P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

LABELS AND COMUNICATION
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Worthless Joke

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haunt In The Dark wrote:

stop paying bands studio time (nobody's paying you when you're thinking about the best ways of selling the record you're going to put out while you take a liberating 10-minute dump at your boring job), etc...

You're talking so much shit, that I just can't reply to it all. But I'll just keep to one point that I find the most stupid: The wrong analogy above.
Paying for the bands "studiotime" is not the same as paying someone to take a dump. When you pay the studiobill your paying the cost of the studio and engineer. The band doesn't get anything for the time they put in it. Not in the studio, and not while writing the music or recording it.

The studiobill is from guys - who unlike the band - will not work for free. And it is as much a real cost of making an album as the pressing.

And of course you can make a better profit if you leave the bands to take the loss. That should be apparent to everyone.

Also I have another thing to add to your great ideas of how to make a profit:
Just don't pay the bill from the printer. Now it's very easy to sell the records with profit!
Haunt In The Dark

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, but the discussion is about the money the label "loses", and I assume that 1/ S_Slaughter isn't dumb enough to pay for customers' shipping costs himself. 2/ that he talked about all the shipping costs from the pressing/printing plants to his place, etc... which indeed can get expensive.
Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haunt In The Dark wrote:
stop paying bands studio time

Haunt In The Dark wrote:
Royalties? Fuck that shit too.

Confused
AmaLurra

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did the Wodens' vinyl I paid for studio costs for the band for the bonus track. I see it as only fair as you cannot expect them to work for free. They also received a cut of the vinyls without charge.
Haunt In The Dark

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worthless Joke wrote:
Haunt In The Dark wrote:

stop paying bands studio time (nobody's paying you when you're thinking about the best ways of selling the record you're going to put out while you take a liberating 10-minute dump at your boring job), etc...

You're talking so much shit, that I just can't reply to it all. But I'll just keep to one point that I find the most stupid: The wrong analogy above.
Paying for the bands "studiotime" is not the same as paying someone to take a dump. When you pay the studiobill your paying the cost of the studio and engineer. The band doesn't get anything for the time they put in it. Not in the studio, and not while writing the music or recording it.

The studiobill is from guys - who unlike the band - will not work for free. And it is as much a real cost of making an album as the pressing.

And of course you can make a better profit if you leave the bands to take the loss. That should be apparent to everyone.

Also I have another thing to add to your great ideas of how to make a profit:
Just don't pay the bill from the printer. Now it's very easy to sell the records with profit!

"Printing costs" as in printing the covers, inserts and whatnot go into the "pressing costs." And either your boss is cool and will let you use his printing machine for free to print your flyers, or you can print a few everyday without people noticing it. This is what I meant.

Werewolf wrote:
Haunt In The Dark wrote:
stop paying bands studio time

Haunt In The Dark wrote:
Royalties? Fuck that shit too.

Confused

If you want royalties, go make a musician career in some more easy-listening/easy-selling scenes and don't play nekrokvltpanzergoatgrimfrostfucking trve black metal. Being in such kind of band is not a job, and if you think it is, the ghost of Euronymous will pull a Varg on you sooner or later.
Haunt In The Dark

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worthless Joke wrote:

And it's not "taking a loss" to me? I think there's a difference between babysitting and spoonfeeding bands and offering them a way to get more exposure?
Mr_Belvedere

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haunt In The Dark wrote:
Worthless Joke wrote:

And it's not "taking a loss" to me? I think there's a difference between babysitting and spoonfeeding bands and offering them a way to get more exposure?

Trust me, you would only get below average bands for your label if you act like that. Making an album is a hell load of work, costs a hell load of time and is fucking expensive.
Haunt In The Dark

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Belvedere wrote:
Haunt In The Dark wrote:
Worthless Joke wrote:

Trust me, you would only get below average bands for your label if you act like that. Making an album is a hell load of work, costs a hell load of time and is fucking expensive.

I've been playing in bands for more than a decade, toured the mainland and overseas, recorded in basements, studios,, etc..., released records, tapes, etc... I'm not talking out of my ass.
Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you please provide some namedropping of bands you played in stuff you released?
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:
NK7 wrote:
so what would "not that much" be like? $1000 a month? More?
Why should one's income become public to begin with? Rolling Eyes

Why shouldn't it? We aren't talking of millionaires here. Or are we?
Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I couldn't care less about how much you or how much the current owner of Apple earns. But I guess you weren't taught to look at your own dish, so nevermind...

Last edited by Werewolf on Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Haunt In The Dark

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:
Could you please provide some namedropping of bands you played in stuff you released?

It's not metal-related but still DIY, and I personally don't feel comfortable with doing that on here, sorry.
Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird, I expected you to be proud of your achievements, considering the fact that you're trying to teach everyone how to run their labels "properly"...
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:
Well, I couldn't care less about how much you or how much the current owner of Apple earns. But I guess you weren't taught to look into your own plate, so nevermind...

Chill out Aharon. I was asking that out of mere curiosity, I've never run a label nor am I ever planning to and I honestly have no idea what kind of $$$ there might be into metal these days.
Haunt In The Dark

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:
Weird, I expected you to be proud of your achievements, considering the fact that you're trying to teach everyone how to run their labels "properly"...

I'm not teaching anything anyone, only expressing opinions. And I'm proud of a few of my achievements but don't feel to have them validated or criticised by anyone on here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: