P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Has collecting music lost its lustre for you?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Throne_of_ahaz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still get the same enjoyment out of collecting records as I used to when I started in the early '00s. (I'm not necessarily as old as some of you guys).

I used to be a little like what was mentioned above, realising I was missing something from a band and having to have it now before paying over the odds for it, but I think most people do that at some point for one thing or another.

I also get more than one version of records a lot of the time. This isn't down to me being kvlt or having to have more than anyone else, I am very OCD about things like that and can't not add them to my want list and end up getting them as well. I play all my records. I am thinking about trying to reduce my collection to the most recent, black version of the LPs and selling off a chunk of rare stuff, but I don't think I'd be able to force myself to do that. The music and the collection of it go hand in hand in my opinion, and are very difficult to separate.

I also think that the increase in scope of the internet is both a plus and a minus. Prior to easy access to all records across the globe, it was hard to find anything out of print, however when you did, due to their being no analysis of sale prices, items were sold for a lot less. You have to take the rough with the smooth now, easier access while paying (sometimes) a higher premium. I have recently purchased original press Burzum and In the Woods... LPs for minimal figures of 20-30 euros a piece, so it isn't impossible to find a good deal.
deathster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUnborn wrote:
UlvhedinGrom wrote:
Living in a country like Ukraine internet is the only way to actually buy music.

So noone in Ukraine had an album in their house before the www?

If you mean 80s or early 90s, then pretty much its true. One album was brought behind the Iron Curtain and then 99% people had x-th generation casstte copies from it.
ImBlueIBelieveICanDie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have way over a 1,000 Cd's and vinyl records and really don't have enough room for anymore. I usually download in lossless format now and only buy new albums once in a while. Not enough room now so I have to put some in boxes.
UlvhedinGrom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUnborn wrote:
UlvhedinGrom wrote:
Living in a country like Ukraine internet is the only way to actually buy music.

So noone in Ukraine had an album in their house before the www?

We had, of course. Labels had their distro-lists, but there were very few metal enthusiasts back then. Also, there were more metal-shops in bigger cities. Bootleg tapes, too. Some of my friends had 2k+ bootlegged black metal tapes in the late 90ies. Right now I can only think of 2 shops in Kiev and Kharkiv, and even there you can't really buy anything worthy, mostly russian licenced cds and bootlegged t-shirts. Nowadays it' all really down to few internet-shops, some forums and that about it.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

Obsessive collecting sickness is a disease, a massive hoard of records is not an accomplishment of worth nor a worthy measure of status.

It's a damned plague.
spectre

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Has collecting music lost its lustre for you? Reply with quote

Saevus wrote:
It is funny that I will some times get more excited over finding a couple of cheap used Judas Priest LPs than the band new super deluxe record I bought off of an online distro though.

This says it all for me; Newer metal or whatever you want to call it is all trends. It's pitiful.
Saevus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Has collecting music lost its lustre for you? Reply with quote

spectre wrote:
Saevus wrote:
It is funny that I will some times get more excited over finding a couple of cheap used Judas Priest LPs than the band new super deluxe record I bought off of an online distro though.

This says it all for me; Newer metal or whatever you want to call it is all trends. It's pitiful.

That's not what I meant at all. My sentiment was just that it's often more exciting coming across some random find, even something fairly common, than just buying something offline from a distro. However that doesn't stop getting some die hard version of a new record or box set in the mail from being awesome.
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthplague wrote:
I can't tell you the amount of times I've picked up an album, realized it was good but couldn't get into it, and tried for years and years for it to "click" before it finally did. It's an odd sensation. It took me years to get into some of my favorite albums, actually.

It was this way with me for Burzum's Hvis Lyset Tar Oss. It seemed like crap, until one day I figured it out. I love that feeling; it's like finding a hidden room in your own house.

Dalen wrote:
It lost a big part of its excitement mostly due to the music itself. There are lots of cool new releases out there, but desperately few can hold my attention for 20+ listens. While I keep on listening to older records over and over again..

Same. I think a lot of the stuff now is trying to either reinvent or re-live the past, which is a mistake. You have to find the inspiration of the past, and put it into your own voice.
outlaw-recordings

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the interesting thread topic, and discussion that has followed too! Where are all the usual completely pointless comments that seem to permeate these discussions!? Has the housecleaning of the NWN board really worked that well??! I hope so!

As one who is old enough to remember the days 'before the internet' I also have seen the way that the collecting scene was changed by it, in some ways for the better and in some ways for the worse. We also used to search the shops, go to record conventions, read Goldmine and Record Collector magazines (remember those!!?), stand in line for money orders as somebody mentioned... but yes, that all changed pretty quick.

I still remember when I first started seeing these weird things called "web sites" with lists of records, it seemed fucking bizarre at the time! Then there was eBay, that blew the market wide open. In good ways, and bad ways.

But through it all I still get excited when I find a record I've been looking for, in a store or convention (which rarely happens any more) or online (more frequently), it's the same thrill. I still love collecting records, even though the ways I actually 'hunt for them' and find them has changed.

And as for the whole discussion about labels/limted/etc etc... well I have a lot of thoughts on that too, but in a way I feel like that should be saved for and brought up in a different thread. I've ranted enough for today!
outlaw-recordings

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to the discussion of "limited edition releases", I suppose instead of starting a new thread I should just post this link to one I dug up from the grave that we had on here long ago:

http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16890&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Weltering in Blood

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
I think people put to much stock in the prices of discogs - it's easy to look at releases, see that some fuckwit is charging 80 euros for something and resign yourself to not having it, but if you're patient odds are it will happen at a reasonable price. I parted with a bunch of stuff recently and sold a ton of records really fast (and used the profits to buy more records Smile ) because I was realistic in what I was charging and didn't jack up the shipping prices to pad out a few extra bucks from the buyer.

And I've had amazibg luck filling in the gaps in my collection via my wantlist and for a fair price as well, but it takes patience. If you watch for an item chances are it'll wind up being listed for a fair price at some point. You just can't get everything all at once and I think some of us forget playing "the waiting gane" for our favorite albums.

Like just because there are a ton of listings for some record on discogs at a high price doesn't mean anyone is actually buying them. I really have to question the cognitive processing of some sellers. A record is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.....

Sgree about Discogs. A lot of sellers are hoping someone will be stupid (or rich and stupid) enough to pay those prices. I've found morer often than not that sellers there will accept a reasonable offer for their stuff. Course, there's lots of other sellers (usually Italians) who it looks like really don't want to sell their stuff at all. Sold a few things there myself, always gave reasonable prices and usually ended up selling the stuff within a few days. Like you I sell records to buy records, I find it the easiest on the conscious when buying expensive wants. Wink
Morbid Obesity

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch wrote:
Yes.

Obsessive collecting sickness is a disease, a massive hoard of records is not an accomplishment of worth nor a worthy measure of status.

It's a damned plague.

I couldn't agree more with this.

In the cd scores thread alone there are people buying 100+ cds a month. How can they possibly listen to all that enough to really appreciate it? The answer is they can't but they just like having a lot of cds sitting on the shelves. It's sad.
holycaust

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morbid Obesity wrote:
Demoniarch wrote:
Yes.

It's a damned plague.

I couldn't agree more with this.

In the cd scores thread alone there are people buying 100+ cds a month. How can they possibly listen to all that enough to really appreciate it? The answer is they can't but they just like having a lot of cds sitting on the shelves. It's sad.

I'm not sure what everyone else's memory is like anymore... but I remember when I was fifteen with no real responsability, and collecting all the various Conan formats available at that time, Conan Saga, The Savage Sword, Conan the King, Conan the Barbarian, and the novels... I could recall from all those hundreads of copies I had between those formats every cover, and knew when I found an issue of something if I already had it or not... zero error...

Fast forward to 37 and a plethora of bullshit adult responsability and I sometimes have bought the same CD twice, I have no clue what the hell is stacked in that collection anymore all the time... can't even recall what is in there on every album anymore at this point either.

Now is that a collection to take pride in ? I don't really think so anymore, it's just a horde of stuff I managed to afford... and in todays market it is easy to aquire a lot of stuff... sure lots of it sounded good at first listen via the little promo samples, but in the end so much of it is all sounding the same at this point.

The love of collecting lost ? Certainly a little. I've been doing it too long and have aquired too much.
Was this a good or bad influence of the internet ? Wink
Saltrubbed Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selling is just as satisfying as buying, especially if you don't lose money on the item, I have a modest collection because I've done a lot of weeding and pruning regularly in the past.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: