drowning the Light - 2013/14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nocturnal Deathstrike

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vega360 wrote:
Nocturnal Deathstrike wrote:
Why do people always get so butthurt about a band doing a lot of releases ?

I knew a musician that actually wrote 100 new songs in an entire week, and wanted me to release all of them. I highly doubt even 10 of those would be of a caliber worth releasing.

Oh well... I´m with you on that one...
It´s obvious that "wrote" is the wrong word for that,,,

But I see no problem to write a good album in a week or two...
Always depends on the music presented .... Black Metal is a lot about atmosphere and therefore it´s more important to capture a certain spirit. Very often it is more about the right sound than how worked out the song structures are....
Vega360

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vega360 wrote:
Why do people always get so butthurt about a band doing a lot of releases ?

I knew a musician that actually wrote 100 new songs in an entire week, and wanted me to release all of them. I highly doubt even 10 of those would be of a caliber worth releasing.

Oh well... I´m with you on that one...
It´s obvious that "wrote" is the wrong word for that,,,

But I see no problem to write a good album in a week or two...
Always depends on the music presented .... Black Metal is a lot about atmosphere and therefore it´s more important to capture a certain spirit. Very often it is more about the right sound than how worked out the song structures are....

Yes, the only bad part about writing for genres such as black metal that the main focus is the right sound. People with psychotic method's of writing find home to it. I'll look at some bands release catalog and will wonder if they even have any idea what the albums sound like, let alone be able to play the songs again. At least when the focus is on the technicality people write stuff down.

I'd rather wait years for a new release if them just making it up in an hour is the alternative though. I'll sell people demos they get interested in off the sample and they all already asking when will come more material so I doubt anyone cares in the long run.
www.vinlandspecialservices.bandcamp.com
www.vinlandss.wordpress.com
www.ilsakoch.wordpress.com
Urfe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see a lot of stuff planned for next year, the final part of the Obscure Worship Chronicles tape i am definitely looking forward to a bit more than the rest Smile (the other parts have been great).
deathevocation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthplague wrote:
Vega360 wrote:
musician

"Musician". Laughing
No one with an iota of talent could or would write that much.

Bob Macabre.
BreedingtheSpawn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthplague wrote:
I just want a fucking Sadistic Intent album before I'm 90.

Laughing

We are finally free from gods or men who claim to be.
da666

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here is an edited version of the "stock answer" i have for this common topic/questioning about releasing "to much", so it's not directed at anyone just covers the topic:

Quote:

A lot of bands may take 5 years to do one full length, the reason is normally because the band members are to busy with their “real life” jobs and social lives, and only do black metal when it suites them.
Some bands with members who are dedicated to their art may just seem like they are doing little because these people spread their musical creativity throughout 5-10 projects, either known or anonymous - and no one complains about the individual doing "to much". Even if some projects almost sound identical. These people release 10 fold what i do - sometimes even more! But for me DTL has been all encompassing, and other then DTL i record very little (vocals for Eternum, and some other misc. things). SO why should i make 5 other projects if i feel it would all be fitting for DTL? Because others think a band should release one album every 5 years, 2 eps in that time and maybe a split or two? Who are they to say how much is too much in regards to someone elses artistic output?
Also other bands spend all their time rehearsing for live shows, so instead of writing new material they are rehearsing old songs for live - DTL plays live once a year pretty much (if that). Some bands also release so little because they won't settle for anything but a studio album, so they have to go through all the rigmarole of working around a studio, working around a budget, working around the label financing it etc. and even if they were prolific there would be no way for them to afford to record all their music anyway.

Everything i release I am proud of. Every song written is done so because myself and the other members have connected with it on some level, if i start writing a riff that does nothing for me im never going to play it again, let alone record it, or release something shit for public scrutiny that i can't back up. If i didn't believe in or feel something for what i record would i still be here after all these years? No - i would of said "this means nothing to me so fuck it" and moved on with my life. But the fact is i create these songs for myself first and foremost, i create something that i feel connected to and that stirs something dark in me, something that im proud of - everytime.

lordnausea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Diabolical Winter Spells" demo left me waiting for more, so this anouncement of a bunch of new releases excites me!!

http://www.discogs.com/seller/07mgl
Feuersturm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one for you.

Drowning The Light has released, between 2003 and 2012, in one form or another, let's see... about two hundred and fifty (250) songs, give or take.

Iron Maiden has like what, 145-200 starting from 1975?

Holy crap.
Xeniteia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet he claims -see the Drakkar MÜTIILATION rereleases thread- that he releases one album per year. Hypocrisy at its best.

Not to add that he plays crap. Seriously, where is atmosphere or quality to be find in his releases? Bad voice, horrible songs, low quality production.
Feuersturm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xeniteia wrote:
Yet he claims -see the Drakkar MÜTIILATION rereleases thread- that he releases one album per year. Hypocrisy at its best.

Not to add that he plays crap. Seriously, where is atmosphere or quality to be find in his releases? Bad voice, horrible songs, low quality production.

We're of course not in a position to disclaim DTL's sincerity or pride, after all, an artist should be his own worst critic. Unfortunately some people, for some reason, lack the all important ability to evaluate the quality, significance and substance of their own art.

Or in some cases... the sheer volume of it.
Fallen_Empire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not talking about DTL specifically here, but do you think that an artist who releases TOO MUCH could distract from his truly great works by the sheer volume of material surrounding it?
Vega360

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallen_Empire wrote:
Not talking about DTL specifically here, but do you think that an artist who releases TOO MUCH could distract from his truly great works by the sheer volume of material surrounding it?

Yes, and the only thing worse then that is trying to teach bands to focus on putting out good stuff rather then releases to just get shit.
www.vinlandspecialservices.bandcamp.com
www.vinlandss.wordpress.com
www.ilsakoch.wordpress.com
DTBRex

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xeniteia wrote:

And you have listened to each and every album from start to finish, have you? Rolling Eyes
Transcendence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact alone that you even feel compelled to provide justification for your so-called 'productivity' on a message board and that you are constantly on the defensive regarding your musical abomination is sad, or rather, pathetic.

Let's keep it at that for now. I won't even bother commenting on the actual 'music'.

Last edited by Transcendence on Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Deathexecution

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

da666 wrote:
Ok here is an edited version of the "stock answer" i have for this common topic/questioning about releasing "to much", so it's not directed at anyone just covers the topic:

Quote:

A lot of bands may take 5 years to do one full length, the reason is normally because the band members are to busy with their “real life” jobs and social lives, and only do black metal when it suites them.
Some bands with members who are dedicated to their art may just seem like they are doing little because these people spread their musical creativity throughout 5-10 projects, either known or anonymous - and no one complains about the individual doing "to much". Even if some projects almost sound identical. These people release 10 fold what i do - sometimes even more! But for me DTL has been all encompassing, and other then DTL i record very little (vocals for Eternum, and some other misc. things). SO why should i make 5 other projects if i feel it would all be fitting for DTL? Because others think a band should release one album every 5 years, 2 eps in that time and maybe a split or two? Who are they to say how much is too much in regards to someone elses artistic output?
Also other bands spend all their time rehearsing for live shows, so instead of writing new material they are rehearsing old songs for live - DTL plays live once a year pretty much (if that). Some bands also release so little because they won't settle for anything but a studio album, so they have to go through all the rigmarole of working around a studio, working around a budget, working around the label financing it etc. and even if they were prolific there would be no way for them to afford to record all their music anyway.

Everything i release I am proud of. Every song written is done so because myself and the other members have connected with it on some level, if i start writing a riff that does nothing for me im never going to play it again, let alone record it, or release something shit for public scrutiny that i can't back up. If i didn't believe in or feel something for what i record would i still be here after all these years? No - i would of said "this means nothing to me so fuck it" and moved on with my life. But the fact is i create these songs for myself first and foremost, i create something that i feel connected to and that stirs something dark in me, something that im proud of - everytime.

I find it says everything if you have a standard reply ready to copy/paste! don't worry man, noone read that. And then again, your music is no more than copy/pasting of useless riffs also Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: