P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Collecting metal - how we build our collections
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilhelm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Collecting metal - how we build our collections Reply with quote

What determines how you build your metal collection? For instance, do you collect based on the quality of an album and its importance to its respective genre or do you collect randomly for the sole sake of collecting and expanding your music collection?

Furthermore, does a specific format hold more importance than another format in your purchase decision?

Discuss.
samsquanch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck. Off. Wanker.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The word "collecting" should be purged from the vocabulary of any worthy fan of metal (or music on a general level), at least in the deleterious meaning well portrayed by the second part of your question.

Personally I'd never-ever buy a record I don't like for the purpose of filling a hole in a certain band's discography or showing off, if I happen to buy something I don't like I'll sell/trade it. I used to own most of those awful uberkvlt records that kids drool over (1st Mutiilation, 1st/2nd Absurd, Clandestine Blaze etc) having bought them out of sheer curiosity mainly when they were released, sold them for heaps of money and financed brandnew tv screens, proper metal records, book etc. I listen to all my 1,500+ records and be sure none of it is in M/M condition -fucking proud of that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
The word "collecting" should be purged from the vocabulary of any worthy fan of metal (or music on a general level), at least in the deleterious meaning well portrayed by the second part of your question.

Personally I'd never-ever buy a record I don't like for the purpose of filling a hole in a certain band's discography or showing off, if I happen to buy something I don't like I'll sell/trade it. I used to own most of those awful uberkvlt records that kids drool over (1st Mutiilation, 1st/2nd Absurd, Clandestine Blaze etc) having bought them out of sheer curiosity mainly when they were released, sold them for heaps of money and financed brandnew tv screens, proper metal records, book etc. I listen to all my 1,500+ records and be sure none of it is in M/M condition -fucking proud of that.

It's really cool to tell collectors of music to fuck off. Does that apply to stamp-, art-, bug-, etc- collectors aswell?

I personally enjoy collecting stuff related to bands and artists that I like. Shoot me.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

13 wrote:

It's really cool to tell collectors of music to fuck off. Does that apply to stamp-, art-, bug-, etc- collectors aswell?

Yes, if you end up buying stuff you don't really like/need for the sole purpose of showing the world how cool you are for owning a certain piece of art/bug/stamp. Mercyful Fate is possibly my fave band ever but that didn't prevent me from selling those terrible Dead Again, 9 etc albums of theirs, my "collection" is -OMG OMG- incomplete and I still sleep peacefully at night.

*can't wait for the "ITS MY MONEY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT" input from that Sabbat collector from the UK*
satanic ritual abuse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Collecting metal - how we build our collections Reply with quote

Wilhelm wrote:
What determines how you build your metal collection? For instance, do you collect based on the quality of an album and its importance to its respective genre or do you collect randomly for the sole sake of collecting and expanding your music collection?

Furthermore, does a specific format hold more importance than another format in your purchase decision?

Discuss.

Used to buy obscure records mostly, now I grab a classic from time to time as well. I prefer Vinyl, but I'm not spending the horrific prices of today, I'll buy CD versions for cheap instead.
NCF

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy records I like. That's how I build my collection.
navght

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sell drugs and buy whatever record think about as soon as I find it on discogs. Than I give sell or trade it, or give it away if its shitty. Wink
VATRA I SUMPOR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

13 wrote:

I personally enjoy collecting stuff related to bands and artists that I like. Shoot me.

Basically.

NK7 wrote:

Yes, if you end up buying stuff you don't really like/need for the sole purpose of showing the world how cool you are for owning a certain piece of art/bug/stamp.

Please stop already. My hand hurts from all the facepalming.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
13 wrote:

Yes, if you end up buying stuff you don't really like/need for the sole purpose of showing the world how cool you are for owning a certain piece of art/bug/stamp. Mercyful Fate is possibly my fave band ever but that didn't prevent me from selling those terrible Dead Again, 9 etc albums of theirs, my "collection" is -OMG OMG- incomplete and I still sleep peacefully at night.

*can't wait for the "ITS MY MONEY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT" input from that Sabbat collector from the UK*

I have never showed off my collection, I buy records for my own satisfaction, and I don't buy shit. I do however have different versions of the same records, and, *gasp*, I sleep well at night too. Go figure!

Do what thou wilt...
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually whatever band comes to mind when i get paid, more of a "gatherer" than collector, not trying to complete except for bands i really like, but often will buy records that i find good.

While i have many classics already, i want to get more, though my recent complaint is most punk LP's i am interested in, or newer release metal LPs go for cheaper than most popular/classic reissues these days (and of course classic records themselves usually a larger fortune when it comes to originals) that sometimes it gets stuck between the idea where i can buy half a punk bands discography or a bolt thrower reissue from earache. It is probably why my collection has a couple noticeable holes in it despite my best efforts these days to fill those gaps and only pick up the most essential new releases in between.
HotBlack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCF wrote:
I buy records I like. That's how I build my collection.

Idea Exclamation
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VATRA I SUMPOR wrote:

NK7 wrote:

Yes, if you end up buying stuff you don't really like/need for the sole purpose of showing the world how cool you are for owning a certain piece of art/bug/stamp.

Please stop already. My hand hurts from all the facepalming.

Yeah how dumb of me to imagine one would actually listen to the records he buys. What am I ever thinking.
Wilhelm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Listens this like MP3, not leather patch!

Did someone on this forum actually say that?
Wilhelm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

13 wrote:
NK7 wrote:
13 wrote:

I have never showed off my collection, I buy records for my own satisfaction, and I don't buy shit. I do however have different versions of the same records, and, *gasp*, I sleep well at night too. Go figure!

Do what thou wilt...

Yes, but do you have "proper metal records", lad?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: