P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Audio imperfections that stay with you
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DTP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Audio imperfections that stay with you Reply with quote

Anyone else here still hear those dropouts/skips/noises during a certain part of a song you heard growing up? A few still haunt me to this day like:

Owning 'pleasure to kill' on cassette and inbetween every song would be this low clicking sound; once i got the LP i was so used to hearing it i'd be surprised when it was silent instead...

Also had a bad skip on my copy of 'walk among us' so for years during "all hell breaks loose" i got accustomed to hearing Glenn saying "yeah mah whole world's a-breakin..world's a-breakin..." even when i later got the CD

Best one was the time i had a mate dub me 'reign in blood' when it came out, which i owned for over 6 months before buying it; he recorded it on his dual cassette boombox, which had a mic on it, so i got to hear his dad yell at him to "turn that shit down" during the beginning of 'jesus saves' and right after Tom yells DO YOU WANNA DIE he squeals into the mic "no i wanna live" fucking dick Laughing

Last edited by DTP on Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Korgull

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a little "voop" sound early on in Heading Out to the Highway that I'd never noticed, but once someone pointed it out I can't unhear it.

I once knew this kid that had a dubbed copy of South of Heaven that was taped over some Butthole Surfers songs. So at the end of Ghosts of War, it cut in with "Satan! Satan! Satan! Satan!" from Locust Abortion Technician. I always hear that in my head now when that song ends.
The Farthest Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio imperfections that stay with you Reply with quote

DTP wrote:
i got to hear his dad yell at him to "turn that shit down" during the beginning of 'jesus saves' and right after Tom yells DO YOU WANNA DIE he squeaks into the mic "no i wanna live" fucking dick Laughing

I peed myself a little.

Anyway, there's a weird pig-like grunt in Inn i slottet fra drommen in the first half of the song. Once you hear it, it stays with you.
karimlan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tape ion my cassette of Venom "Black Metal" got stretched at the start of Side A and so I'm used to listening to a version of this song where Cronos sounds like a young Mille circa "Pleasure to Kill."
everdarkgreen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about audio imperfections.

Hypocrisy "Necronomicon" (Obsculum Obscenum version, around 1:47). Sounds like when a part of the tape has been "eaten" (mangled). I always thought it was a problem from my cassette, but it comes in the CD and vinyl also! (any explanation for such thing?)

Same thing happens with Mortuary (Blackened Images) "Sacrilegious" (1:35). Anyway, the whole album is full of "clicks", like when making a lame analog-digital transfer. All the versions comes with the same "problem", even the "new remastered" one by Gates Of Hell...(what a lame ass version anyway, not fixing the sound and taking a band picture from the web (quality alike) for the design).

From the Pungent Stench "For god your soul" CD (1st press). The volume at the end of "Molecular Disembowelment" gets very low all of a sudden.
Satanic Slut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shitty dubbed version of Deicide's first album I owned in 1990 had war noises (machine gun fire, screams, explosions) at the start of "Blaspherion", it blended in perfectly and faded into the opening riff like it was always there.
Sounded great and for a few years I thought that was how it was on the original.
The Prophet Muhammad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A copy I had of Storm of the Lights Bane had a really fucking loud noise on one of the last songs, made me jump out of my fucking chair every time. I stopped listening to the last half of that album
DTP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought the "Live in Leipzig" LP reissue (2012 Peaceville edition) and during the song 'pagan fears' right before the drums kick in at full speed the tape sounds all chewed up, thus ruining the overall effect. I don't recall the cd version doing this back then, does anybody else's earlier pressings have the same 'error'?
holy ghost

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korgull wrote:
There's a little "voop" sound early on in Heading Out to the Highway that I'd never noticed, but once someone pointed it out I can't unhear it.

I hear that. I have this one on CD not LP and I always thought it was some glitch on my CD. I keep meaning to grab an LP copy Confused
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio imperfections that stay with you Reply with quote

DTP wrote:

Owning 'pleasure to kill' on cassette and inbetween every song would be this low clicking sound; once i got the LP i was so used to hearing it i'd be surprised when it was silent instead...

Was it a dub or a boot or something like that? For a long time I only owned dubbed tapes of my favorite albums and I could always hear the moment when whoever dubbed the tape hit "record" and it sounded like a click as you describe.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a really noticible clicking on part of Child in Time from my copy of Made In Japan. I hate it.... drives me crazy!!!
eighthplague

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everdarkgreen wrote:
Talking about audio imperfections.

Hypocrisy "Necronomicon" (Obsculum Obscenum version, around 1:47). Sounds like when a part of the tape has been "eaten" (mangled). I always thought it was a problem from my cassette, but it comes in the CD and vinyl also! (any explanation for such thing?)

Same thing happens with Mortuary (Blackened Images) "Sacrilegious" (1:35). Anyway, the whole album is full of "clicks", like when making a lame analog-digital transfer. All the versions comes with the same "problem", even the "new remastered" one by Gates Of Hell...(what a lame ass version anyway, not fixing the sound and taking a band picture from the web (quality alike) for the design).

From the Pungent Stench "For god your soul" CD (1st press). The volume at the end of "Molecular Disembowelment" gets very low all of a sudden.

Same "mangled tape" thing happens a couple times on my CD copy of Under the Sign of the Black Mark (which I assume is a pressing from the mid-90s). Not sure if it's on any other pressing.
DTP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio imperfections that stay with you Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:
DTP wrote:

Was it a dub or a boot or something like that? For a long time I only owned dubbed tapes of my favorite albums and I could always hear the moment when whoever dubbed the tape hit "record" and it sounded like a click as you describe.

No sir, it was an orig Combat cassette (classic ultra-cheap packaging w/ cover art (usually shrunken and boxed) and nothing else) anyway, the clicking sound was kinda muffled and sounded like a loop but once the song kicked in all was well...
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I've heard that sound before too. Your description just reminded me of the days when I was mowing lawns to buy blank tapes and couldn't catch a ride to a record shop. Laughing
captainretardo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the music I owned as a kid sounded like poo Sad because of what I played it on. Inexplicable POPS! all over the place? Check. Garbled tape sound? Check. Occasional tape-played-backward sound? Check. The 'modern' (ha) equivalent of my young'un days equipment is a 'boombox,' which has tuner/tape/cd player...but mine had tuner/8-track/record player. I never once changed the stylus in 8-10 years. Luckily, my dad gave me a Dual 1229, a Pioneer receiver, a pair of New Large Advents, and a kick to the ass at age 17 to GTFO. Frankly speaking, I can't thank him enough.

Lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: