P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

ENTOMBED Appreciation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunnportal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dail wrote:
Sunnportal wrote:
Yeah Left Hand Path isn't all that.

you're a fucking moron. LHP is one of the greatest Death Metal albums ever recorded.

Plenty of other Swedish death metal albums i prefer to listen to. Sorry to upset you.
Valgrinder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clandestine is THE Entombed record for me too.

From the beginning I used to think how great and innovative that drumming was. Then later amazed when found out that drummer have done most of the songs. And was I amazed more when they years later revealed that it was Nicke all the time who did the vocals. So its triumph for Nicke. Shame what he became later and somehow (thatswhy?) that Death Breath sounds like pretending to do death metal

Left Hand Path is good record too. But gotta admit that it wouldnt be so great without the title track and that title track wouldnt be so great without that italohorror melody...

Me and my pal used to argue which is better; Entombed or Dismember. Dont remember how we agreed, but both though that Dismember did better debut but Entombed did better second full-lenght.
the wizard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like Morning Star album too. It sounds like Slayer, i read somewhere theywrote it after a tour with them, this explaining that .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4UH9RL6kSA
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valgrinder wrote:

Left Hand Path is good record too. But gotta admit that it wouldnt be so great without the title track and that title track wouldnt be so great without that italohorror melody....

Gotta admit that Liz Hurley wouldn't look so hot either if her head was chopped off, and her body wouldn't be all that great if the boobs were removed and the legs torn apart.
Valgrinder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
Valgrinder wrote:

Left Hand Path is good record too. But gotta admit that it wouldnt be so great without the title track and that title track wouldnt be so great without that italohorror melody....

Gotta admit that Liz Hurley wouldn't look so hot either if her head was chopped off, and her body wouldn't be all that great if the boobs were removed and the legs torn apart.

Still think that your comparison was way off. What makes LHP so great is that small part that they ripped straight from the movie. Be it tribute or not.
Stygian Shadows 'zine

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: ENTOMBED Appreciation Reply with quote

"but first three records are still as killer today as they've ever been"

Total agreement, but I'd say that maxis/EPs from that era also rules!
The_Magus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entombed is my all time favourite death metal band easily.
LHP is the fuckin' milestone and the Clandestine is simply perfect, so weird, so insane, so OBSCURE.
I was really dissapointed with Hollowman/Wolverine Blues when it was released, but I learn to appreciate them months later...
More rockish? Sure, but still with that cold swedish early 90's sound.
Sadly, Wolverine was the last acceptable album by THE BEST death metal act around there.
Overrated? I don't think so.
It's far beyond death metal, swedish sound, etc...It's about QUALITY!
It's really hard to find this level of QUALITY nowadays, specially in a world full of "old school death metal" "ritualistic bestial black metal", amateurism a go-go, and every shit from a basement released as "ultrakvlt collector's piece".
euroboy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a fan boy so even so much hated by millions loved by noone Same difference has some good songs. My fave is Clandestine. Maybe because it was my first encounter with Entombed.
Under Command

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left Hand Path is my favorite Swedish Death Metal album. Alpha & Omega of the genre.
Deathcrusher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunnportal wrote:
Yeah Left Hand Path isn't all that. Although the vibe is pretty awesome and bleak. I prefer the Nihilist material.

Clandestine is certainly a classic.

I completely disagree here. I see LHP as everything Nihilist achieved, only condensed and recorded properly. Just like To Mega Therion or De Mysteriis... in comparison to the Hellhammer demos and Live in Leipzig. Obviously, I prefer the former, though I know other people like the raw demo sound. Anyway, first Entombed is definitely my favourite. Great album, huge impact on the genre at the time.
Wolfsturm888

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Entombed from the very beginning (NIHILIST) and do think that Left hand path is THE swedish Death Metal album of all time (next to Dismemberīs debut / Carnage LP / Grotesque MLP & Dissectionīs debut)!
The title track is a masterpiece, though I think the brutal version of Shreds of Flesh on the LP is just over the top aswell and equally killer.
Always liked Clandestine too, dark and sinister album. Though i have to agree that LG would have made this album even more mayhem. Besides, i also do like the 7" / 10" es like "Crawl" & "Stranger Aeons". The Crawl / Forsaken versions with that total different vocals also kills.
I first saw Entombed in 1992 or 1993 (before Hollowman) as opener for Motorhead, what a remembrance...
At least it should be said that the "When in Sodom" EP is killer aswell in my opinion, especially the first two songs - raises a bit of nostalgic late 80`s / early 90`s feeling...

"And discover the lies - see the truth beyond - the shadows of a false paradise!"
Weltering in Blood

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: ENTOMBED Appreciation Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
Weltering in Blood wrote:
Not a great fan of the Death n' Roll stuff later on, but first three records are still as killer today as they've ever been

Well technically the third album already falls into the D'n'R category Wink but of course I agree with you on that the early releases completely overshadow everything they released later. I do enjoy a couple of tracks off Serpent Saints though.

How's this band live nowadays? Do they still play songs from the first two albums or is it just the later stuff with a short medley of the classic death metal period?

Oh yeah, the 3rd record is in the Death and n'Roll style but it's somehow just more interesting that the other stuff later on. Don't ask me how I can reconcile my contradictory post above Very Happy

Yeah you usually get a couple of old songs. Actually, they're playing more older songs that they did when I last say them about 6 years ago.
Weltering in Blood

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valgrinder wrote:
Shame what he became later and somehow (thatswhy?) that Death Breath sounds like pretending to do death metal

I don't know about this, it's perfectly natural for people to get tired of something they've been doing since they were kids. You get exhausted. I don't know about you, but I go through periods where I don't listen to any metal at all. Nickes been around since the beginning and DB sounds to me like something that could have come out in 1991 easily. Love that band and hope he keeps doing it!
deathevocation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting reading. As posted earlier, I like LHP, though will pull out these Swedish debuts prior to reaching for it;

Dismember
Carnage
Grave
Unleashed
Necrophobic

I never clicked w/Clandestine.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valgrinder wrote:
Still think that your comparison was way off. What makes LHP so great is that small part that they ripped straight from the movie. Be it tribute or not.

Sorry mate, I disagree there. Sure that sample from Phantasm adds a lot to the track/atmosphere of the lp but to me there a hell lot more to LHP than just that. You get the best Nihilist song rearranged and properly recorded + several new crushers and you get the ultimate definition of Swedish DM. That record is to Death Metal what Kill'em All was to the Bay Area sound and Reign in Blood to thrash, a genre-defining masterpiece.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: