P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

CD Mastering Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetalHell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: CD Mastering Questions Reply with quote

Hey folks,

I've got the finalized remix files for Tengger Cavalry 'Sunesu Cavalry' CD and am putting it together using Sony CD Architect and I will have a UPC code but I don't have it this minute. What does adding the UPC code to the CD master do for it?

Also, I can add artist, track title, album title, engineer, etc. but I can't figure out how to add the tiny album cover graphic. Does this software not have that ability (which one does) or is that what the UPC code does once the album is published??

I already have Cakewalk Pyro Audio Creator and it made a good Disk At Once Master CD that plays everywhere but I couldn't add the track info to anything other than MP3s and I need a Redbook compliant audio master for replication.

Any input you label folks can give me would be great!
ADB

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't need the UPC code for the master, I've never needed it. Heaps of underground releases don't even have it. UPC code is just a barcode so that shops and warehouses can keep easy track of the stock they have (and a few other things too).

The "tiny album cover graphic" thing you're describing and track names can't be put on an audio disc (with some exceptions, like multimedia discs). Some software will let you put track titles on, but I always never put it on in case it fucks up the manufacturing process. Those pics come from the artwork being uploaded to online libraries later (which you can do yourself).

Red Book compliance these days isn't really necessary, most CDRs burnt fit the specifications and some of those specifications have been superseded as it is (ISRC is not always needed / automatic / will be taken care of by the manufacturer and the minimum track length can be shorter than 4 seconds).

Basically just make sure that it is an audio disc, you've burnt it as slow as possible, disc at once with no re-write enabled.
rauta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The meta-data on audio discs is largely useless so the safest option is to go without any fancy trinkets. To go by the book you need to burn a single audio wav file (instead of separate audio tracks) divided into indexes by a cue sheet. This also works if you're submitting masters online, just forward the pressing plant the two files, the audio wav + the cue sheet.
MetalHell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks!

I keep trying to burn a Master with the CD Text (Track Title, Artist, Album, etc) but it's not working always comes out with:

Track 1, Unknown Title, Unknown Artist, Unknown Album
Track 2, Unknown Title, Unknown Artist, Unknown Album
Track 3, Unknown Title, Unknown Artist, Unknown Album...

Same as if I'd have just used Windows Media player. Razz

I burn in Disk At Once mode at 10x (slowest) with a pre-render to the harddrive and uninterrupted laser dump onto the CD-R. I do have "Write CD text" box checked on the burn disk dialogue box.

It plays great just can't get it to display that nifty info on my PC like when I stick in most CDs. Even the Necrovore demo CD has it...

I created the cue sheet with no problem.
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated before, the CD information isn't really relevant, I've never bothered with it, never been asked to. Timecodes or separate tracks will work fine, if you've burnt it at the lowest speed then you're done.
ADB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pulling that CD track info off the net, not from the CD. Every pressed CD has an ISRC that the computer can check against libraries off the net then get the CD track information. Once it's in your computer it won't generally forget (like if you use your computer offline, it will still remember).

It's the same as where you get those little album cover pictures when you stick CDs in (sometimes), it's not on the CD but on the net.

DISCLAIMER: SOME CDs do have track names, but that's about 0.0001% at the highest.
holycaust

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- The RedBook CD standard can include various metadata in the CD-text.
That info
can contain ISRC, EAN, artist/performer, label, album title, tracktitles,
composer, lyricist and arranger. Engineer and cover art is not part of this
standard.
darkdescentrecords

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CD text is not needed. I've had problems with it in the past and have had to resubmit masters because the replicator had trouble with CD text.

As ADB said, all that stuff will get uploaded to the net anyway. The main thing is getting a great sounding master to replicate.
MetalHell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks!

I will just worry about getting a good master on there then. I am not sure about programming the ISRC numbers so I've left those blank are those needed? I do not think the factory will put them on the disk since they claim to "only copy exactly what you send us".
ADB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard of a manufacturer that doesn't put it on there (maybe there are a few, or they use a similar system) but no, you don't need to worry about them.

CORRECTION: If they're burning CDs they won't put them on, but pressed CDs do have them (according to research, I haven't actually checked any CDs to see how many do or don't Wink )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: