P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Has collecting music lost its lustre for you?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doomerology

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Has collecting music lost its lustre for you? Reply with quote

I've collected metal in various formats since the early 90's and despite the fact the my tastes in metal has changed slightly as I aged, I have always searched for that one (or 100) piece(s) that would fill a hole in my collection.
With the internet it has become too easy to obtain any release that you want (if you have the money). Which brings me to my question: Where is the fun in collecting anymore?
It use to be that you would write to contacts, send money to labels (wait 4 to 8 weeks), go to the travelling record shows or fairs, just pop into local record stores.......
Has the excitement of discovering a new band, or finding a specific release lost its lustre for you? For me it is not age, because I still get excited when I find something of interest in a local shop.

I guess I miss the magic of the "good ol' days" when you had to make an effort to obtain a release.
Saevus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Has collecting music lost its lustre for you? Reply with quote

Doomerology wrote:
It use to be that you would write to contacts, send money to labels (wait 4 to 8 weeks), go to the travelling record shows or fairs, just pop into local record stores.......

I still do all of this quite a bit. It is funny that I will some times get more excited over finding a couple of cheap used Judas Priest LPs than the band new super deluxe record I bought off of an online distro though.
Sunnportal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live 300kms from the nearest record store so i've never had the joy of doing much traditional metal shopping.

Bloody love the internet haha.
eighthplague

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunnportal wrote:
I live 300kms from the nearest record store so i've never had the joy of doing much traditional metal shopping.

Same here, more or less.

Also, I absolutely do not miss mailing cash to random labels in the middle of no where and half the time not getting jack shit back. Nor do I miss tape trading. I have fond memories of getting certain tapes, but not the process at all. But then again, I'm not very nostalgic.
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Has collecting music lost its lustre for you? Reply with quote

Doomerology wrote:
I've collected metal in various formats since the early 90's and despite the fact the my tastes in metal has changed slightly as I aged, I have always searched for that one (or 100) piece(s) that would fill a hole in my collection.

I never was a collector.

I also don't just buy what I like.

I buy whatever is good, and hang onto it until I understand it.

Sometimes, I have things I acknowledge as good that I do not like.

But usually, once I understand them, they are important.

I then throw away the stuff that is not good.

There is just no point wasting the time.

A lot of it is valued by collectors but I think they're barking up the wrong tree. It only stays valuable so long as there are other collectors. When the collectors move on, it loses all value.

Where a solidly good release will always have value because it's always clearly thought-out, about something, competently executed, etc.
eighthplague

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Has collecting music lost its lustre for you? Reply with quote

Conservationist wrote:

Sometimes, I have things I acknowledge as good that I do not like.

I can't tell you the amount of times I've picked up an album, realized it was good but couldn't get into it, and tried for years and years for it to "click" before it finally did. It's an odd sensation. It took me years to get into some of my favorite albums, actually.
Dalen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It lost a big part of its excitement mostly due to the music itself. There are lots of cool new releases out there, but desperately few can hold my attention for 20+ listens. While I keep on listening to older records over and over again..
little_raven

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthplague wrote:
Sunnportal wrote:

Same here, more or less.

Also, I absolutely do not miss mailing cash to random labels in the middle of no where and half the time not getting jack shit back. Nor do I miss tape trading. I have fond memories of getting certain tapes, but not the process at all. But then again, I'm not very nostalgic.

THIS.
Also: excitement nowadays = getting a copy of a limited-to-100 tape before it's sold out in an hour

probert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes
dalecooper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like effort; I like music.
DrkKnight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thrill I get going into the various record stores and finding some gems never gets old. It's my only vice, honestly. I guess I'm addicted to that rush because I go out record hunting at least three times a week.

While I have taken sabbaticals between collecting sojourns, I always come back hard because I miss it when I'm not adding to the library.

Good deals: Travis N., xyosefx, Dark Descent, captainretardo
Piotr Sargnagel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a collector but what I really enjoy now that I didn't back in the day (early 90s) is spending a bit of money (I tend to buy from trusted dealers, not e-bay) on a record, say 25, sound unheard and then getting something amazing. Liege Lord, Dofka and Saracen spring to mind immediately. For that I have a tendency to avoid youtube because it could spoil that magic for me!
Dalen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is absolutely correct. I still buy stuff blindly, but only in the case of "special offer" CDs at record stores.. Sadly, it's the budget issue. I prefer spending a few bucks on something I'm sure I'll enjoy.
Haunt In The Dark

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ruined "record collecting" for me (even if I never considered myself a proper collector) is the fact that nowadays, a lot of people buy records to gain credibility or some kind of status within whatever community they belong to, be it digital or in real life. I know underage people who'll spend three times my rent in records each month in order to try to look cool to older lifers or people who actually know what they buy or listen to. Or sometimes they just do this to show off in record scores threads but wen you start discussing the music with them you realise they don't know shit about it. I'm not interested in that nor in those clowns. I hardly ever look at record scores threads anymore nor care about "filling holes in my collection" with overpriced records. I'll leave that to the sad basement dwellers and internet warriors who don't anything more interesting to do with their lives.
Vega360

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Short Run factories collecting underground stuff = pointless.

My favorite LPs are the ones I get from the local record store for 25 cents a piece. Seeing as all sound is digital now, owning the new Nastrond LP for example doesn't really matter much. Black Metal vinyl is quickly on it's way to becoming a joke like tapes have done so. We killed analog guys.

Tapes = Instant fail now, made for extras and simply retarded. Demos used to be 10 minutes/3 songs to practice/make mistakes/promote the music. Tape versions of something USED to be so people could own difficult to import albums cheaply, pay $12 for a CD and import it or $4 for a tape from a local label. Now it's not that, nobody has any idea what the difference between a demo and a full length is. What the "tape version" of the album is, or is supposed to be.

Collecting CDs, well I don't think anyone ever cared enough to collect those. Of course people will ruin that up to as making releases for collectors = $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Merch, well if you think owning a TS of 3 naked dudes is worth collecting then um yeah your either a woman or in need of professional help.

I only now randomly buy older reissues of stuff other people actually know about. Knowing something about black metal = making you a more effective label owner. Cause nobody cares if the only way you can describe something is by saying "sounds like and contains cover of Darkthrone,Burzum,Mutiilation,BBH, Bathroy etc..."
www.vinlandspecialservices.bandcamp.com
www.vinlandss.wordpress.com
www.ilsakoch.wordpress.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: