P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Has collecting music lost its lustre for you?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
under a funeral shroom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay and Discogs have definitely ruined the used market more than likely forever.
Werewolf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only for those who prefer to whine about these 2 sites, instead of taking advantage of them.
UlvhedinGrom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in a country like Ukraine internet is the only way to actually buy music.
TheUnborn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Has collecting music lost its lustre for you? Reply with quote

Doomerology wrote:

With the internet it has become too easy to obtain any release that you want (if you have the money). Which brings me to my question: Where is the fun in collecting anymore?

True, it's not about having a bit of luck when searching in different stores anymore, it's all about the money. If you have the money, you have a great collection without lifting a finger.
TheUnborn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UlvhedinGrom wrote:
Living in a country like Ukraine internet is the only way to actually buy music.

So noone in Ukraine had an album in their house before the www?
under a funeral shroom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:
Only for those who prefer to whine about these 2 sites, instead of taking advantage of them.

Not really whining, I've bought and sold on both of them but I don't think it's a coincidence that used shops now price things unreasonably high (or hold online auctions) rather than putting them out with the rest of the stock and pricing them fairly. Of course, if you want one the 100's of copies of the same Genesis or Boston lp's for $1 you're safe. If anything, ebay is better for buyers anymore because at least you can decide the maximum price you want to pay, as opposed to discogs where most sellers idea of pricing is taking the highest price from ebay sold auctions/popsike then adding 25%.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No

I still get a thrill when I get some killer new music, whether its from flipping through used record racks, or seeing a package waiting for me when I get home from work.
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internet isn't killing record collecting. A lack of patience is. The idea of having to make an effort to find LPs 20 years ago really just boils down to having to write some letters and wait. Nowadays if you are patient you can just wait until someone offers an item you want at a decent price (or you can be impatient and buy the copy that is on sale RIGHT FUCKING NOW for way too much money). It's all about having to own something RIGHT FUCKING NOW. If you have that mindset everything is more expensive from plane tickets to metal records.

If you don't like prices, just fucking wait until they get better.
astralvesl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

under a funeral shroom wrote:
Werewolf wrote:

Not really whining, I've bought and sold on both of them but I don't think it's a coincidence that used shops now price things unreasonably high (or hold online auctions) rather than putting them out with the rest of the stock and pricing them fairly. Of course, if you want one the 100's of copies of the same Genesis or Boston lp's for $1 you're safe. If anything, ebay is better for buyers anymore because at least you can decide the maximum price you want to pay, as opposed to discogs where most sellers idea of pricing is taking the highest price from ebay sold auctions/popsike then adding 25%.

Really? I find discogs to be regularly cheaper than eBay. Sure you get the occasional jackass charging an outrageous price but I'd still say you find more deals on discogs than eBay.
under a funeral shroom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with you there, it's can sometimes be years before I find a want at a decent price, and I have no problem with waiting.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people put to much stock in the prices of discogs - it's easy to look at releases, see that some fuckwit is charging 80 euros for something and resign yourself to not having it, but if you're patient odds are it will happen at a reasonable price. I parted with a bunch of stuff recently and sold a ton of records really fast (and used the profits to buy more records Smile ) because I was realistic in what I was charging and didn't jack up the shipping prices to pad out a few extra bucks from the buyer.

And I've had amazibg luck filling in the gaps in my collection via my wantlist and for a fair price as well, but it takes patience. If you watch for an item chances are it'll wind up being listed for a fair price at some point. You just can't get everything all at once and I think some of us forget playing "the waiting gane" for our favorite albums.

Like just because there are a ton of listings for some record on discogs at a high price doesn't mean anyone is actually buying them. I really have to question the cognitive processing of some sellers. A record is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.....
under a funeral shroom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

astralvesl wrote:

Really? I find discogs to be regularly cheaper than eBay. Sure you get the occasional jackass charging an outrageous price but I'd still say you find more deals on discogs than eBay.

It really depends, if it's a newer release or something that there's not a lot of demand for then yes, discogs prices are generally pretty fair. Only speaking from my experience, but the second something is OOP or rare I all too often find things to be ridiculously overpriced. At least with ebay I can ignore the auctions that go too high and wait until a reasonable one pops up. Again, it requires patience.
the wizard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never bought a single shit on ebay, nothing can beat the non specialized 2nd hand stores where u find items at a fair price.
And always a good day when u open the mailbox and an order u placed is waiting for you .

Edit*: So the answer is no.
SepticSchizo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt start collecting metal again until I got internet, back in 2000. Up until then I had to make do with my bay area thrash cd`s. So internet has atleast for me, been a sorce of finding great music. I never did trade tapes, or buy fanzines etc, simply because I wasnt aware of the possibility. Sure your underground got bigger with the internet, I dont care.
aiezue

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UlvhedinGrom wrote:

Same here in China, we only have a distro selling gay black metals.

Good traders/sellers: Frghl, s.charlach, DTD, Drones, Monad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: