P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Live recordings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
puist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Live recordings Reply with quote

What is the best way to record a concert?

At the moment I only have access to a midi disk recorder which I should be able to plugin the soundboard. Does this have a good sound quality?
Tireheb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well minidiscs are quite obsolete in my opinion. You really should consider of getting Edirol R-09 that records on SD memorycards (cards can be up to 8 gigabytes or more). I've recorded from soundboard few times with it and got great results.

Edirol records on MP3 (up to 320 kbps) and WAV (up to 24 bits and 48 khz).

"You can't hide the hook!"
Kapalika

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never record on mp3, use wav always.

Minidiscs are not the latest fad but they still do a good job so if he has a good set up why not using it?
I have no advice for mics etc, sorry.
Ancient_Tyranny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Live recordings Reply with quote

puist wrote:
What is the best way to record a concert?

At the moment I only have access to a midi disk recorder which I should be able to plugin the soundboard. Does this have a good sound quality?

Should work well if the guy at the board did a good job. The only thing you have to take care of is that you get all signals in the output of the board you use. And keep in mind most small venues doesn´t put mics on all part of the drums so an additional mic capturing the whole audience/ room could be usefull.
puist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
I don't think I will be able to get other equipment (like mics) on such a short notice so I will stick to the minidisk.
Tireheb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edirol has built-in mic too, by the way.

"You can't hide the hook!"
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends all on how the gig is setup, what you have access to, and where you're stood.

If there is no issue with you plugging into the desk, and the majority of the instruments (main drum parts, vocals, guitars, bass) go through the soundboard, then that will certainly be your best option. If it's a smaller gig where everything isn't mic'd through the desk, I'd recommend you make sure your recorder can deal with high volume levels, and find a good place at the front by the stage where you can hear everything clearly.
Blood Of Von

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a laptop (if you are able to get a hold of one) and plug directly into the SB. And yes, don't use MP3. Also, you can film the gig and also plug the cam audio directly into the SB when filming and get killer audio from that. Do an audio rip from the recording. Alot of times guitars/bass will run through DI and when we play the drums are usually full micd up.

puist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blood Of Von wrote:
Use a laptop (if you are able to get a hold of one) and plug directly into the SB. And yes, don't use MP3. Also, you can film the gig and also plug the cam audio directly into the SB when filming and get killer audio from that. Do an audio rip from the recording. Alot of times guitars/bass will run through DI and when we play the drums are usually full micd up.

Well I have 2 laptops available.
Do I need special programs or connections the plugin and record?
rauta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puist wrote:
Blood Of Von wrote:

Well I have 2 laptops available.
Do I need special programs or connections the plugin and record?

If you have a good sound card (and I'd imagine you can rent one from a music shop as well) you should be able to record up to 8 separate tracks from the sound board simultaneously, which will enable you to basically rework the whole mix afterwards. There is quite a variaty of multitracker software that you can choose from. If you're not into such high-tech mumbo-jumbo just pic up whatever mics you have and try to capture the show from in front of the mixing table, where the sound is usually optimal for the venue.
Chit019

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, Japanese people are so good at this.
masters_throne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chit019 wrote:
man, Japanese people are so good at this.

Hehe...

We can expect some european harmageddononslaughts quite soon... Rolling Eyes

= KILL I =
= KILL II =
vk666

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the info so far in this thread is complete rubbish. Easily the best way to capture small live gigs is a stereo mic above/at desk (assuming that the desk is centered towards the rear of the room), for a start you get to hear how rowdy the crowd is. Majority of desk recordings turn out pus weak because only the kick, snare & vocals are at a high level, maybe bass and gats are reinforcements at best but usually much too quiet to be useful. DIed guitars are just wrong!! Its not until you have larger capacity gigs where everything is mixed properly that desk feeds become useful, and even then a live mix doesn't always translate into recording. If you don't have access to decent mics that can handle loud SPLs your best bet is probably a video stereo mic. Just get as much distance as possible between it and stage.

If you are gonna get a feed from the desk, go and hit up the sound guy BEFORE gig starts as well. As a sound engineer myself, one thing I fuckin hate is kunts coming up just as you're setting stage or checking levels for next band and wanting a feed right then. If you approach them early there is much higher chance of being able to send a separate auxiliary feed mixed for you recording that'll be a much more suitable mix anyway

OK rant over! Resume normal transmission ha ha...
H.K.Blasphemer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Record with video, convert to audio... Usually sounds good. Then you can mix it to however you would like. I guess it depends on what kind of video camera you use though... Nuclear Desecration did this for the Nuclear Demons Attack live 7", and it come out pretty horrible sounding in a cool way. People liked it, I didnt think anyone was going to like this.
Nocturnal Deathstrike

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H.K.Blasphemer wrote:
Record with video, convert to audio... Usually sounds good. Then you can mix it to however you would like. I guess it depends on what kind of video camera you use though... Nuclear Desecration did this for the Nuclear Demons Attack live 7", and it come out pretty horrible sounding in a cool way. People liked it, I didnt think anyone was going to like this.

You can just as well just use a regular cassette recorder to record than this way Very Happy Result should be more or less the same.

My experience is that the sound guys are usually pissed when asking them to record the show through the soundboard. Even when you bring your own recording device and all that you ask for is pluggin in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: