P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Norwegian releases that still hold up?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ninkaszi187

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Norwegian releases that still hold up? Reply with quote

my top 10. listening to this stuff a lot lately. it's been a while.

Mayhem "DMDS"
Darkthrone "A Blaze In The Northern Sky"
Darkthrone "Transilvanian Hunger"
Mayhem "Deathcrush"
Mysticum "In The Streams of Inferno"
Burzum "Det Som En Gang Var"
Emperor/Enslaved split
Zyklon-B "Blood Must Be Shed"
Burzum "S/T"
Mayhem "Live In Leipzig"
Professor Black

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add to that list:

Borknagar - s/t
In the Woods... - HEart of the Ages
Invictus Productions

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd add 'Panzerfaust' in there too along with 'In The Nightside Eclipse' and 'Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk'.

I'm not too fussed on 'Deathcrush' as it's not in the same context as the later Black Metal material so I wouldn't include it but if we are including it then I'll add in 'Soulside Journey'! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodheimsgard - kronet til konge/monumental possession
gorgoroth - 4 first
hades - 2 first

DESECRATOR777

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

none of it Laughing
Dodens Grav

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of it. At least all of the early stuff.

Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Darkthrone - everything
Burzum - all the metal stuff
Immortal - first two
Enslaved - most of it
Helheim - first two
Hades - all
Gorgoroth - first three
Satyricon - first two

I can't think of anything before, say, 1995 that's not at least good.
Ninkaszi187

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invictus Productions wrote:
I'd add 'Panzerfaust' in there too along with 'In The Nightside Eclipse' and 'Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk'.

I'm not too fussed on 'Deathcrush' as it's not in the same context as the later Black Metal material so I wouldn't include it but if we are including it then I'll add in 'Soulside Journey'! Smile

I consider "Deathcrush" a part of it even if I know what you mean.. "Soulside Journey" is a supreme death metal record for sure. One of their best records.

"Panzerfaust" and "ITNE" kill as well but I don't ever have the desire to throw in "Anthems..."
Mikael

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always seen this board as very anti-Norwegian and no matter what is released in Brazil (for example), it always seems to top everything from Norway. I'm mostly looking for melodies and a bit more "musical" approach, so I think earlier albums by Ulver, Hades, Satyricon, Ancient, Burzum, Emperor, In The Woods, Gorgoroth, Borknagar and even Dimmu Borgir easily tops most of those South-American releases.

This message is like pouring gasoline into flames, but a honest reply Laughing
peterott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top 10 list of some very good recent bands (in alphabeltical order):

Criterion - The Dominant CD
Daudur - s/t 10"
Funeral - From These Wounds Digi-CD
Lamented Souls - The Origins Of Misery CD
Orcustus - Demo CDr '02 / World Dirtnap 7"
Shaarioth - Current 11 CD
Smile Carved Sour - Sound You'll Never Hear CDr
Sulphur - Outburst Of Desecration 10"
Svartahrid - Sadness And Wrath CD
Urgehal - basically all

all fantastic Black, BlackThrash, Doom or Death Metal bands (plus one Ved Buens Ende tribute band).
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taake-Nattestid
Immortal-Pure Holocaust
Burzum - 1st 4
Emperor-Nightside Eclipse
Darkthrone-1st 4

Fuck all these clone bands playing amateur death metal and recording it in a fucking dumpster...if you take away the emotional impact and dangerous energy the Norwegian scene gave to black metal, you are seriously just left with beer chugging Bathory and Blasphemy clones...
fuck that. True Norwegian Black Metal will always reign supreme.
Bestial Devastator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immortal "Pure Holocaust"
Mayhem "DMDS"
Darkthrone "Transilvanian Hunger"
Cadaver "Hallucinating Anxiety"
Imposter "Little Hitler Illusion" demo
Mortem "Slow Death" demo/7"
So much Hate "How We Feel" Cool
Ninkaszi187

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael wrote:
I've always seen this board as very anti-Norwegian and no matter what is released in Brazil (for example), it always seems to top everything from Norway. I'm mostly looking for melodies and a bit more "musical" approach, so I think earlier albums by Ulver, Hades, Satyricon, Ancient, Burzum, Emperor, In The Woods, Gorgoroth, Borknagar and even Dimmu Borgir easily tops most of those South-American releases.

I enjoy both styles but I've always hated the symphonic stuff like old Dimmu, Old Mans Child, Covenant, Borknigger, Troll, etc... I never got the appeal. There is no darkness to be found. For some reason I still own all original copies of this junk. Collecting dust for over a decade. I should ebay it.

Old Ancient was ok, Ulver had a good demo and two good records, the first three Immortal albums are listenable but I can't stand them after that, first 3 Enslaved are good, Fleurety demo was good, MANES demos rule, I like Satyricon up to and including "Rebel Extravaganza", Ildjarn demos, Thorns demos, I will try to think of more.
Mikael

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninkaszi187 wrote:
I enjoy both styles but I've always hated the symphonic stuff like old Dimmu, Old Mans Child, Covenant, Borknigger, Troll, etc... I never got the appeal. There is no darkness to be found. For some reason I still own all original copies of this junk. Collecting dust for over a decade. I should ebay it.

Old Ancient was ok, Ulver had a good demo and two good records, the first three Immortal albums are listenable but I can't stand them after that, first 3 Enslaved are good, Fleurety demo was good, MANES demos rule, I like Satyricon up to and including "Rebel Extravaganza", Ildjarn demos, Thorns demos, I will try to think of more.

I should check more about the other styles, no question about it. But actually DB was very good and not that symphonic until Devils Path, the first OMC demo/MCD was very good and also the debut. First Covenant is quite good, but something was lost for me, just like with Troll. First Borknagar is awesome and quite harsh-sounding, their best and one of the "classic albums" from that period to me.

I can somewhat understand "no darkness to be found", but it has an awesome atmosphere including the nature and their heritage.

Immortal was never that interesting, but I liked the first album and same can be said about Enslaved, the debut is awesome. However, I think Enslaved is something that I should re-check again. I have about everything by Ildjarn, but it's a bit too simple for my taste.
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninkaszi187 wrote:
Mikael wrote:

If you have Stormblast or For All Tid vinyl you want to get rid of, send me a PM Very Happy
dalecooper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been too much into the traditional Norwegian BM sound, but I do love "Bergtatt." That is a great album, right there, and so unique.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: