P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

old Therion track
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterott

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: old Therion track Reply with quote

Question about "Therion - To Mega Therion " (off the Theli CD):

Through tapetrading I once got a "rough-mix" version without so many sorts of effects, keyboards, not all choruses and stuff. Always thought this was pressed on some Nuclear Blast "Death Is Just The Beginning" sampler before the Theli release. But I don't find the track on these CDs as I got these samplers today.

Does anyone know, where this track has been released in this stripped-down version?

EDIT: Death Is Just the Beginning 3 has also a totally stripped-down version of "Black" without any female vocals. Probably from the same (pre-production???) session.
Lutfor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this won't help you at all, but I noticed a similar thing with Hypocrisy. There's a video for "Left to Rot" that sounds totally unlike the final mix.

Utter revulsion for what I've done.

You don't want the Butt Kraken!
Bring on the Krappen!

Slaughter wrote:
Why isn't Goatlord being mentioned? Is it too fast or something?
Uncolored

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: old Therion track Reply with quote

peterott wrote:

EDIT: Death Is Just the Beginning 3 has also a totally stripped-down version of "Black" without any female vocals. Probably from the same (pre-production???) session.

how can you enjoy the absence of goddess claudia maria mokri?? Wink

ps: sorry if I didn't help!

SatanHussein wrote:
my dream is to organise a funeral doom festival and sell my stockpiles of antidepressants at the merch stand
DSS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to www.google.com
Typed in the search box: therion to mega therion rough mix
Got many results, including Therion's official website. Here it is:

Quote:
Samples, samples, samples. Macabre Declension, Bells of Doom, Paroxymal Holocause, Asphyxiate with Fear the demo version, In the desert of Set demo version (unfortunately only one minute long piece, since that's the only one I could find), and that's it. So - now the first 3 demos have their samples linked, and the Asphyxiate with Fear from Time shall tell is a bit different... The Desert of Set demo is linked somewhere in the Extended discography section, you'll find it. Quite interesting that one, and concerning the demo tracks, my god, THAT's some excellent stuff. Chris is just a perfectionist when he says that the sound production is awful. For a demo that's REALLY good.

One more thing. I've just added the To Mega therion rough mix song to the extended disco section. It's not a sample, it's a full song, and it has a weaker mix than the original (Theli version). That's all the difference, if you don't believe me, download it yourself.

One more update... I've managed to catch extreemly rare Lepaca Kliffoth song: demo verson of Black! It's in the Extended disco section. I still miss Future coscioussness demo and Beauty in black live version. If you have them, please contact me. Thanx!

Also many links to download the track:

http://www.dilandau.eu/download_music/to-mega-therion-rough-mix-therion-1.html

http://www.filestube.com/t/to+megatherion

GOOGLE: it works!
God Slayer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: old Therion track Reply with quote

peterott wrote:

I always thought this was a MUCH better recording of the song. They use keys instead of vocals in some places, which makes the song much spookier.
Kapalika

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSS wrote:
[...]
Quote:
[...]I still miss Future coscioussness demo[...]

[...]

Interesting. Any info at all on that demo? Just one track or a whole tape?

"Beyond Sanctorum" would have been SO much stronger had it been recorded with the same line up that recorded "Future Conscience" for the "Projections..." sampler, that version is just unreal.
peterott

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSS wrote:
I went to www.google.com
Typed in the search box: therion to mega therion rough mix
Got many results, including Therion's official website. Here it is:
Also many links to download the track:

http://www.dilandau.eu/download_music/to-mega-therion-rough-mix-therion-1.html

http://www.filestube.com/t/to+megatherion

GOOGLE: it works!

I actually used google, but couldn't find anything. Googled after "Therion To Mega Therion alternate/alternative mix".... oh well. So thanks for the hint.

However, your last link doesn't work (It points to the Megatherion site, where the MP3 file has been removed, and the first link seems the album version only. However, I always thought this has been pressed on a compilation, but doesn't seem so.
peterott

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: Just found out that on the Beauty In Darkness sampler series, the song is included there. Maybe this is the version... luckily these samplers are available for some cents.
peterott

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://web.archive.org/web/20040807172837/http://storage.megatherion.com/mp3/therion-to_mega_therion_rough_mix.mp3

Ha! I like the even more T.G.Warrior-like vocals of Christofer on this version... however, I had the track more stripped-down in mind, like "Black" off the Death Is Just The Beginning 3 CD. And yes God Slayer, this version I prefer too. And the Projections Of A Staind Mind sampler track is fuckin' ace.
Barghest

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kapalika wrote:
DSS wrote:
[...]
Quote:
[...]I still miss Future coscioussness demo[...]

[...]

Interesting. Any info at all on that demo? Just one track or a whole tape?

"Beyond Sanctorum" would have been SO much stronger had it been recorded with the same line up that recorded "Future Conscience" for the "Projections..." sampler, that version is just unreal.

Beyond Sanctorum is an incredible album - one of my all-time favourites - but I agree it would have sounded darker if they kept the sound more like the demo.

The demo version of Future Consciousness is also on the CD re-release of Beyond Sanctorum, along with the demo versions of Cthulhu, Symphony of the Dead and Beyond Sanctorum. I think they have been re-mastered, as the sound quality is better than the 'Projections...' version (definitely the same recording though).

I have a copy of an old Therion promo tape called "Unofficial Promo Demo '90 (for zines and labels)" - not the one listed on MA. It features this same recording of Future Consciousness, and also Cthulhu. It's a copy of a tape my friend had (he got it direct from the band in 1990). After the two listed songs there are several other songs with the same production and vocal style - but these extra songs don't feature on any of Therion's albums. Any idea what they might be?
peterott

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably Carbonized or Procreation ? Or even Excruciate ?
Barghest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterott wrote:
Probably Carbonized or Procreation ? Or even Excruciate ?

Thanks man - you nailed it Smile

I just finished ripping the whole tape, and noticed there are 7 of those unknown tracks after the unofficial Therion promo, and the track lengths are virtually the same as the Procreation 'Enter the Land...' demo tracks. Only difference is the running order.

I don't remember hearing about this Procreation band before.

The production is very similar to the Therion promo before it. Maybe both were recorded back to back on the same master studio tape, and the Procreation demo was accidentally copied onto my friend's tape from the master. Fuck knows.

Slightly disappointed that I haven't unearthed some lost Therion recording though...
Oath

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutfor wrote:
I know this won't help you at all, but I noticed a similar thing with Hypocrisy. There's a video for "Left to Rot" that sounds totally unlike the final mix.

I think thats the version from the Rest In Pain demo, with only Peter Tägtgren (all instruments) and Masse Broberg (vocals).

Was puzzled about this myself when I first saw the video on the Death Is Just The Beginning VHS. But when I finally heard the demo, I connected the dots. The demos can be found as a bonus cd in the box version of 10 Years of Chaos and Confusion.

Here's the video:
http://youtu.be/HzgCQw47u0Q

Demo version:
http://youtu.be/Q8IcCs3mWlY
Guido

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damned! cannot find the direct link to the unreleased version of To Mega Therion, only the Theli classical version.
Could someone post the link please? Thanks.
I'm curious to heard that, i'm a big fan of old Therion stuff (even the new stuff is not bad, but of course very different).
peterott

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guido wrote:
Damned! cannot find the direct link to the unreleased version of To Mega Therion, only the Theli classical version.
Could someone post the link please? Thanks.
I'm curious to heard that, i'm a big fan of old Therion stuff (even the new stuff is not bad, but of course very different).

You mean the version that is different to the Theli version?
http://web.archive.org/web/20040807172837/http://storage.megatherion.com/mp3/therion-to_mega_therion_rough_mix.mp3

(download should automatically start after some seconds, else you have some blockers up and running)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: