P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

ULVER -Interesting take on the music industry
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ADK

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES I am too idiotic for Ulver and fucking proud of it!!! And I hope they all have to go on Norwegian welfare now.
scentofdeath

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADK wrote:
YES I am too idiotic for Ulver and fucking proud of it!!! And I hope they all have to go on Norwegian welfare now.

I think that's better than what you make
ADK

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're free to think what you want.
ill omen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i mostly agree with nonwave. a lot of fantastic music has been made solely because there was an industry that had the capacity to afford creative people the ability to take chances and experiment and evolve. having briefly skimmed over the ulver article, it seems that the band is largely complaining about the fact that they put a lot of work into their music, have a large fan base, and yet there are people around them who are making more money off of their work than they are. i think thats a valid criticism. i dont think any artist is entitled to make a living off of art, but i dont think that artists who have earned the respect of a significant number of people should be denigrated simply because they are living off of their work.

specifically with respect to ulver, i have not liked very much of the most recent releases...particularly when vocals are incorporated. some of the instrumental electronic music they have done is phenomenal though. i only recently began exploring their later material and some of it is every bit as good (albeit totally different) as their metal. i dont think there is anything wrong about a band exploring different styles of music although it should be a shock that it alienates some of the fan base.
Dalen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haunt In The Dark wrote:
And my main hobby consists in playing in bands that are absolutely not financially viable for plenty of different reasons. I don't care though, otherwise I'd probably end up frustrated and unhappy and that's not what hobbies are for.

Truer words have rarely been spoken.
bvr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's absolutely nothing wrong with getting paid for music. But it is not enough to make good music, if you want money. You also have to be a good businessman. Good musicians who don't get paid either don't care or are poor businessmen. There are plenty of people who are way inferior musicians compared to Ulver, and have a far smaller fanbase. But they make decent money, because they know how to market themselves.

What IS wrong, that's blaming other people for your own inability to sell your shit.
Blood Music

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The band has no claim to rights on their first 3 albums, they don't need taking a hint from bootleggers on eBay. Repressing has been impossible (except for Nattens Madrigal, as CM is quite happy about that one). The other rights are deadlocked and may or may not get released someday. That is anyone's guess.

Garm owns Jester. I believe they have an official connection with Kscope as distributors. But I'm quite sure Jester is independent. The band 100% owns their own rights on everything after Nattens Madrigal.

It is absolutely a rough world for musicians and labels alike.

Sales went down, which made things even more cutthroat. But I highly doubt that a lot of musicians were making mad money in their heyday either. They've always been relegated to taking a % after everyone else.

Blood Music
http://www.blood-music.com
http://www.facebook.com/BlooodMusic
Dalen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really doubt Ulver don't make decent money. I mean, I'm sorry, but they do get payed for live shows and their records sell more compared to many, many less successful musicians.
scentofdeath

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalen wrote:
I really doubt Ulver don't make decent money. I mean, I'm sorry, but they do get payed for live shows and their records sell more compared to many, many less successful musicians.

Like their statement says, there's money.
However, they address all the 3rd parties involved that cash in for doing god knows what.

I think this is more about some disappointment towards the industry that hasn't changed much, where "these people" still find a way to cash in on the artists' backs.

Nonetheless it's still Ulver's fault.
If you really want to be independent you will be as DIY and as Hands-On as you possibly can. Meaning, put out records by yourself, sell them yourself pack and ship them yourself, and dare I say... sell the tickets yourself.
Looking after ticket sales to your shows CAN BE DONE! It's been done before, and it's being done right now (see Louie C.K. - the response is incredible). I'm sure there's exceptions, but at least in their European backyard they could be touring self managed and sell tickets by themselves. Bypassing third party "mogul" companies benefits both the artist and the fans.
As for selling records, why not use Jester as imprint and mailorder?
Of course all of this means a lot more work, but damn, don't complain about third parties cashing in when you chose to rely on their "services" in the first place.
Anyway....
Haunt In The Dark

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scentofdeath wrote:
Dalen wrote:

Like their statement says, there's money.
However, they address all the 3rd parties involved that cash in for doing god knows what.

I think this is more about some disappointment towards the industry that hasn't changed much, where "these people" still find a way to cash in on the artists' backs.

Nonetheless it's still Ulver's fault.
If you really want to be independent you will be as DIY and as Hands-On as you possibly can. Meaning, put out records by yourself, sell them yourself pack and ship them yourself, and dare I say... sell the tickets yourself.
Looking after ticket sales to your shows CAN BE DONE! It's been done before, and it's being done right now (see Louie C.K. - the response is incredible). I'm sure there's exceptions, but at least in their European backyard they could be touring self managed and sell tickets by themselves. Bypassing third party "mogul" companies benefits both the artist and the fans.
As for selling records, why not use Jester as imprint and mailorder?
Of course all of this means a lot more work, but damn, don't complain about third parties cashing in when you chose to rely on their "services" in the first place.
Anyway....

Seconded. I just didn't want to be "that guy" and post this myself...
grindmonkeyagain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad they haven't been good since Nattens Madrigal.

I'm a noise/power electronic musician. I don't care about making profit. Let the rock stars suffer, noise is the true underground.
eighthplague

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grindmonkeyagain wrote:

I'm a noise/power electronic musician. I don't care about making profit. Let the rock stars suffer, noise is the true underground.

You're retarded.
S_Slaughter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADK wrote:
nonwave wrote:
you think fucking mozart composed that shit in his free time after working at 7-11 for 60 hours a week? give me a fucking break. the motherfucker devoted his life to it.

That motherfucker was actually getting paid for his shit by the Emperor himself. To compare him with ANY nowadays Rock musician is completely off the road.

Up until then though Mozart's father toured his family relentlessly around Europe with at times no money & under extremely hard conditions. They went from court to court with no gaurantee that anyone would even see them. His father groomed the children from childhood and they were away from home for years at a time on the road as young children touring... not unlike the Jackson Five.
His eventual patronage came from hard work, luck & being in the right place at the right time.
ADB

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthplague wrote:
grindmonkeyagain wrote:

You're retarded.

firmament

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADK wrote:
I'm not going to fucking read!!! I'm just here to spout useless opinions based on nothing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: